Archived Target Social Media Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what is Target's Social Media Policy...aside from sharing confidential information which isnt an issue here. I was questioned about some very vague work-related jokes (3 posts in 2 years) I made on Facebook today. Was told it wasnt going to be taken past the conversation I had but Im still concerned about what level of action can be taken.

Exactly what is Target's Social Media Policy...aside from sharing confidential information which isnt an issue here. I was questioned about some very vague work-related jokes (3 posts in 2 years) I made on Facebook today. Was told it wasnt going to be taken past the conversation I had but Im still concerned about what level of action can be taken.

The policy is *highly* subjective. Basically, you can not post anything the makes the company look bad publicly.

The problem is, you never know if something personal you post (even saying it is your personal opinion) is going to go "viral".

You might post on Facebook "Nice job decorating the break room for St Patricks day party!" and then next thing you know some a** hole reporter for the Podunk Alabama Times writes an article with the headline "Target Employees Party on St Patricks Day While Guests Wait".... and then uses your Facebook post as "proof" TMs were having a party while he was waiting in line to checkout at a Target store that day.

Guess what? It's an instant term for you.

There are countless stories of employees at other companies posting something 100% innocent on Facebook.... and the next thing you know the media makes a huge issue of it, and that person is out of a job.

The only smart thing to do? Never post *anything* about work on social media sites.... no matter how innocent it may seem. You never known when someone is going to take it and twist it in a negative light.

So that's what that was about! I would remove several of the TMs from your friends list, especially those few that talk to everyone and tell everyone's business. Put your profile on private. It seems like they are really searching for stuff these last few days. I guess we didn't set someone up for success.

Whether or not you can be fire depends on what you post. Apparently, if you post something that expresses the way multiple coworkers feel, it's okay, and if it was about a concern that had already been brought up it's okay.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...-fire-employees-for-social-media-misbehavior/

Probably shouldn't befriend any coworkers on facebook. If you're already friends with them, every time you post a status, you can edit who can see it.

Honestly, I don't see the big deal. If you don't have a bunch of friends/followers and you don't post it on Target's timeline, or mention them, who's gonna know about it other than your friends and the few tattle-tale coworkers? Most people probably ***** to their friends and family about their jobs anyway and it doesn't make a difference. I post about work on twitter/facebook occasionally. I haven't actually used the word "Target" on twitter. My facebook is un-search-able unless you're someone I already have a mutual friend with.

Basically don't talk trash about your store and don't describe in great detail about an incident with a guest.

First thing to do is delete all Team Leads, ETL's, and STL from your friends' list. Make your page private. Also, you should most likely block any team members from your page as well. They might show things to the executives regardless if they are your "friends." Anything you post regarding work can and will be used against you. Target is not your friend.

Meh... It's actually being debated in the government.

The labor board’s rulings, which apply to virtually all private sector employers, generally tell companies that it is illegal to adopt broad social media policies — like bans on “disrespectful” comments or posts that criticize the employer — if those policies discourage workers from exercising their right to communicate with one another with the aim of improving wages, benefits or working conditions.

As long as you don't single a person out or vent about the company then you are fine. The Labor Board is hammering them hard.

Provisions are found to be unlawful when they interfere with the rights of employees under the National Labor Relations Act, such as the right to discuss wages and working conditions with co-workers.

Last edited:
Well this makes me want to rethink my friends list. For 6 years I have had a no coworker on my FB policy. I finally broke a few months back and now have about 10 and almost half are TLs maybe I'll just throw them in a list and just go inactive on them

I have Target friends on Facebook. Only one person rants about work..we ignore those posts.

Looks like the HR conversation and the ETLs and STLs new perception of me is the extent of the damage. Apparently after a Best Team Survey speech by the STL a team member approached him and said I am the worst morale in the store, I hold back the BTS score, and he should check my facebook page. Besides the fact I only posted 3 remarks about work over 2 years...anyone who knows me and works alongside me knows that is ridiculous. And funny thing is my page has ALWAYS been private up until they got ahold of it...suddeny I check it and its been made public. Coincidence...I think not...

Well this makes me want to rethink my friends list. For 6 years I have had a no coworker on my FB policy. I finally broke a few months back and now have about 10 and almost half are TLs maybe I'll just throw them in a list and just go inactive on them

Take it for me. Unless you are close friends with them outside of work, which with TLs isnt even allowed, dont include them in that part of your life. Its not worth the risk to stay in contact the other 16 hours of the day.

So that's what that was about! I would remove several of the TMs from your friends list, especially those few that talk to everyone and tell everyone's business. Put your profile on private. It seems like they are really searching for stuff these last few days. I guess we didn't set someone up for success.

Dude I cleaned house on Facebook. And my profile has always been private until they approached me...not sure what to make out of that. They were told Im the worst morale in the store and Im the sole problem with the BTS. Really????

The only post I ever heard about was the t.v. one years ago, and only talked to you and M. about it. Neither of you thought my jokes were funny (they were) so I was like meh, whatever.

I wonder if a TM did go to them, or if it was a TL, or if you just pissed 1 of them off and now it's your turn to be under the microscope. I just found that whole day weird. The thing I should have got in serious trouble about was kind of overlooked (unless paperwork is on the way) but a one time thing and small things were harped on.
I'm surprised they said you were the worst, you take everything in stride. I could see if they said that to me.

Yeah I mean that could have been STL paraphrasing in his words but thats pretty much what I was told. The only reason Ive ever posted things was to vent while making everyone laugh which was a success every time. Its only when its taken out of context that it could be construed as undermining leadership. I was told it was a TM and "she" is not on my team. But it honestly could have been someone mentioning my FB within earshot of one of them and they went hunting. Ill prolly never know. As long as it ends here I honestly dont care...its always something.

Don't friend anyone from work. Period. No Exceptions. If you chose to remain friends outside of work after you leave spot, then you can add them. I have friends from past jobs I refused to add until the day I left the company.

Be careful of what you say on your Twitter feed if its unlocked and any public Facebook groups. I once posted on a Facebook group that sometimes I wanted to kill customers when they were too demanding. Obviously it was a metaphor. Regardless my former employer presented it to me and said while the Facebook group was a generic group it raised concerns of violence in the workplace. Sounds like a load of bull but it is what it is. Its not hard for people to find you on social media and I'm sure if they really want to they can hold you accountable for stuff you do off the clock. That same former employer wrote me up for not being nice to a customer I saw off property while off the clock and not in uniform. They asked me if I knew of any specials in the new flyer, I told them I was busy and to inquire next time they're in the store. Anyways, management said as long as a customer recognized me off the clock as a company employee regardless of where I am and in street clothes I was still recognized as an ambassador of the company and had to act the exact same off the clock as I do on the clock. Keep that in mind too when it comes to social media.

I noticed, when I first started target,
My Facebook was completly SET to private all my status's etc all set to friends, suddenly one day i log into my fb account, and certain status's are suddenly public! Like the ones where I put the time i'm working so no one personally texts me, it's just weird how the certain status's turned public. I deleted and blocked anybody that works with me that i found on fb. No matter how nice they are, someone can always turn their back on you.

You can set your default settings in the Privacy area of Facebook. However sometimes your inline privacy settings may be different.. Always good to check the lock next to the post and make sure your privacy is set right :)

Idk if the situation I'm involved is result of Target social media policy violation. A coworker of mine posted a slandering video or another co-workers brother. Idk if she can be held liable for it?

Liable only comes if there is a loss of income from the post.
An ass-kicking on the other hand ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back