Archived Target Cross Training POLICY!....???

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my store, the GSA's are either cross-trained in Food Ave or Starbucks. There are also many of the male GSA's that will sometimes do carts. Often the GSA's are also scheduled Photo/Service desk.

I myself have loved cross-training. I had a little training in bike building (it was rather fun!). I asked the TL in charge of electronics to cross train there shortly after I started & he had me over there in no time, & I still help out over there from time to time. After helping my CTL do the re-set of P-fresh one day, (& the presentation TL saw me helping) I've been in presentation several times & half the time I run circles around the people that do it everyday.
Cross training is a great way to get hours, and also a great way to break up a monotonous routine. I love P-fresh, but often I look forward to my days in electronics/HL/Presentation.

To the OP: Can leadership 'force' you to train in an area you don't want to? Yeh, if they designate it as part of your core role.
But know this: they'll be watching to see how you perform. If you throw a tantrum about how you 'didn't sign on for this', they can pull you back to a cashier status faster than you can say "blink" & offer the opportunity to someone else. They'll also mention it during your annual review & it WILL determine IF you see any kind of raise (not that Spot's raises are anything to rave about).
Friendly advice: Suck it up & do the additional training. Learning different areas breaks up the monotony (& cashiering IS monotonous), gets you more hrs and - depending on how well you do - could get you moved to another area before long. Sometimes you might even find an area that you liked in spite of yourself.

They say this is the best time to cross train and everything but I'm finding it somewhat difficult as I see there is hardly enough hours for me to be cross-trained I guess.

Same. My ETL-HR a while back was "cross-train! sign up here to cross train in the areas of your choice!"

I signed up for guest services, softlines, backroom dayside, electronics, instocks, bikes, and photo-lab.

I got electronics trained, which I already knew how to do, I just wanted it to be on file. After me continuing to ask her about it, I finally got guest service trained.

And this was right before fourth quarter. We had the hours for training >.>

Still new obviously, but I feel like talking and making friends with the TLs for certain areas is the best way to get cross trained/more hours. I keep getting asked by other TLs if I want to move to HL or Starbucks permanently. My ETL GE finally caught wind of that (Usually work with the other GSTL and GSAs) and is trying to give me more cashier hours now. Imagine that.

To the OP: Can leadership 'force' you to train in an area you don't want to? Yeh, if they designate it as part of your core role.
But know this: they'll be watching to see how you perform. If you throw a tantrum about how you 'didn't sign on for this', they can pull you back to a cashier status faster than you can say "blink" & offer the opportunity to someone else. They'll also mention it during your annual review & it WILL determine IF you see any kind of raise (not that Spot's raises are anything to rave about).
Friendly advice: Suck it up & do the additional training. Learning different areas breaks up the monotony (& cashiering IS monotonous), gets you more hrs and - depending on how well you do - could get you moved to another area before long. Sometimes you might even find an area that you liked in spite of yourself.

This. It also shows your store that you are flexible and I've noticed a willingness to learn goes far :)

Great answer,rg. My suggestion is to op now is, do it& get training done for the training meter in hr. More points for you.

Maybe because I'm new, and a wanna be know-it-all, that I want to be crossed trained everywhere! I don't think any position is beneath me. Though, I scrub enough toilets at home, I wouldn't want to do it at work.

Do you get PAID to scrub toilets at home?
Just sayin'

Have you SEEN how some guests leave the bathroom?
Yep & I've got a husband & 3 boys at home (middle school-high school) who seem to have an aversion to putting the seat down, much less flushing. And those are the GOOD days.....:bad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back