Team Member Smells like Booze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry about too much dude. You yourself said by the afternoon he sobered up and was okay. If this is an EVERY day thing someone would notice eventually because he'd screw up sometime.

One of my stores had a incident where a cart attendant was coming in recovering from a previous night of partying and binge drinking. The first time they told him to clock out and go home, and I was called in to take over. 2nd time, they told him if he ever came back in hungover or drunk, he would be immediately terminated. But he ended up being terminated for scratching a guests car bumper with a line of carts.

But I have heard some stories where ETLs were drinking in areas not covered by cameras. But the STL was unwilling to do approach the ETL because they didn't have proof they were drinking in the store and afraid to make accusation against them fearing a lawsuit. But they ended up finding other faults in the ETL in order to terminate them.

You can be sent home for being hungover? Wow, glad my store never did that to me because the day after I turned 21 and for the next 4 months straight I came in hungover as hell.

But how would you feel if "You" could have done something to prevent it --- it would bother the crap out of me ----

like have them fired so they have more free time to drink and drive around?

or get them arrested? that will stop some people for the time they are in the court system...but my sheriff's booking page lists dui 2nd/3rd/4th/etc offense arrests every day. obviously if someone comes in piss drunk 3 out of 4 days there's a serious problem and something should be done...somebody coming in reeking of booze after drinking heavily...but getting sleep and being more sober than their bac would indicate...idk if it's that big of a deal.

Obviously - your not understanding -- lest hope you don't lose a loved one to a drunk driver - and it came out after someone "Could have done something about it" when others wont or were afraid --

That is a fallacious and attempt at maudlin argument. if you have no direct evidence then you have nothing to stand on. You have no idea what the situation is and if it's that problematic than call the cops and actually be an adult and deal with the consequences if you are proven wrong and culpable to slander.

Aint nothin wrong with comin to work a lil tipsy if you aren't using any kinda heavy machinery... i mean come on... you're just helping jackass customers all day anyway. it may help you cope with them better lol. sometimes at my job (not target anymore thank god) i'll go to the bar and grill next door and get a big juicy bacon burger and have a beer or two, with my boss... and then go right back to work selling appliances and other electronics to people in the store..

Aint nothin wrong with comin to work a lil tipsy if you aren't using any kinda heavy machinery... i mean come on... you're just helping jackass customers all day anyway. it may help you cope with them better lol. sometimes at my job (not target anymore thank god) i'll go to the bar and grill next door and get a big juicy bacon burger and have a beer or two, with my boss... and then go right back to work selling appliances and other electronics to people in the store..

For the sake of your former store's guests, yes, thank god you aren't there anymore indeed.

Too all the people saying what will happen if you mess up while under the influence, well I'm sure the same thing as if you messed up while not under the influence. If you mess up bad enough to where your job is on the line, I don't think Target cares if you were intoxicated or not. You still messed up really badly.

The world has changed so much in the past twenty five years.
If you watch Mad Men you'll see the guys go to the three martini lunches and folks would often do as Evan said about having the beer with lunch.
Are things better now, with zero tolerance and driving it all underground?
In some ways sure.
I remember working with functioning alcoholics who kept their "coffee" cups with them all day long.
Sure they did their jobs but people had to pick up the slack, though I've had to pick up slack for perfectly sober people too.
Short and sweet, I don't want people who are drunk working heavy machinery or driving.
Interacting with customers is a mixed bag, I've seen some who are much better at it drunk than sober.

The ones who come in with crushing hangovers, at least they came in rather than doing a call out and leaving the rest of us holding the bag.

Last edited:
That is a fallacious and attempt at maudlin argument. if you have no direct evidence then you have nothing to stand on. You have no idea what the situation is and if it's that problematic than call the cops and actually be an adult and deal with the consequences if you are proven wrong and culpable to slander.

And you know what -- you have an opinion -- just like me
7b05d1c5.gif

I can't believe you would lie just to get someone in trouble. In my opinion that brings you down to their level.
Why not confront him head on? Nothing good comes out of lying expect being branded a liar and no one likes liars, drunk or not.

So if I don't like a team member, I can just say I saw them drinking at work?

^^^ yes express ur concerns to hr. leave out the part about you not liking them though, it's bad for your agenda!

Alright, this thread has derailed to all kinds of hell and back, and we're going to close it before things get worse. I meant to get to this sooner, but r/l sent me my own dilemma yesterday while I was contemplating the closure. Everyone here needs to take a step back, count to ten, and just walk away regardless of who's at fault of what. We'll be following up with some of you on matters here.

End Of Line......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back