Archived STL Watching You on the Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of our GSA's told me today that she was written up because the STL was watching her on the camera. ( I find that a bit creepy ) He told our GSTL that he observed her talking to our AP a little too much and that she spent too much time with the cashiers. I am wondering if he ever took into consideration that she was doing her job and not 'chit chatting'. I have had the GSA come up to Guest Service to help me with guests, just today; in my 8 hour shift; I had to call her up there 5 times. It was for guests and not to hang out and talk. I am just wondering if our STL has some other agenda for watching her or if he watches everyone. I understand if the Team Member has done something wrong, but to my knowledge the GSA has not. Also, she has been part of many apprehensions of guests, and I would think that talking to AP would be a great thing to help them out; be an extra set of eyes. Honestly I think that she does an awesome job and that she does very well with interacting with the guest, and with the other team members. One thing that our old HR would tell us is that; 'Fast, Fun and Friendly' is not for us to get to know the team that you are working with, but only focus on the guest. Guest are number one because they are the ones that give us our paycheck. Also, for us not to become friends with your co-workers or have fun at work either. I let him know that we are all human and not robots.
I just have a feeling that the STL is going to fire her and that would suck greatly.
If anyone has ever had this situation at their store I would appreciate any feed back.

Yeah I don't think they can issue corrective actions/terminations based on camera evidence unless it is in regards to loss prevention...

Of course they can find other ways to get rid of a tm they know they want to be rid of.

I know that using the cameras as a way to document, but with out audio, how would you know.
I am not sure if the HR is aware of the situation.
I let her know that they don't 'fire' you that they push you to quit. How they do it at my store is that you they give you one 4 hour shift a week til you can't take it anymore then you quit. Sad that they do that.

Last edited:
One of our GSA's told me today that she was written up because the STL was watching her on the camera. ( I find that a bit creepy ) He told our GSTL that he observed her talking to our AP a little too much and that she spent too much time with the cashiers. I am wondering if he ever took into consideration that she was doing her job and not 'chit chatting'. I have had the GSA come up to Guest Service to help me with guests, just today; in my 8 hour shift; I had to call her up there 5 times. It was for guests and not to hang out and talk. I am just wondering if our STL has some other agenda for watching her or if he watches everyone. I understand if the Team Member has done something wrong, but to my knowledge the GSA has not. Also, she has been part of many apprehensions of guests, and I would think that talking to AP would be a great thing to help them out; be an extra set of eyes. Honestly I think that she does an awesome job and that she does very well with interacting with the guest, and with the other team members. One thing that our old HR would tell us is that; 'Fast, Fun and Friendly' is not for us to get to know the team that you are working with, but only focus on the guest. Guest are number one because they are the ones that give us our paycheck. Also, for us not to become friends with your co-workers or have fun at work either. I let him know that we are all human and not robots.
I just have a feeling that the STL is going to fire her and that would suck greatly.
If anyone has ever had this situation at their store I would appreciate any feed back.

I'm sorry but this bothers me. She has not been a part of many apps. She may have served as female witness but she has not been a part of them. If she has actually physically assisted in detaining a subject someone needs to be fired and it isn't her. Oh and coaching from cameras is not allowed. If you see it on camera and then exit the office and see it in person it is allowed but pure camera coachings no joy. And honestly no STL would be stupid enough to tell a TM they were being coached based on cameras.

Imerzan you are correct, she has pointed out the guests to AP and let them know what she has seen. In turn for that help the guests have been arrested.

I know that using the cameras as a way to document, but with out audio, how would you know.
I am not sure if the HR is aware of the situation.
I let her know that they don't 'fire' you that they push you to quit. How they do it at my store is that you they give you one 4 hour shift a week til you can't take it anymore then you quit. Sad that they do that.

Dont a bunch of the newer built stores have audio cams? I know my old store did.

We do not. If we did I bet there would be a lot more people that would have been 'let go' because of what is said.

To be honest, you're not supposed to coach of camera, but if the STL happens to be watching and you're not doing what you're supposed to be doing/standing around talking/laughing, the STL can interpret it how he wants. No, he probably won't officially coach you, but he'll take a mental note and keep it in the back of his mind for next time he's on the sales floor and sees it. You gotta remember, the STL is human too and can draw conclusions based on what he saw off camera (Right or wrong), although a formal coaching probably won't be in the works. Chances are, the redcard scores or low or something and he was curious what was going on at the front end when leadership isn't up there. Or they are just looking for something to fire the GSA. Once someone doesn't like you (for w/e reason), ESPECIALLY the STL (WHO IS THE GOD OF THE STORE), you're as good as gone. They'll find a way to performance you out/cut your hours/ make it miserable for you so you quit.

The GSA got coached and written up by the GSTL. I feel that the GSTL is a 3rd party and that if the STL had a problem that he should have been the one to coach and/or write her up. I know that the GSTL is her boss, but if the GSTL was not the one to see the GSA on camera, then how is it that her responsibility to write up the GSA. Also, I have no clue if AP was in the office at the time, but I am willing to bet that they were not. So how do we honestly know if the STL is full of crap. Granted I found this out yesterday, but I will be doing a little more digging of myself to find out the truth.
Thank you all for letting me know that you cannot be coached for what is seen on the camera.

Work as if there is always a camera on you. I agree about the talking part; since he can't hear you he won't know what you're talking about. Maybe...

Once again, the STL can do ANYTHING he wants. Literally. The DTL's/Biz parthers will ALWAYS take the STL's side.. no matter what. I know.. it sucks.. but Target sees an STL so many times more valuable than any TM/TL.. obvi 6 figure-worth. Plus training an STL takes months upon months, versus 1/2 shifts for a TM. In summary-- they can/will replace you a lot easier than an STL. I know.. it's a cruel world.

Gag, back away from the situation for a minute. Listen carefully. This is only to help you.
MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

I do want to clarify a few things for you, so that in the future you can present yourself better.
First and foremost, the STL should not be coaching/writing up TM's, that's working two levels down. It is the GSTL's responsibility, you are now speaking about position responsibilities and you're clueless. There's a chain of command and it needs to be followed, otherwise, why have it. For your work center it goes, STL -> GE-ETL -> GSTL -> GSA. I've written up my team for things done when I'm not in the store because it's my responsibility to prepare and deliver corrective action.

Secondly, you are going off of one side of a story, the side that got put on confidential corrective action. Why would this GSA go around telling others she got written up? For the drama? To gossip? To try and seem innocent? You do not know what happened, you do not know any of the conversations, you do not know how long this problem has been going on, you do not know how many chances they have given her, it seems you do not know a lot about this situation.

Third, the STL is not going to risk his job by watching someone on camera and following up strictly based off of that. You better believe there are other issues (that you are completely unaware of) going on.

Lastly, your comment about digging around to get the truth is just ignorant. This isn't X-files and you're not Mulder. Stop your rumors and gossiping, do your job, and stop creating drama.

Agree with stupid.

Not much you can do op, this situation is between the GSA and the gstl/management.

Don't push the situation, just focus on you. The GSA might not be giving the whole story anyway.

As others said, coaching on camera is against the rules.

Well, I guess I got my answers that I was looking for, although some of the comments were a bit harsh, I thought that everyone should know that the GSA quit today.
Personally, for my job security, I would like to know what a STL can and cannot do, and there are people above him that can fire him. It is not like he is invincible. Before this current STL, the last 2 we had got fired, so I know that it can happen. I just wonder how many other people out there in Target land have been screwed and I bet a few of you that have commented on this post in the last 2 days have been as well. I know I have, and I am not on here posting what has happened to me because I know how to deal with the problems that I have had in the past 8 years, but I came on here for help concerning a STL doing something that I know isn't right. Knowing that coaching and/or write ups can not be done off the camera is something that is a great fact to know. I was on here not to gossip or half-truth anything, but I would like help for another co-worker. It is a sad thought to think of when I see what others have posted, the harsh comments, I feel that I am at work having that angry guest coming up to me and cussing me out for not apparent reason. They do it because they don't care about you at all and the fact that if they are loud enough you will give them anything that they want just so they will leave the store. I did not come on here to get scolded but the get help.

It is rough doing the vibe thing with a unreasonable guest, it's happens to me too.
Now to your question about cameras. At my store, my mgt doesn't do it, because my stl wants everyone on the floor helping guests, doing cafs or whatever. No hiding in tsc.
It is suggested to document all events. If you know an etl who you trust & will say nothing to anyone else, ask them about your concerns. But remember, keep it in first person(you). That should help you get a better understanding of things and some answers.
For now, be patient, stay focus, & do your job. Spot will come around, eventually.
I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back