Survey as to how many hours you want

I think this is also in another thread.

Why the big rush to ask how many hours TMs want?

I have heard that they are going to "cross-train" more so they can move people around more.

I was scheduled outside of my department for the first time next week.

However they have always let me work in other departments if I pickup a shift.

Thoughts?

There should have been ongoing discussions about desired hours since last September. The aim is to keep team members. Hours stabilization is seen as a great way to do this. So, if you want 35 hours per week, but are averaging 24, the idea is to cross train you to take shifts in sfs (for example) rather than hire for that department.

The chem DBO’s are always complaining that the tm’s that work in the dept on their off days overpush and push to wrong locations, requiring them to waste time to fix and backstock. They want more hours to work in their dept. so that others don’t need to ‘Help’.
Happens at my store .😕

The chem DBO’s are always complaining that the tm’s that work in the dept on their off days overpush and push to wrong locations, requiring them to waste time to fix and backstock. They want more hours to work in their dept. so that others don’t need to ‘Help’.
In my store that wouldn’t matter if we gave them more hours for their areas. When you take 6 and 7 trucks weekly those DBO’s are going to need days off and someone has to cover those areas. We have a few “floaters” and none of them take as much care and pride in the area as the DBO does.

In my store that wouldn’t matter if we gave them more hours for their areas. When you take 6 and 7 trucks weekly those DBO’s are going to need days off and someone has to cover those areas. We have a few “floaters” and none of them take as much care and pride in the area as the DBO does.

When DBOs have a day off at my store, no one covers their area. On the rare non-truck day the only TMs in the store are Plano and fulfillment. And maybe a couple people in Market.

Its another one of those we want to make sure the existing team is happy and feel appreciated. It helps us understand the needs of the store so we can hire appropriately. Whether or not they actually try amd give you what you ask for for more then a week is to be seen. Not to be cryptic or anything but even the best intentions seem to be forgotten pretty quickly once pressure is put on them to reduce hours and increase productivity.

The ETLs were literally screaming at everyone today on the walkies to get them done. My brother works at the target store I started at across the state, and even he said they are really taking these surveys VERY seriously.

Let's just see what comes of them because this company isn't exactly reputable with their promises.

Last edited:
Turnover is expensive. Keeping TMs happy is good business.
I think a bigger issue in my store is varying start times.

My new schedule has FIVE different start times which is typical.

I am only scheduled in one department usually.

The difficulty with set schedules is that people still want to be able to get any days off that they request. So, if your kid has a dentist appointment, or you got concert tickets, or invited to a party, I have to schedule someone else to work. Now that "someone else" doesn't have a set schedule. Don't get me wrong, most Targets can do much better. When I offered a set schedule to my small team, but told them they had to work out with each other when the needed one of their set work days off, they preferred to keep things as they were.

Target made a concerted effort a few years back to reduce TM hours so they'd lose their insurance. Better for the bottom line.

I don't think it'll make any difference. We still have 8-10 callouts/day and swap shift board is 4 pages deep.
When the ACA (Obamacare) passed, I really think that Target thought that the insurance offers would be better for the under 30 hours than what they could offer. That didn't work out, as we all know. Unfortunately, when that didn't pan out, Target didn't step up to the plate.

When the ACA (Obamacare) passed, I really think that Target thought that the insurance offers would be better for the under 30 hours than what they could offer. That didn't work out, as we all know. Unfortunately, when that didn't pan out, Target didn't step up to the plate.
🧐

I think Target is only worried about the bottom line. And it’s image.

No real concern for actual team members. Maybe a few good Leaders at the store level care, but corporate does not.

It’s all money and metrics.

Target made a concerted effort a few years back to reduce TM hours so they'd lose their insurance. Better for the bottom line.

I don't think it'll make any difference. We still have 8-10 callouts/day and swap shift board is 4 pages deep.
I would like to see the frequency of "call outs" and "posting shifts" versus the hours you are scheduled for the week.

That affected me. I was .24 too less in avg hours and lost my families insurance. I was really pissed at target that year.

It actually HAS been better for me, better insurance and free. I have no underlying medical conditions and am in good health so YMMV.

I missed insurance by a very slim amount this year...
That year they raised the limit without notice. It was very crappy of target. Instead of letting us know a year in advance so we could work on our avg hours, they raised the limit from 20-32 to get insurance. Even tho Obamacare said the limit was only 30. I had 31.something avg hours and qualified according to Obama but not target. When a month prior I only needed 20. I was sooo pissed!

it wasn’t until the next year and probably some employee complaints about the discrepancy, that target lowered it to 30.

Back