Archived Target among 13 stores probed for hourly wage practices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have so got to learn not to read the comments.
The number of people who seem to have either worked in retail when they were putting themselves through college twenty years ago or never worked worked retail at all in that thread was astounding (and really painful).
To defend a company who sends people home when they walk in the door for work or schedules them for a couple of days with the express intention of calling them in for the rest of their schedule is just mind boggling to me.

>>The number of people who seem to have either worked in retail when they were putting themselves through college twenty years ago or never worked worked retail at all in that thread was astounding (and really painful).<<

I've said for years that all able bodied teens should be allowed the honor and glory of working retail at Christmas and fast food in the summer so they become adults with a bit more compassion than what most have. A few weeks, or for some just days, of that would change their tune. Ha.

>>The number of people who seem to have either worked in retail when they were putting themselves through college twenty years ago or never worked worked retail at all in that thread was astounding (and really painful).<<

I've said for years that all able bodied teens should be allowed the honor and glory of working retail at Christmas and fast food in the summer so they become adults with a bit more compassion than what most have. A few weeks, or for some just days, of that would change their tune. Ha.

To mime what CommieCorvus was saying, some people do a short stint in retail and think they know what it's like years later. One thing I've always hated hearing is "I used to work here", yeah... in 1993. And you want to complain about our sales floor coverage? Our budget is less than half of what it was then, and our sales are four times greater. You got a pat on the back for helping someone select a blender? Today you get questioned why you didn't sell out your endcap. It's not the same world, we don't have the same demands, and while the majority of us would legitimately love to provide you with the level of [reasonable] service you desire, the truth is we simply aren't in that model any longer.

The comment section was hard to read. Most people never worked retail in their life, or they haven't worked in a really long time. I bet some of them are retired or something like that. Also, when you work for yourself you'll never experience the pressure or hoping for hours that other people get. Not all of us chose to work retail, either.

Luckily my store has never done any of that crap.

But I am surprised both Barnes and Noble and Pier1 are not on that list, as I know both companies engage in that practice as well.

"Ok Mr. business person, can you hire me? I don't have any experience or a degree in your field, and there are dozens of other applicants, but still..."

Right?! Like do people honestly think there's a lot of job opportunity for what's generally considered an unskilled labor market?

Job applications these days be like:

tumblr_nmk2agWTz61unrz6ko1_540.jpg

My store does not do this at all -- they only call people in if there are call outs. Is this normal elsewhere?

My store does not do this at all -- they only call people in if there are call outs. Is this normal elsewhere?
Your store actually calls people in if someone calls out? That must be nice. But in all seriousness my store doesn't seem to do most of this stuff.

Years ago I showed up at work ( we were 4 am then)...the flow tl ( backroom tl was off that day ) said umm Tgtguy what are you doing here? I said I am here to work and kinda smiled ( I thought he was being funny). He then said I cant let you clock in ( being the worrier that I am I thought oh shit I am being fired) I asked why...he said well they had to cut hours and you were cut. I then said, " well I drove almost 30 minutes to get here...I mean you guys could have called me last night or better yet I was here all day yesterday" He said well I am sorry. I was pissed...they did this to three other people that morning as well. So, we all turned around and went home. The next day I was scheduled off...guess what about 7 am the phone rings...and its Spot...hey can you come in today? I thought.HELL NO! I did speak to the hr/etl the next time I was scheduled....she simply told me that the four of us were overlooked and didn't get a call about not coming in.She said well at least you got an extra day off! I then mentioned about being called the day after to come in...she said yeah and you didn't even call us back....I mean you could had at least called and said you couldn't come in. I looked at her and said well I guess I assumed since I was scheduled off I didn't have to call to tell you...I wasn't coming in. I mean I wasn't called and told not to come in when I was scheduled . She looked at me as if I had just ripped ass in her office...so I said well thank you for your time and left. The stl came to me a couple days later and apologized for the overs sight and reassured me that the not being called was a true accident, If I had gas I would had just let it go at the moment....and hoped he choked on it .

Last edited:
Your store actually calls people in if someone calls out? That must be nice. But in all seriousness my store doesn't seem to do most of this stuff.

Our store never calls people in either. Heck during a snow storm one time I think 10 people on flow team called off and they still made everyone leave early because "payroll was tight"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back