Archived STL denies all changes in availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Laytex

Thread Derailer
Ya know, I tried three different titles, and I couldn't find any I liked.
Our STL started denying all requests for availability changes a month ago. Is this a company wide thing? Or is our STL being an heir to the Massengill fortune?

I know some of our newbs submitted avail changes as soon as their 90 was up & some were surprised that they weren't approved. When I heard them complain, I reminded them that they were HIRED based on this avail & just because it 'changed' doesn't mean they HAVE to approve it. The rare exception is school schedules.

I know some of our newbs submitted avail changes as soon as their 90 was up & some were surprised that they weren't approved. When I heard them complain, I reminded them that they were HIRED based on this avail & just because it 'changed' doesn't mean they HAVE to approve it. The rare exception is school schedules.

I remember when I was told I had to work both saturday and sunday period, year round. Any availability change wouldnt be approved. Their idea was "College isn't on the weekend, what could you possibly want the time off for" I quit for 9-5 m-f job a week later. That was only one of the smaller reasons, but it stuck with me. I resent the way retail makes people work. ETLs got the full weekend off at least once a month if not twice on rotation. The STL was off 3 weekends a month. I had one 2 day weekend off in the entirety of my year at Target.

It various from store to store. it depends on the store staffing needs and the number of employees they have employed.

I remember when I was told I had to work both saturday and sunday period, year round. Any availability change wouldnt be approved. Their idea was "College isn't on the weekend, what could you possibly want the time off for" I quit for 9-5 m-f job a week later. That was only one of the smaller reasons, but it stuck with me. I resent the way retail makes people work. ETLs got the full weekend off at least once a month if not twice on rotation. The STL was off 3 weekends a month. I had one 2 day weekend off in the entirety of my year at Target.

GSA/GSTLs get every other weekend off too, at least at my store

I used to work most weekends when I used to do carts (did get SOME off I guess, just not very many), and being a college student I didn't really find it to be a big deal. Target let me tailor my M-F schedule around my school needs.

I haven't heard about anything like this happening in my store, though it wouldn't surprise me.

GSA/GSTLs get every other weekend off too, at least at my store

Our 3 GSTLs and 2 GSAs rotate weekends. For example, GSTL A opens and GSA B closes this weekend, then GSA C opens and GSTL D closes next weekend. Not sure how our ETLs do it.

Our stores GSTL staff rotates on a 3 or 4 week rotation..

But, anyhow, yeah the store hires you based on your open availability, and for most parts if your availability changes due to a legitimate reason (school..) they will approve it. But, what won't be approved is a request to get "Friday Nights" off, or weekends off, or only from 5pm on during the week.. it's just way too hard to schedule around that.

If you have a legitimate reason, ask your STL what's up.. if you don't have a reason I would recommend asking for trades!

Not just GSTL/GSA but every team lead has rotating weekends in my store. Etls have the same schedule every weekday and then alternate weekends with the exception of STL, I think she only has a weekend once a month if that.

But, anyhow, yeah the store hires you based on your open availability, and for most parts if your availability changes due to a legitimate reason (school..) they will approve it. But, what won't be approved is a request to get "Friday Nights" off, or weekends off, or only from 5pm on during the week.. it's just way too hard to schedule around that.

If you have a legitimate reason, ask your STL what's up.. if you don't have a reason I would recommend asking for trades!

It's difficult for me to get to work on Wednesdays, not impossible, just difficult. I figured it's just a Wednesday what's the big deal. We have a GSA that can't work before 5, half the store never works weekends. And while I'm on the subject of weekends: It's our busiest two days, why do we let the "A" crew have weekends off?

If I was a new hire the open availabilty argument works, but I've been here 5+ years. Also, it's a store wide thing.

End whine.

For nearly the first 2 years I worked at my store I never got a Wednesday off unless it was a holiday or a callout/time-off request. I always thought it was weird I'd get the the occasional Sunday or Friday off yet never a Wednesday.

Eh, not a big deal. Was just wondering if this was a Target thing. Guess it's just my STL.

Your stl, indeed. I work weekends am & Friday nights because I made side deals with them. They close saturday & Sunday's nights once a month with Friday off. No complaints yet.

Our GSTL/GSAs rotate weekends as well, in example of:

A and B work weekend, A opens, B closes
C and D work next weekend, C opens, D closes
A and B work next weekend, B opens, A closes
C and D work next weekend, D opens, C closes
and then it all starts over from the beginning.

~~~

I actually got next Sunday off for the first time in, well, forever!

I just wonder how long that'd last... :p
(as in, will I get called in? will someone ask me to trade? WHAT CAN HAPPEN, woooo)

Our GSTL/GSAs rotate weekends as well, in example of:
A and B work weekend, A opens, B closes
C and D work next weekend, C opens, D closes
A and B work next weekend, B opens, A closes
C and D work next weekend, D opens, C closes
and then it all starts over from the beginning.

I wish our schedule was like that. We're rather disfunctional.

At our store, only TL's and above get rotating weekends off or even two days off in a row. We have some people who have been working here a year without two days off in a row. Our HR people tell us to talk to the TL and the TL's tell us to talk to the HR people and it ends up in a great big pile of bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back