Archived Target Food Delivery/Pick-up Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asuras

Starbucks Shift Supervisor
So last week, my store (Super Target) got a new giant refrigerator in the back of our store (near our meat department). Apparently it's to store food products for Online Orders for either pick-up by the guest or delivered via third party company.

Any one else hear anything about this?

So last week, my store (Super Target) got a new giant refrigerator in the back of our store (near our meat department). Apparently it's to store food products for Online Orders for either pick-up by the guest or delivered via third party company.

Any one else hear anything about this?

I am not surprised. There are some stores near HQ that are getting food remodels that are supposed to align with the CEO's new food direction (just testing right now). if it works out we should hear big announcements over where we are heading.

Really? Well, my store has this convenient area in the front of the store where people can get their prescriptions filled. The pharmacy. Oh wait ... Losing money. Forget that idea.

But I hear Target is expanding into Canada and it's great. Oh wait ... Billions lost.

But Target has this great streaming service called Target ticket. Oh shucks.

I wonder why Target can't just focus on what makes profit. Groceries, in general, are not that profitable. That is why Kroger has expanded into clothing.

So, that big new refrigerator ... All I see is lost $$$$.

Maybe I'm wrong. Time will tell.

But groceries don't need to be highly profitable! They get people in the store to buy the other crap Target sells. Target can turn food into a large profit source if they would just invest the money. Our stores need more team members in general, but in food especially! Quality is a huge issue. Dates to by very quick on our products. If you know a PA or food TL, they're probably ran ragged. Target isn't profiting from food as they should because a lack of man hours, not interest. I hope this improves, but I'm unsure if Cornell will commit to such a thing. Also, the waste issue really needs to be addressed. Target is willingly and needlessly throwing out money through the the food departments.

Our customer base for our store knows we don't have large selections like Whole Foods or Kroger. They know many products aren't competitively prkces(refer to sodas and beer.) They come to Target knowing they can get what they need(groceries) and can find stuff they want for their home or cheap clothing.

I think food delivery will be a big business if costs are low enough for end consumers. Right now with oil prices, it may not be. There's a shift in how people see vehicles driven by Lyft and Uber, though. Self driving cars are around the corner. We are after convenience, and nothing about grocery shopping is convenient. It costs you time and you often buy products you don't intend to(Target's business model.) It's going to be a slow start, but I would be surprised if this model wasn't successful for Target or another competitor.

If Target half asses it like they've done other roll outs, it will likely fail. They will have to address the awful accumulator in place to ensure order accuracy. They will have to address the issue of quality as well. Saying we have 20 bags of rice to buy only to find out the bags of rice are two days from the best by date after an order is placed would be disastrous. A better method for SDA needs to be applied.

But groceries don't need to be highly profitable! They get people in the store to buy the other crap Target sells.
That's exactly the problem with this. People won't be going into the store and buying other stuff any more. At least with the dry grocery shipping that's currently being tested, guests can and do still buy non-food items as well that we can ship out in the same box.

But with perishables, it would need to be completely separate and would add a lot of costs in storage and temperature-controlled shipping.

Perishables being shipped oh god kill me now I will quit and move to Giant if they think I'm dealing with some food delivery nonsense.

That's exactly the problem with this. People won't be going into the store and buying other stuff any more. At least with the dry grocery shipping that's currently being tested, guests can and do still buy non-food items as well that we can ship out in the same box.

But with perishables, it would need to be completely separate and would add a lot of costs in storage and temperature-controlled shipping.

It is a problem, but Target faces a larger problem: missing the boat. If they don't jump in on this and potentially change their strategy, they're going to receive more competition and be behind.

It is a problem, but Target faces a larger problem: missing the boat. If they don't jump in on this and potentially change their strategy, they're going to receive more competition and be behind.

It's a boat they can miss. It's not like we have to be running to catch the boat. Let it leave. It may sink anyway. I'm not convinced home food delivery is a solid business model for the general public. Maybe some niche markets, but not for average family.

Grocery delivery is mainly used by the disabled or the lazy in our area. We had services that did that kind of stuff for a while, but they tanked. A few select private drivers can be found on Craigslist, but that's it.

If Target decides to fully (Or..rather hap-hazardly) roll this out, its going to hurt business. Food is already priced higher as it is than other retailers, so why add a fee for delivery? How about that man power for the skeleton crew? Are we using company vehicles or putting a spot logo on our vehicles? Commercial driver's insurance?

The only other food delivery is from specialty companies (For meats, gourmet food, etc), but those tend to be fairly expensive as well...

Uber is poised to take on food delivery, and we have seen how disruptive Uber's influence can be.

when they place their order there should be a disclaimer that they have to agree to ...
that in no way, there will be any returns, even when, there is mold found on your fruit or the bacon air tight package is not so air tight or your meat looks not up to par.

Absolutely NO returns on Food ordered over the internet. This is one way to get rid of my qmos

Last edited:
Uber is poised to take on food delivery, and we have seen how disruptive Uber's influence can be.

Uber is getting a little desperate because their transportation model is having its ass kicked in a number of places across the country.
I think they are trying to stay one step ahead of some of the changes that are coming.

The problem with this, like so many of Spots programs is it isn't consistent.
They aren't going to give stores the hours to pull it off properly and the TMs won't be trained properly from one store to another.
It will be half-assed in its implantation and they will either kill it because it won't do well or limp along for years just adding to the layer of stupid with assorted revamps.

Uber is getting a little desperate because their transportation model is having its ass kicked in a number of places across the country.
I think they are trying to stay one step ahead of some of the changes that are coming.

The problem with this, like so many of Spots programs is it isn't consistent.
They aren't going to give stores the hours to pull it off properly and the TMs won't be trained properly from one store to another.
It will be half-assed in its implantation and they will either kill it because it won't do well or limp along for years just adding to the layer of stupid with assorted revamps.

I havent kept up with uber news
Spill the tes whats nrw

Uber is ran by ruthless shitbags, but that doesn't negate how they've transformed the local transportation industry. PostMates has a head start, but with Uber's infrastructure, UberEats and all other delivery variations will most likely be successful. If Target can leverage Uber's capabilities, there's no doubt in my mind they can succeed. That is, provided they don't fuck up the stuff that should already be fixed(quality, availability, and staffing.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back