Archived TargetExpress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought CityTarget was small enough for ya?

Target is experimenting with a relatively tiny store in Minneapolis that is even smaller than the downsized CityTarget stores it began introducing more than two years ago.

The new TargetExpress store, to be located in a building under construction near the University of Minnesota, will test the concept of a store that is 20,000 sq. ft, only a fraction the size of Target’s big box stores, which are 125,000 to 180,000 sq. ft., and much smaller than even its CityTarget stores, which are 60,000 to 100,000 sq. ft.

The first TargetExpress will be in the ground floor of a new apartment building called the Marshall. The test store is scheduled to open July 27, in time to serve students arriving for the fall semester. The store will offer groceries, pharmacy products, basic clothing, home decorating products and electronics.

http://www.startribune.com/business/240803311.html

First Post, YAY!

I happen to live near the proposed location in the 'Dinkytown' neighborhood of Minneapolis and work at one of spot's stores less than a mile away. This store will be competing against two CVS pharmacies near the UofM campus as well as Walgreens pilot Corner W store. Since the square footage is going to be small in that location my guess is it will have a pharmacy (as seen in the mock up) and will be pfresh focused because the last grocery store in the neighborhood was shut down to put in an apartment building. I am really excited to see how this project develops and would be super happy if spot would let me transfer to this location because its so close to home.

Welcome to The Break Room GoldenGopher.

Give us some updates on the baby store when you know more.

Wow, even those in the cubicles didn't know about this until today... guess this has been hidden under the curtain for awhile...

I think this is a great idea! Get in on CVS and Walgreens a bit. But i think they need to look at starting a program like Register Rewards, Balance Rewards, or Extra Care Bucks. People eat that up!

I think this is a great idea! Get in on CVS and Walgreens a bit. But i think they need to look at starting a program like Register Rewards, Balance Rewards, or Extra Care Bucks. People eat that up!

Yes. Kohls recently started Kohls Rewards in addition to the Kohls card. You can even link the 2 together. Great way to get extra savings, I love it.

Yes. Kohls recently started Kohls Rewards in addition to the Kohls card. You can even link the 2 together. Great way to get extra savings, I love it.

I tried to signup for that, and got told I was out of the "beta" area. :angry: Although, I don't think it matters considering I don't really spend money in there. I try to buy things at exactly $10 to use up the free gift cards they send, and leave.

I'm probably not there favorite shopper ;)

I try to buy things at exactly $10 to use up the free gift cards they send, and leave.

I'm probably not there favorite shopper ;)

Oh. This isn't the point of them sending them?

Joining HardlinesFour on the not favorite shopper bench. :D

(I actually haven't even spent those since I had a customer service issue - problem with a gift card a friend sent the kids, and she included a recpt for it... 20+ minutes the lady tried to get the phone people to answer to help me - 15 of it the manager standing there watching HER, and not communicating with ME. No "hi", no apology, no attempt to HELP, no nutin.)

I think this is a great idea for the apartment/college/walking market. They could further expand their offerings with a "site-to-store" free shipping experience.

Yes! I am a big fan of the drugstore rewards programs.

Those points on your Balance Rewards card do add up and have quite a bit of value. I have accumulated 364,980 points, which is worth $450, so I'm set for a while. I would love to see Spot offer a rewards program similar to these.

I agree with the target rewards ideas. The best possible idea is to combine and streamline all the apps and allow them to include the deals you guys are thinking. The target app needs to just have an easy to use cartwheel in it, and then expand upon cartwheel. I think we could start using a system that tracks purchases and what the guest was using and increase their deals. So if they always buy milk with us once a week, increase the amount they get off. There are tons of possibilities around marketing with this

It's an interesting concept for sure. I wonder where they got the idea...

Walmart_Neighborhood_Market_logo.jpeg

The one I saw was absolutely nothing like the Walmart Neighborhood Market which is more warehouse-like. At the Walmart Market there was unattractive merchandising or rather no merchandising - just shit on the shelves - take it or leave it.

They're planning three in Philly's downtown and university neighborhoods.

There's more stuff in the area since I started school, but I was just thinking this would've been awesome near TU when I was there. Area was basically a food desert at the time. When I started all we had were two rite aids and the 7-eleven on campus. And a ton of kids live in apartments just off campus. So you'd either have to have a car to grab groceries, get them delivered, or take the sub to superfresh or whatever. It was the biggest hassle. Fresh Grocer opened up my senior year and saved us, but these express stores sound like they could be helpful in other food deserts that don't have the space for something larger.

Lol @ that little tie and belt section in that article, though. I guess that's for those "omg I have a job interview but I forgot to buy a tie and a belt!!" moments?

Some of those neighborhood markets are coming to my area, but I don't see the point in going there when there are so many other options (including full-size Walmarts and Targets)

And I doubt we will ever get to see a TargetExpress around here.

Lol @ that little tie and belt section in that article, though. I guess that's for those "omg I have a job interview but I forgot to buy a tie and a belt!!" moments?

Par for the course in the Financial District, whatwith the .com businesses coming in "casual" and needing a change of wardrobe for more mature meetings with banks, venture capitalists, etc...

I'm just curious how logistics works for these. Do they get smaller trucks? Or just one big one once a week? Be nice to know since we got one going up in the vicinity of other stores we service (though management won't say mum, as usual). It also seems that corporate is almost too excited about this. Something like 7 or 8 of the 15 new stores going up this year are Expresses and one or two more CityT's. Not that I want to see this crash and burn, but I do worry it'll turn out like the last thing we got too eagerly into...

The DC coloads some trailers. From what I've been told some stores (city targets possibly?) share a trailer. Unload their part and send the rest to the other store.

Maybe some dc people can shed light on this. I'm assuming the number and frequency of trucks would be similar to regular stores with different sales volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back