Archived stiff, sore and confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I can't even imagine what black friday will be like. I wanted to work just 20 hours a week as seasonal but Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday totaled 27 hours alone and it was my first real week plus I am taking night classes at the local junior college. I'm really sore from lifting and bending over while unloading the trucks each day plus putting items on the floor. Today when I showed up the backroom people were already in a bad mood. Apparently no one had taken out the cardboard from the tubs and there were no tubs for the hourly fillings etc. We had over 40 batches an hour to fill and it just wasn't pleasant. I'm really new and I felt like people didn't think of me as part of the team since I was so slow and still struggling to find the proper locations for items plus having to deal with lots of questions from customers.

Hang in there, you will get better. 4th quarter madness.

This.

But anyways 4th quarter is where the hours will be and where seasonal is most needed on Black Friday week and more or less throughout the Holidays. I know from experience school and work is tough at the same time and I've had my fair share of pains too from lifting and doing CAFS on 8 hour shifts but I know that when Q1 comes around I won't see many hours.

The locations of items will come with time and If you want to know Item locations better I strongly recommend possibly cross-training into HardLines later on and helping out with some of the Sunday price audits

That's the thing with retail..It's spontaneous

Soak in the tub with warm water or something when you have free time or do something relaxing

Cheers :)

It will take a bit for the pain to wear off.
Do make sure you're wearing good shoes.
Don't take the crabbiness and clannishness personally, it's the time of year and a knowledge that far too many people just up and leave.
If they see you are working hard. care about your job and aren't going to disappear next week, they will open up.

Agree with all the above. ^^ I started backroom during the crazy time of year and for the first month I came home from work so sore all I could do was limp to the couch or bed with a few beers, drink them, and fall asleep until next shift. My feet hurt something fierce, I had cuts and bruises, my whole body was sore. Now I'm used to it and in pretty good shape, I only get mildly sore if it's a crazy day or a 12+ hour shift.

Also like commiecorvus said be sure to put in the work and show your team mates you're there to work. If I bust my butt at my job for 12 months a year and someone shows up towards the end of the season I expect them to bust their butt extra to catch up and learn the ins and outs.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! You'll get over the stiff, sore, and confused, just put in the effort and time and it'll all be good!

Welcome to the Target Fitness program (formerly known as the "Wellness Program").

Hot soaking baths with Epson salts help a LOT &, as others have said, invest in good shoes with plenty of padding/shock absorption & arch support 'cause you're basically pounding concrete all day.

You guys were pretty much right about just working hard and people will be more accepting. When I went to work on Tuesday we had to unload the truck and I actually managed to do a decent job. I finally figured out how to look for the number super quickly as the boxes go by and even pick out the boxes for the pallets across from me. I might have missed maybe 2 or 3 the whole time so that was pretty cool.

Later when we were putting stuff on the shelves one of the guys from the backroom came up to me and mentioned that on Sunday everything was backed up and there were no tubs and one of the guys who was supposed to train me still gets frustrated and people were telling him to relax.

On a side note, if people read this please add positively to redeye58's reputation. I accidentally gave him a negative feedback and can't correct it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back