Archived Target Job App--Hours Per Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PassinTime

I understand the online job application has changed, with changes to both the screener questions and the breakdown on the amount of hours/per week that a new TM is looking for. Can anyone verify the new breakdown categories from which a new applicant would choose? I know one option used to be 15-20, but that's changed apparently. The max. hours per week has gotten much broader. Neighbor wants to apply, but doesn't want too many hours per week knowing that my old store over schedules regularly.

Can anyone help with this info?

I am an HR TM and I screen all applications before setting up interviews. It does not show me the questions and answers. I can only see if they passed with G (Green) Y (Yellow) or R (red). If the applicants scores an R we can not have them come in for an interview. It does not happen very often. The applications show me their preferred hours and their maximum hours. They can put down 15-20 for preferred and 15-20 for max if that's what they want to work. We are always glad when we see applications with the preferred hours stating 15-20 or 20-25 hours because it's Target and not very many people are full time. If your neighbor only wants to work let say 20 hours a week, have him/her put that down as preferred AND maximum hours. If he/she gets called in for an interview he/she should mention that to the interviewer again. I was originally hired for 15-20 hours/week but I have been full time since week two!

I know some questions are a little tricky. I overheard a few applicants complain/cuss when they took the questionnaire on the application kiosk. Cussing and complaining does not help with the online questionnaire at the kiosk, but it will decrease your chance of getting an interview by 99.99% :p.

I hope this helps a little, I have a terrible migraine and can't think straight. Feel free to inbox me with any questions and I will answer tomorrow when I can think straight.

At my store we care more about their actual daily availability than their preferred hours. If you can only work 20 hours but you have open availability to help us when no one wants to work (weekends), we will work with you!

LUR99, since I got an email stating that they could not offer me a position at this time....does that generally mean anything specific? Or does it depend? I was hoping to at least get an interview, surprised I got rejected. I thought I did ok on the assessment. A lot of the questions had choices which both made you look bad, so I wasn't sure what to pick. Could it be that my store just isn't hiring at the moment? I was thinking of maybe going to the advertised hiring event at my store to see if meeting with somebody in person may help. I wasn't able to explain that my nephew works there, and the fact that I've been a stay at home dad for many years, versus just being lazy and not working over the past 15 years by choice. Would the fact that I've got denied eliminate me from having any chance if I attend this event?

LUR99, since I got an email stating that they could not offer me a position at this time....does that generally mean anything specific? Or does it depend? I was hoping to at least get an interview, surprised I got rejected. I thought I did ok on the assessment. A lot of the questions had choices which both made you look bad, so I wasn't sure what to pick. Could it be that my store just isn't hiring at the moment? I was thinking of maybe going to the advertised hiring event at my store to see if meeting with somebody in person may help. I wasn't able to explain that my nephew works there, and the fact that I've been a stay at home dad for many years, versus just being lazy and not working over the past 15 years by choice. Would the fact that I've got denied eliminate me from having any chance if I attend this event?

You can check the hiring needs of each store by going to the computer kiosk for applicants. We are required each week to post our latest list of the positions we are hiring for.

Again depending on the district the assessment may mean nothing. My colleague Lur99s store actually uses the assesment but as a "hard to staff" store mine does not at all.

The number one reason we deny people without a phone call or interview is availability. People who refuse to work weekends or close typically fall into this bracket at my store. We also sometimes deny people if we dont have an opening for their position.

I try to at least give people a call and see if they can open up their availability but the other HRTM just flat out denies them. It depends on who sees your application.

Unforunately when you are denied you go into a system called JAS turndown. It prevents you from reapplying for 60 or 90 days @LUR99 could confirm.

While I hope a hiring event works out for you, typically that is to get new applicants so there is no guarentee they will reconsider you.

HRZone, so in your opinion, could calling the store help? I could open up my availability if that was the only reason they rejected me. Or at least clarify it.

HRZone, so in your opinion, could calling the store help? I could open up my availability if that was the only reason they rejected me. Or at least clarify it.

Yes, I would call and let them know that you can open up your availability. Just recently, someone I had turned down based on their availability called me and we talked over the phone for a little while. He was able to open up his availability and I had him come in for an interview. He's starting next week.

It is possible that, they don't have a position open right now or not the position you applied for. Your application stays in our system for 6o days, if you are turned down, we can still pull up your application.

I would give your store a call and ask to be transferred to HR. Don't call on Monday mornings though, that's when we are super busy with payroll :). Thursday mornings are bad too because we are working on the schedule.

Good luck!

Lurs answer was spot on, calling shows iniative and that you really want the job. When I have a hard time tracking someone down for an interview, sometimes its an unfortunate sign of things to come.

If you build any rapport with the HR person, ask them where they have needs in the store and that you are willing to serve there.

Yeah, ok. I will wait til Tuesday and call. Something like..."Hi, my name is blah blah....I had put in an application 2 weeks ago and got a email saying they could not offer me a position, but thought following up (or should I say was told?) with a call might help me land an interview?" "I thought maybe it was my availability that was the reason I didn't get called for an interview and I may be able to open it up a bit?" Something like that anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back