Archived Target's Response to opening on Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
They conveniently leave out the part where the people that aren't scheduled to work are people on LOA.

Straight from Target's website
http://abullseyeview.com/target-talks-thanksgiving-and-black-friday/

Are team members forced to work or prohibited from requesting Thanksgiving or Black Friday off?
There is no corporate policy mandating that people have to work on Thanksgiving or Black Friday and our staffing needs vary from store to store. Across the company, about one-third of Target’s store team members are scheduled to work on Thanksgiving and less than two-thirds of our team members are scheduled to work on Friday. Team member preferences were considered when creating the schedules and our store leadership teams are continuing to have conversations with their team members to address any concerns.

YES

You know, I've come to terms with the fact that I have to work... It is what it is, unfortunately I can't leave the job right now.... But when they go and post things like THIS that is when I get so worked up about being disrespected, disregarded and basically spit on. Disgusting spot! Admit your playing the retail game and that requires works... But no, they post this.

A friend told me something his dad used to say:
You can feed me bullsh*t 'til I eventually swallow it but I'll NEVER develop a taste for it.
It's all part of polishing their image.
Which is why I remain hopeful of the real story getting out whenever we get these surges of guests on the forum.

Hopefully there's shopper push back and sales are down and they switch back to at least a midnight open

They'll open earlier with two cashiers (or none in the case of ULV stores) before they admit their mistake.

Which is why I remain hopeful of the real story getting out whenever we get these surges of guests on the forum.

Not those "guests"!

You can feed me bullsh*t 'til I eventually swallow it but I'll NEVER develop a taste for it.

Unfortunately, a lot of the guest are probably just web crawlers for search engines.

HA! Get this... today at huddle one of the TLs said: "Oh and we came up with this great idea at our Team Lead Meeting of EVERYONE wearing the nice red card shirts on Black Friday, so we can get the word out there to our guests...blaaaahblaaaahblaaaah". Seriously?! I want to puke every time I hear some crap that I read on here days or weeks prior and they want to make it sound "New and Exiting". YES i have been talked to about my attitude and absent participation at the huddles... LOL

Hahaha. I've had to watch what I say and act dumb like I haven't heard of whatever they think is "new" because I've already heard it on here!

Polishing? It's kind of hard to polish something that's coated in bull****. What Target needs is a good HOSING! :D

I for one will be working an 18 hour shift tomorrow. It was originally going to be a split from opening to several hours after for a few hours of cashiering because of a cashier gap due to lack of TM's. Then they wanted me to work a full shift over in electronics because of ANOTHER gap in TM's. Honestly, I do not think that my Team Leads hired enough seasonal TM's to handle the extended hours of operation Black Friday, especially since I work at a class D ULV store. Oh well, I have my 4-pack of 5 hour energy ready to go regardless

Retail lesson, open at 9PM, just hope that you can suck it up. If I really needed something then for sure.

To be fair, Target can give their reasoning, but there are real reasons behind it. I think if it was all true they would of announced it WAY sooner bcus it shows lack of organization and a lack of making decisions quicker to inform TM's who arent forced into this situation. Some might not mine, but its retail, you have thousands of overnight people who do the same thing, so there is no reason to be shameful.

If Target learns a lesson here, just hope chaos is done right and 1-day wont affect every1.

Last edited:
Retail lesson, open at 9PM, just hope that you can suck it up. If I really needed something then for sure.

To be fair, Target can give their reasoning, but there are real reasons behind it. I think if it was all true they would of announced it WAY sooner bcus it shows lack of organization and a lack of making decisions quicker to inform TM's who arent forced into this situation. Some might not mine, but its retail, you have thousands of overnight people who do the same thing, so there is no reason to be shameful.
If Target learns a lesson here, just hope chaos is done right and 1-day wont affect every1.
I hope so!

Tonight at work our TL said we are going to be so hopping and then dead tomm just like last year. Gee thanks Debbie Downer :pardon: Just what I needed to hear. I mean I am sitting on the fence myself about tomm but it doesn't help hearing Debbie Downer saying we are going to be so hopping and then so dead tomm! Hearing things like that means cashiers will be sent out to the sales floor like last year which means no work for us SF people I know we get paid but at the same time it is also annoying. Honestly IMHO if gets really dead I think they should start sending cashiers home they have more of them than they do of us quite frankly of course it would be on a volunteer basis and only if it were indeed a ghost town like last year like cashiers all over the sales floor taking up sales floors reshop and zones.

Last edited:
Guests at my counter kept asking what time we open tomorrow then gasp in disbelief.
They then start asking if we're one of the 'unfortunate ones' working on Thanksgiving & what WE think of that.
Folks, I'm getting paid time & a half.
I'm not paid to have an opinion.

Guests at my counter kept asking what time we open tomorrow then gasp in disbelief.
They then start asking if we're one of the 'unfortunate ones' working on Thanksgiving & what WE think of that.

Best answer! But sad event.

When they ask me when we open on Black Friday I'd smile and say "You mean, Black Thursday?"
Just about every time there was a moment where they would look kind shocked then shake it off and move on.

Good thing all Targets in MA don't open until 1AM, while Walmart opens at 12:30AM. I have to admit, Walmart has a leg up on us this year with the promotion that if you show up in th first hour and if stock is empty, your guaranteed to get the product before Christmas for the same price.. Why don't do we that lol, it basically gaurentees guests to at least come.

After the opening was announced nearly all my guests were annoyed with us opening so early. Most told me that they weren't shopping at all until Friday or Saturday. They all gave me their sympathy for me having to be there at opening. So, where are all these guests who are so happy and eager for us to open? IMHO the only reason we're opening so early is because Sears and Kmart are opening at 8.

Kmart and Toys R Us started this fiasco.

Some deals will get better as we get closer to Christmas (throughout retail stores).

Also It's because Wal-Mart is opening at 8pm which is Target's one of biggest competitors.

"Target Hi B******* - Target’s opening time was carefully evaluated with our guests and team members in mind. Our opening time this year reflects the feedback we have heard from our guests – many prefer to shop following their family gatherings rather than in the very early hours of the morning.-Jes"

I really want to see the research and surveys on this guest feedback for Black Friday openings because I find this response hard to believe. What family wants to go out and stand in line at 3-4pm Thanksgiving after their hefty Thanksgiving meal so they can be the first ones to get into Target at 9pm and grab the first of the doorbusters.

The feedback is that potential guests shopped at other stores that opened on Thanksgiving last year, so they should too! There are people that "prefer to shop" whenever the stores open, which may happen to be after their family gatherings.

Straight from Target's website

Are team members forced to work or prohibited from requesting Thanksgiving or Black Friday off?
There is no corporate policy mandating that people have to work on Thanksgiving or Black Friday and our staffing needs vary from store to store. Across the company, about one-third of Target’s store team members are scheduled to work on Thanksgiving and less than two-thirds of our team members are scheduled to work on Friday. Team member preferences were considered when creating the schedules and our store leadership teams are continuing to have conversations with their team members to address any concerns.

YES

Yes and that preference is that "if you don't want to work <hours>, don't work retail". And that TMs should be thankful for their job because stories that "X person has it worse" or because "it is what it is".

I'm not a TM who says that kind of thing, but I have heard some who are.

Examples in replies to threads here:
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/3328-The-Official-9PM-Black-Friday-Rage-Thread
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/3319-Let-s-All-Call-Out

Doesn't matter though since Target is Great Place to Work! And they appreciate a Work Life Balance by Going the Extra Inch! Where's your VIBE?!
"Huh? It's in pharmacy next to the contraceptives."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back