Archived Team member discount policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Two checking accounts, one my disability pay goes into and the other my Target pay goes into. Spot will NOT let me get a red card for the 2nd account so if I have an emergency and I need to go to Target but don't have the money in my red card account I am not able to use the discount unless I buy a GC and then use the discount. If I circumventing the rule and its a no-no, all and I mean ALL the blame goes to Spot! Right now I live paycheck-paycheck and Spot is making it harder

Can I give someone my discount card and redcard to buy something for me?.. is it ok for them to use it as long as I'm paying for it?

Can I give someone my discount card and redcard to buy something for me?.. is it ok for them to use it as long as I'm paying for it?

Nope. There are actually two issues there--the discount (you can't let someone else use your discount even if it's your money), and the RedCard (if they're not officially an authorized user, they aren't allowed to use your card, even if you've "authorized" the transaction).

Of course, as a practical matter, as long as the store doesn't check ID on the discount, there would probably be no problem. The system would see your discount being used with the same card as normal, so it wouldn't throw up any red flags, as long as this transaction isn't happening in another state or something.

I have Two checking accounts, one my disability pay goes into and the other my Target pay goes into. Spot will NOT let me get a red card for the 2nd account so if I have an emergency and I need to go to Target but don't have the money in my red card account I am not able to use the discount unless I buy a GC and then use the discount. If I circumventing the rule and its a no-no, all and I mean ALL the blame goes to Spot! Right now I live paycheck-paycheck and Spot is making it harder

Wait, what? Why aren't they letting you use your discount card with a check? That's perfectly valid. I get why they won't let you get a second Redcard debit card, but you can always use your discount with a check.

my brother is always needing gifts and such for his organization or presents for people if its something of high dollar amount i will use my discount but he gives me the money before hand. and i go to the store alone

Nope. There are actually two issues there--the discount (you can't let someone else use your discount even if it's your money), and the RedCard (if they're not officially an authorized user, they aren't allowed to use your card, even if you've "authorized" the transaction).

Of course, as a practical matter, as long as the store doesn't check ID on the discount, there would probably be no problem. The system would see your discount being used with the same card as normal, so it wouldn't throw up any red flags, as long as this transaction isn't happening in another state or something.

At my store one TM got caught lending their sibling their TM discount card and redcard. They only found out because the sibling punched in the wrong pin too many times. My STL was pretty aggravated by it, but I'm not sure if the TM got in trouble for it.

We have TMs who let everyone and their brother use their discount card. Both of my GSTLs (one being a SrTL) have said it doesn't matter "everyone does it." So, whatever.

at some point someone will come in and stop this practice that 'everyone does'.

I agree. The SrTL told me it was fine, and talked about how she lets her sister use her discount, and we all do it (giving me this look like I have ever given out my card to anyone). I don't do it, personally. But I can name a lot of TMs whose cards I have seen come through my line knowing full well the person using it was not an authorized dependent. But at minimum wage, it isn't up to me to play gatekeeper, when it will do nothing but tick off my fellow TMs knowing full well I will be overridden.

The only thing my store enforces is that you must have the card with you. On a very rare occasion, they will let that slide for a TM, but never for a TM from another store.

I used to be the TL and quit, moved on to better things. Now my daughter has a job at Target but still lives under my roof. She is 18. When I had my discount my kids could use it. Can I use hers? I would rather buy the stuff because I have the credit card and will get an additional 5%. She doesn't have a card yet. Just trying to save all the money I can. Spot owes me big time anyway. I had one cashier say you aren't supposed to use her discount. I was using her 10, my 5% from pharmacy and my target visa card for an additional 5% off. If she was a child living elsewhere I could understand. But I feed and put a roof over her head and a lot of what we buy is for the household.

Good way to get your daughter fired if you get caught....

Well, it would only be a problem if you used a non-discount-eligible method of payment to buy the giftcard. The whole reason they don't allow the discount on purchases that would have a transaction fee in the first place is in order to try to discourage you from using those methods of payment (transaction fees are a huge annual cost for the company). If you buy a giftcard with a non-Red debit/credit, then Target will have paid the transaction fee (on the initial purchase), but you'll still be getting your discount on the later purchases, which is exactly what they want to avoid.

Here's some food for thought: If they don't want you to buy a gift card (to use with your TM discount) with a debit/credit card because of the transaction fee, then why is it acceptable to use a RedCard credit card to pay for items and pay off the RedCard with your bank debit card? Isn't there still a transaction fee if you're using your bank debit to pay off your RedCard?

I was wondering that last night as I was processing a Redcard payment. I will say, it does require you to use your PIN (no canceling to sign), so that means Target is charged less that way since the card bearer takes some of it on than if the guest were to sign.

But that also means that in theory, Target is still only paying that transaction fee once a month instead of every time a guest shops (save for the people that use their debit card to pay off the card immediately). Also, the amount of interest Target is likely collecting on some of these accounts more than makes up for the transaction fee.

Last edited:
It would be very wise of Target if they started carding people that were shopping at other Targets, those the cashier does not directly know, because at my store, so many people seemingly borrow family members' or friends' discount cards, shop at different Target stores and abuse the system. I've even had 60-75 year old guests come in and use the "dependent" card. I'm really surprised that Spot doesn't mind losing money that way.

Especially when you're sick/home from the ER/have a prescription, and had to call out. Always fun to drag yourself into the store in this situation. I'd much rather give it to family members, my debit/pin/tm card and have them go pick it up for me then have to deal with the store.

Especially when you're sick/home from the ER/have a prescription, and had to call out. Always fun to drag yourself into the store in this situation. I'd much rather give it to family members, my debit/pin/tm card and have them go pick it up for me then have to deal with the store.

Good point.
I'm sure the pharmacy would be cool about it as long the ETL wasn't too by-the-book.
Of course you wouldn't be able to pick up narcotics.

Well, if Target is worried about losing money, it should simply place an annual limit on the discount. Target should just forget the various rules about who is allowed to use it, buying for others who are repaying, etc.

Those rules are not even enforceable. For example, Target Annie claimed to have known about somebody fired for accepting repayment illicitly, yet despite being questioned, she did not explain how. She asserts that someone will come in and stop the "abuse" but never explains how.

my brother is always needing gifts and such for his organization or presents for people if its something of high dollar amount i will use my discount but he gives me the money before hand. and i go to the store alone
this will eventually result in you being fired. It's wrong.
How would anyone know? Unless slinesslave talks about it in store.
I've seen team members fired for such.
Remember when we used to get 10% off? I wondered where our better bennies went.
Well, if Target is worried about losing money, it should simply place an annual limit on the discount. Target should just forget the various rules about who is allowed to use it, buying for others who are repaying, etc.
Those rules are not even enforceable. For example, Target Annie claimed to have known about somebody fired for accepting repayment illicitly, yet despite being questioned, she did not explain how. She asserts that someone will come in and stop the "abuse" but never explains how.

Correction, it was slinesslave who stated the quote. Annie was stating best practice & prior events in response.

Correction, it was slinesslave who stated the quote. Annie was stating best practice & prior events in response.

Sometimes, "best practice" deserves to be mocked, not defended.

No "correction" is applicable here. I intended to refer directly to Annie's assertions, not anything sinlesslave posted.

I stand by by comments and strong language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back