Target price match guarantee- is it a sale or is it clearance?

is it clearance (not eligible for price match) or is it a sale?
What do you do when guests come in and want price matches on all of their holiday decor and even lights? The website is indicating its a sale. What about the small appliances that are marked down. It doesn't help that in some cases around the store, the markdowns are with clearance signs and in other places- like the christmas scented candles with sale signs.

I believe there was a communication that even though clearance signs are to be used, in the system the items are not classified as clearance. (The explanation was that these items would then still be eligible for online ordering) Follow the Zebra.

Thanks. Not quite a scan though, as most are using a bar code from online ordering and then I would have to ask to hold the phone, find the item and then punch the code into the zebra and then if eligible punch the code into the register for each of multiple items. Then refund each item and then ring them up again at the current price for multiple items. That is the way the system works for digital receipts/ barcodes ( no option to price adjust for most of these).

What do you do when guests come in and want price matches on all of their holiday decor and even lights? The website is indicating its a sale. What about the small appliances that are marked down. It doesn't help that in some cases around the store, the markdowns are with clearance signs and in other places- like the christmas scented candles with sale signs.
It’s not a sale it’s a clearance . Communication was clear that everything is 50% clearance . You just leave it as a sale for flex tm to find it.

It’s not a sale it’s a clearance . Communication was clear that everything is 50% clearance . You just leave it as a sale for flex tm to find it.

Yes but also....not quite. For some items (anything not located in Rear Seasonal), it is sale not clearance and it is those items that signed as clearance but are still eligible for fulfillment. If they were clearance they would no longer be eligible. They scan as pending PLU and on sale for 30% off.

It's really just a technicality/semantics but that's the workaround for keeping these items flowing out of the store for OPU or SFS and hence the reason this question was asked. It creates a loophole for guests now to take advantage with price match and OP wanted clarification.

Yes but also....not quite. For some items (anything not located in Rear Seasonal), it is sale not clearance and it is those items that signed as clearance but are still eligible for fulfillment. If they were clearance they would no longer be eligible. They scan as pending PLU and on sale for 30% off.

It's really just a technicality/semantics but that's the workaround for keeping these items flowing out of the store for OPU or SFS and hence the reason this question was asked. It creates a loophole for guests now to take advantage with price match and OP wanted clarification.
What’s the loophole? It will be the same in store as online

What’s the loophole? It will be the same in store as online

In store we sign the items as clearance (which is ineligible for price match) but the items ring up as sale which CAN be price matched. Loophole.

Those kinds of guests are super annoying. Problem is that denying them rarely works because they are trying to take advantage to begin with, so is there a manager I can speak with? Yes, and they will do it to get the person out of their hair lol.

Those kinds of guests are super annoying. Problem is that denying them rarely works because they are trying to take advantage to begin with, so is there a manager I can speak with? Yes, and they will do it to get the person out of their hair lol.
Not really. Target has guaranteed that anything bought that goes lower in price until Dec. 24th will be adjusted and that we price match Target.com. Guests at our store are aware and bringing in those receipts and checking the website. This is exactly what Target was advertising and the guest is not being unreasonable.

Not really. Target has guaranteed that anything bought that goes lower in price until Dec. 24th will be adjusted and that we price match Target.com. Guests at our store are aware and bringing in those receipts and checking the website. This is exactly what Target was advertising and the guest is not being unreasonable.
That's not what the guarantee says.

How does the holiday price match policy work?

Starting October 6, 2022, if you purchase an item in store or online and the price goes lower at Target on or before December 24, 2022, you can request a price match. Proof of purchase is required for price adjustments after purchase. Target store price matches and adjustments are completed at the store on any lane. For Target.com purchases, call Target.com Guest Services at 1-800-591-3869.

Visit here for more information on Price Match Guarantee, guidelines & limitations and exclusions.

Exclusions
  • Clearance, closeout, liquidation sales, damaged, used, open package, refurbished, pre-owned, or rent/lease to own items, storewide or category promotions, offers advertised as % or $ off, non-branded items, or prices that only display on a website after guests log in.
It still links directly to the list of exclusions, which references clearance.

I have made use of the price match twice this year . It was for some clothing purchase and when it had a sale after a couple weeks I had online chat with customer service and they honored the new price . Got the best deal 😀

I think it's unreasonable to bring in Christmas decoration receipts for a few dollars, during the craziest busy times of the year. It's really inconsiderate of everyone's time, though I agree the policy as advertised would lead guests to think it's legitimate price matching.

That's not what the guarantee says.

How does the holiday price match policy work?

Starting October 6, 2022, if you purchase an item in store or online and the price goes lower at Target on or before December 24, 2022, you can request a price match. Proof of purchase is required for price adjustments after purchase. Target store price matches and adjustments are completed at the store on any lane. For Target.com purchases, call Target.com Guest Services at 1-800-591-3869.

Visit here for more information on Price Match Guarantee, guidelines & limitations and exclusions.

Exclusions
  • Clearance, closeout, liquidation sales, damaged, used, open package, refurbished, pre-owned, or rent/lease to own items, storewide or category promotions, offers advertised as % or $ off, non-branded items, or prices that only display on a website after guests log in.
It still links directly to the list of exclusions, which references clearance.
True. But this is what the guest sees 'Shop early, shop with confidence this holiday season. Starting October 6, 2022, if you purchase an item in store or online and the price goes lower at Target on or before December 24, 2022, you can request a price match. Proof of purchase is required for price adjustments." and since Bringing Joy is our goal, we are told to bring the joy. The exclusions, etc. are listed under Price Match not Holiday Price Match. I'm not arguing with you about it, just pointing out the reasons this has been accepted.

2023 Price match Question. And Circle offers.
Listed in the exclusions from the price match policy
  • Target Circle offers, gift card offers (Target GiftCard, specialty and pre-paid gift card), Registry completion coupons and Target coupons cannot be combined with price match. Manufacturer coupons will be applied after a price match is made, for in-store purchases only. Please review our Store Coupon Policy for additional details.
So how do you deal with someone who comes up and says I bought this last week but today there is 30% off? I tell them that is a circle offer that is not applicable for price match but if they want to bring the items back in and return them and rebuy them with the offer they can. Is that what you guys do or do you do it from their receipts or app receipts without the items?

2023 Price match Question. And Circle offers.
Listed in the exclusions from the price match policy
  • Target Circle offers, gift card offers (Target GiftCard, specialty and pre-paid gift card), Registry completion coupons and Target coupons cannot be combined with price match. Manufacturer coupons will be applied after a price match is made, for in-store purchases only. Please review our Store Coupon Policy for additional details.
So how do you deal with someone who comes up and says I bought this last week but today there is 30% off? I tell them that is a circle offer that is not applicable for price match but if they want to bring the items back in and return them and rebuy them with the offer they can. Is that what you guys do or do you do it from their receipts or app receipts without the items?
I give them the 30% off without them bringing the items in.

It’s sale unless it’s past the holiday.

Back