Archived Team Member Applying for ETL, Application Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my master's degree and have been working as a regular team member for a year. I talked to some team leads and ETLs about rising up in the store and they have told me that I should pursue it, but they didn't really say anything about me applying but rather just getting the training for it. I'm filling out the ETL application now (it's either for my store or the other Target in the same town), but there's a question asking me if I have my supervisor's permission to apply. I'm not sure if me bringing it up to them is considered permission. At this point, all team leads and ETLs now that I'm interested in moving up because it was brought up in a meeting, Would clicking yes for this question and submitting an application be a good idea? Or do I need official permission first? I'm not sure how this works. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I just got my master's degree and have been working as a regular team member for a year. I talked to some team leads and ETLS about rising up in the store and they have told me that I should pursue it, but they didn't really say anything about me applying but rather just getting the training for it. I'm filling out the ETL application now (it's either for my store or the other Target in the same town), but there's a question asking me if I have my supervisor's permission to apply. I'm not sure if me bringing it up to them is considered permission. At this point, all team leads and ETLs now that I'm interested in moving up because it was brought up in a meeting, Would clicking yes for this question and submitting an application be a bad idea? Or do I need official permission first? I'm not sure how this works. Thanks in advance for the advice.
I wouldn't consider that permission... TMs that are interested in moving up at my store get partnered with a TL/ETL and then apply when a position opens up (TL) or when the ETL/ STL says they're ready (ETL)...

You only need a 4 year degree to become an ETL (at least it was like that before but things always change). Talk to the STL about applying but if your master's degree is in a field other than business or finance you should be looking for a position in your field.

You only need a 4 year degree to become an ETL (at least it was like that before but things always change). Talk to the STL about applying but if your master's degree is in a field other than business or finance you should be looking for a position in your field.

Trust me, I've been looking for a position in my field since I graduated with my bachelor's over a year ago. I wouldn't be working as a team member at Target if the job market wasn't so horrible right now. I'm going to talk to the ETL-HR at my store tomorrow night and then see what she has to say. From there, I'll look into getting approval from my STL. I'm at that point in my life where I need to be making moves to better my life and financial situation and if moving up is a possibility for me considering my educational background and the experience I've gotten at Target so far, why not pursue it?

If you weren't considered when you only had your bachelors, chances are good they're not interested. Honestly, you'd have a better chance of going ETL if you left Target for a year or two and reapplied as an ETL. Even with a masters, they'll probably string you along and offer something insulting like "developing" you into an hourly Team Lead, even with your extensive educational background.

Hmm best move to make is leave for 3 months then apply basically everyone who was a tm in the district I worked in did this. Try other retail management jobs too also like Walmart, jcpenny, kohls, or even grocery stores

It's also pretty likely she wasn't told about any positions besides the one she initially applied for. Whether or not that was intentional or not is probably a different conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back