Archived Target policy on employee references

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is it? If an employer were to call Target for a reference, what information would they release? I know some places only give out date of employment, while others give reasons as to why he/she left etc.

If I am terminated, what kind of info will they release?

If I resign without giving two weeks notice or let go, can I negotiate and see if I could get a reference that wouldn't screw up my employment history? (It's a special situation).

The only info a former employer can offer is that yes, you worked there from *start date* to *end date*.
The prospective employer may ask if the former employer would hire this person back. The former can only say yes or no without elaborating.
If "No", it will be up to the employee to give the prospect any backstory & whether the prospect believes the employee enough to risk hire.
Anything more can open the former employer to a lawsuit.
Target, as a rule, doesn't offer references & usually refers prospective employer questions to corp HR for verification purposes.

The only info a former employer can offer is that yes, you worked there from *start date* to *end date*.
The prospective employer may ask if the former employer would hire this person back. The former can only say yes or no without elaborating.
If "No", it will be up to the employee to give the prospect any backstory & whether the prospect believes the employee enough to risk hire.
Target, as a rule, doesn't offer references & usually refers prospective employer questions to corp HR for verification purposes.

Really? My manager informed us the other day that if you don't give in your 2 weeks notice prior to resignation, you won't get a reference. I wonder what he meant by that?

Really? My manager informed us the other day that if you don't give in your 2 weeks notice prior to resignation, you won't get a reference. I wonder what he meant by that?

He's trying to pull one on you to ensure that you'll give notice. The only way you'd get a referral from spot is if an ETL liked you enough to offer a personal reference.

What is it? If an employer were to call Target for a reference, what information would they release? I know some places only give out date of employment, while others give reasons as to why he/she left etc.

If I resign without giving two weeks notice or let go, can I negotiate and see if I could get a reference that wouldn't screw up my employment history? (It's a special situation).

Information and references are NEVER given for anyone.
Anyone who calls is directed to call the tmsc.
There's a company called 'the work number'and the tm needs to allow access to the info.
Giving this type of information puts Target at risk.
If someone wants to give a reference personally, that's another story.

There's a company called 'the work number'and the tm needs to allow access to the info.

So if I am filling out a job application and indicate that it's OK to contact my former employer for a reference, Target will just confirm my dates of employment?

So if I am filling out a job application and indicate that it's OK to contact my former employer for a reference, Target will just confirm my dates of employment?

First you need to know that half of what TMs have told you so far is only half right.

There is absolutely no law that prohibits an employer from telling outsiders why you were fired. The *only* time an employer could face legal consequences for this would be if they crossed the line into slander/libel (which is very hard to prove). Basically, it would have to shown in court that the employer knowingly lied about you and that it caused you damages. In other words, pretend you simply got fired for not showing up, but your employer told anyone who contacted them for a reference that you got fired for stealing. That would cross into libel/slander and you could sue them. However, if they said you got fired for not showing up for work (the truth), they are untouchable.

Now, company policy is a totally different story. If company policy bans employees from telling references the reasons you don't work there anymore, then that is an internal rule that HR must follow. Fortunately for you, target has such a policy. All Target will tell them (via the worknumber, as was noted above) is dates you worked, your title, and if the term was voluntary or not. (How do I know? I called the number myself after I quit Target the first time because I was curious about just this thing) Therefore, if you think you are going to get fired, you need to quit before they can do so. Otherwise, your term will go down as involuntary, which looks bad.

My advice to you? Before you leave get the phone numbers of some ETLs and TLs if you are cool with any of them. They cannot provide references for you now, but there is a high chance that at least some of them will *not* be working at Target within the next 1-2 years. (ETL turnover is crazy right now) Once they no longer work for Target, they will be free to give references for you in the future.

Second thing - unless you have a college degree and are applying for jobs that actually require a college degree, it is incredibly unlikely any employer will actually check references. If you are applying for retail or any other job that only needs a high school education (or less) they simply don't care enough to check. So don't worry about it.

First you need to know that half of what TMs have told you so far is only half right.

There is absolutely no law that prohibits an employer from telling outsiders why you were fired. The *only* time an employer could face legal consequences for this would be if they crossed the line into slander/libel (which is very hard to prove). Basically, it would have to shown in court that the employer knowingly lied about you and that it caused you damages. In other words, pretend you simply got fired for not showing up, but your employer told anyone who contacted them for a reference that you got fired for stealing. That would cross into libel/slander and you could sue them. However, if they said you got fired for not showing up for work (the truth), they are untouchable.

Now, company policy is a totally different story. If company policy bans employees from telling references the reasons you don't work there anymore, then that is an internal rule that HR must follow. Fortunately for you, target has such a policy. All Target will tell them (via the worknumber, as was noted above) is dates you worked, your title, and if the term was voluntary or not. (How do I know? I called the number myself after I quit Target the first time because I was curious about just this thing) Therefore, if you think you are going to get fired, you need to quit before they can do so. Otherwise, your term will go down as involuntary, which looks bad.

My advice to you? Before you leave get the phone numbers of some ETLs and TLs if you are cool with any of them. They cannot provide references for you now, but there is a high chance that at least some of them will *not* be working at Target within the next 1-2 years. (ETL turnover is crazy right now) Once they no longer work for Target, they will be free to give references for you in the future.

Second thing - unless you have a college degree and are applying for jobs that actually require a college degree, it is incredibly unlikely any employer will actually check references. If you are applying for retail or any other job that only needs a high school education (or less) they simply don't care enough to check. So don't worry about it.

Solid information, thanks.

However, do you think I could negotiate something prior to leaving? I may be let go because of a long, complicated situation. Only a couple high ranking folks are handling it and are cool, reasonable people. Do you think I could persuade them to put my record of employment down as something positive i.e me leaving on good terms (voluntary)? Is such a thing possible, taking their policies into consideration and all? If I call in and tell them I quit without giving adequate notice, am I screwed?

"However, do you think I could negotiate something prior to leaving? I may be let go because of a long, complicated situation. Only a couple high ranking folks are handling it and are cool, reasonable people. Do you think I could persuade them to put my record of employment down as something positive i.e me leaving on good terms (voluntary)? Is such a thing possible, taking their policies into consideration and all? If I call in and tell them I quit without giving adequate notice, am I screwed?"

Possibly.

In the professional world, what you are talking about is known as "resignation in lieu of termination", and I don't see why it couldn't happen here.... Basically resignation in lieu of termination happens when an employee knows that his/her employer wants to terminate them, but the employee realizes that they still don't have enough "dirt" on them to do it easily. So the employee cuts them a deal - you offer to give them your two weeks notice (or less, if that is what they want), and they put it down in your record that you quit voluntarily instead of the actual reason why they were planning to term you. The benefit for the employee is that it does less damage to their record, and benefit to the employer is that they don't have to keep spending time trying to get enough dirt on you to term you.

The problem is, this deal only works if they still don't have enough to term you. If your ETLs have enough on you already (or are very close to it) they may not be willing to make this deal with you. Since they haven't termed you yet though, you may still be in a position to bargain.

Basically you need to walk in to your ETL-HR's office and offer her the deal outlined above. She will either accept it or she won't, but based on what you have said so far, I wouldn't be at all surprised if she accepts it.....

Target policy does not allow for "references". The only thing you can get from Target is your dates of employment, which is provided by The Work Number. The TMSC can provide you verbal details of your job positions and wages, etc, but if you need something in writing, either you or the prospective employer will have to call TWN. No one from your TL up to your STL or HRBP, no one is allowed to give references of any kind. However, if one of them wants to PERSONALLY do so, NOT as an employee of Target, but just as a PERSONAL reference, they could probably chose to do that, but again, it would be against policy (technically)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back