Archived Target staying open later for back-to-school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

band_rules16

Former Wave Master
Hey all, there might be a thread already on this, but I haven't found it yet.

On the upcoming schedule, I found that I was scheduled til ten on a Sunday and eleven on a Thursday. I asked my TL and she told me we're staying open later for back to school. Is anyone else doing this?

I feel like it's going to crash and burn like the midnight opening on Black Friday...:laugh2:

Not sure but some stores do have extended hours, my target is opened till 10pm on sunday and mon-sat its till 11pm.

It depends on how your store does for Back to School/College sales. A store in my area is in a college town, so they always need tons of extra help around that time. Not sure if they stay open later, but some stores actually do need it.

We do need it, but I thought they'd at least wait until the beginning of August. I have a feeling tonight from 10-11 will be pretty dead...

Do any of you ever wonder what your store would be like if spot converted all stores 24 hours? Seems like a lot of tm's would get more hours... The Flow team might not like stocking with guests around though.

We're an 11:00 normal hours store, so we were open til midnight. No one was in the store past 11:15 though. Overnight team is gonna have a lot of work to do tonight though since they basically had to push like day side back room people while we were open

My store is still under our normal close at 10 on sundays and 11 every other day schedule.

Hey all, there might be a thread already on this, but I haven't found it yet.
On the upcoming schedule, I found that I was scheduled til ten on a Sunday and eleven on a Thursday. I asked my TL and she told me we're staying open later for back to school. Is anyone else doing this?
I feel like it's going to crash and burn like the midnight opening on Black Friday...:laugh2:

Here is the link to prior thread:
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/2219

My favorite thing about all this was the note on the time clock that we were selected for the extended hrs like we were so special. Funny, I don't feel special.

I know we're not, but I'll have to check the Super. I love shopping from 11 to 12, especially when no one else knows!

Do any of you ever wonder what your store would be like if spot converted all stores 24 hours? Seems like a lot of tm's would get more hours... The Flow team might not like stocking with guests around though.

If you ever want to know, just head to your local Walmart Super Center. Those are 24 hours. If Target did that, then the Flow team would likely not be able to do the wave since you need people in each department throughout the night for asset protection and guest service reasons. Also, it would take longer to push. Nothing would be able to get bowled since guests are in the store. You'd also have to hire cashiers and/or have flow team members who are register trained. I know at my local Wally, there is a CSS (GSA/GSTL type) on duty all the time.
We haven't even discussed the type of guests that come to the store in the middle of the night....

My favorite thing about all this was the note on the time clock that we were selected for the extended hrs like we were so special. Funny, I don't feel special.
That's special?!
Maybe I don't wanna feel so !@#$* SPECIAL!!

If you ever want to know, just head to your local Walmart Super Center. Those are 24 hours. If Target did that, then the Flow team would likely not be able to do the wave since you need people in each department throughout the night for asset protection and guest service reasons. Also, it would take longer to push. Nothing would be able to get bowled since guests are in the store. You'd also have to hire cashiers and/or have flow team members who are register trained. I know at my local Wally, there is a CSS (GSA/GSTL type) on duty all the time.
We haven't even discussed the type of guests that come to the store in the middle of the night....

I work overnights at a 24 hour walmart on the out skerts of the metro area. The store can be busy up till midnight sometimes, but afterward its mostly dead. (Great time to set up new mods (planograms) One checklane lane open all night and thats the lane with the ciggreates. They close the GM doors, but keep the grocery doors open. Jewlery and customer service closes at 11pm.

If target were 24 hours then I'd seem them do something like we have. Truck comes in late afternoon/early evening. Truck crew unloads and sorts and stocking starts at 10pm and lasts all night. Then again, most walmarts now are supercenters, where as most targets are GM so it may be a bit diferent, but it doesnt really take us all night to stock. We get done between 4:30 and 5:30am. Everything gets placed on pallets by the truck crew and we (the stockers) then stock it. guests are not really a problem as all the pallets eirther get set next to a end cap or in the middle of action ally/race track. Most have a good enough brain to know its the middle of the night and we are stocking. as long as the employes keep the areas clear of plastic and cardboard (and move unopen boxes close to the shelves) things should be fine.

at walmart its $1.00 more for overnights - 40 hours a week max. 8 hour shifts with a hour unpaid lunch. and you work with the same management/crew all the time unlike days where you may open one day, and close the next and work with a whole different group of people Good thing is, you can go outside for your break. Have a smoke. Grab lunch at the near by 24 hour fast food joint and not have to worry about being locked in all night or ringing a bell.

they wont like it as they wont be able to goof off like they could when the store is closed, or be forced to wear the red and kakhi instead of jeans or what ever. that is if manangment is strit about the dress code. With us over night we have to wear the blue and kakhi, but there are times where we get to wear jeans (being safe. great sales etc) and times where we just wear jeans and managment doesnt say anything unless it happens for more then a few days. Most of us wear blue t-shirts where as the days wear polos.

Oooh, thank you. Not sure how I missed it.

I think we were notified last week? And there was no sign by the time clock. The last two nights they have been begging people to stay.

It was listed under bts/btc hours. Hanging out here, you will hear it here first, most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back