Archived Team Member Stealing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain the process to me when they know someone is stealing? I've never known about anyone stealing before they were fired or arrested but this time i was notified in advance because of the position this person is in and how it will affect me.
They know for a fact this person is stealing but they wanted to get better or more? camera views of it happening so i was just wondering what they needed before they would fire someone?

I just think it's weird that they know and have seen him stealing but he still has a job and is still able to steal. Why not just fire him now?

Spot does this. When they fired a cart attendant before I was GSA, they had 2 of us scheduled to close lol. 1 hour into his shift they had him arrested and hauled off.

I take it maybe a GSA or Photo TM?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone explain the process to me when they know someone is stealing? I've never known about anyone stealing before they were fired or arrested but this time i was notified in advance because of the position this person is in and how it will affect me.
They know for a fact this person is stealing but they wanted to get better or more? camera views of it happening so i was just wondering what they needed before they would fire someone?

I just think it's weird that they know and have seen him stealing but he still has a job and is still able to steal. Why not just fire him now?

They want to build a case on him. Usually they might let someone steal 5, even 10 times before they bust them. Why? So they have a rock solid case against them to use in court.

Also, in some states they have to steal a certain dollar amount for it to actually amount to a crime they can be arrested for. We once had an idiot 16 year old who stole pokemon cards. (no, I'm not kidding) Because they were so cheap they literally had to let him steal about 50 packs of them over a few weeks before busting him.

I was the Toys TL, and eventually AP had to let me know what was going on because he was literally leaving the empty packages on the shelf and they knew I was about to figure out it was him. They told me to just let him keep stealing.... it went on for a few weeks before they finally had a dollar amount sufficient to bust him.

They want to build a case on him. Usually they might let someone steal 5, even 10 times before they bust them. Why? So they have a rock solid case against them to use in court.

Also, in some states they have to steal a certain dollar amount for it to actually amount to a crime they can be arrested for. We once had an idiot 16 year old who stole pokemon cards. (no, I'm not kidding) Because they were so cheap they literally had to let him steal about 50 packs of them over a few weeks before busting him.

I was the Toys TL, and eventually AP had to let me know what was going on because he was literally leaving the empty packages on the shelf and they knew I was about to figure out it was him. They told me to just let him keep stealing.... it went on for a few weeks before they finally had a dollar amount sufficient to bust him.

that makes sense. I just couldn't figure out why they wouldn't fire him now.

If you see another tm stealing, you should report it to lod or ap. they need to build case for a certain dollar amt in your state. You had asked who you should tell in your post.

Spot does this. When they fired a cart attendant before I was GSA, they had 2 of us scheduled to close lol. 1 hour into his shift they had him arrested and hauled off.
^This. I was scheduled one day the same time as a GSTL & I was curious about why 2 of us were working at the same time but my ETL didn't say anything until the GSTL was walked out.

no, they already know. ETL-AP and ETL-GE sat me down in a meeting and told me he was stealing, they've seen it on camera, and he would be fired but they wanted to move around some cameras first. It's been about 2 weeks since that meeting so i was trying to figure out what they're waiting on!

As a former APTL, I think I can probably answer this a little better.

The problem with Target is, well we can't afford to actually have working cameras over every aisle :( In fact, almost entire sections of our store are pretty much nothing but empty domes. So, to resolve this, an AP member (APS OR ETL-AP/APTL) must go out on the floor and observe the suspect/guest from start to finish. Otherwise, someone could drop or put back the item, and we arrest them for doing nothing wrong, and the company could risk a huge lawsuit (in the millions).

Not only that, but in order to prosecute, we must see them steal at least $20 worth of merchandise before we can stop them. So if your stealing candy from one spot, we have to watch you do it twenty times.

And as for camera placement, there a pain in the a** to move because of the complex wiring involved...

I hope that helps you understand this a little better. I agree with you as well, if there taking things, I want to get them fired too. But we need to have solid evidence before we can take them down.

As a former APTL, I think I can probably answer this a little better.

The problem with Target is, well we can't afford to actually have working cameras over every aisle :( In fact, almost entire sections of our store are pretty much nothing but empty domes. So, to resolve this, an AP member (APS OR ETL-AP/APTL) must go out on the floor and observe the suspect/guest from start to finish. Otherwise, someone could drop or put back the item, and we arrest them for doing nothing wrong, and the company could risk a huge lawsuit (in the millions).

Not only that, but in order to prosecute, we must see them steal at least $20 worth of merchandise before we can stop them. So if your stealing candy from one spot, we have to watch you do it twenty times.

And as for camera placement, there a pain in the a** to move because of the complex wiring involved...

I hope that helps you understand this a little better. I agree with you as well, if there taking things, I want to get them fired too. But we need to have solid evidence before we can take them down.

Yes, but that is referring to an external apprehension. The original question was about internal theft. Are all five steps needed on a team member? I don't think so. I used to be a TPS (years ago) and there was a TM who was taking movies and games every day. He wanted to get caught. He actually burst into the AP office while I a writing a report -about him- and asked "hypothetically" if we had to catch a thief in the act, or if we could term him later on evidence. I won't comfortable saying either way, do I said that "it's different with each case."

this team member is stealing money vs items.

Oh, well then dude, the execs know about it. Trust me, if someone is stealing money your leaders WILL know about it. There is zero chance they won't find out immediately.

Stealing money is perhaps the stupidest thing one can do at Target. Why? They will know about it in 24 hours even if someone isn't actually watching as soon as the cash office realizes money is missing.

I am amazed how many TMs who steal money honestly think that Target doesn't count the money! The thing is, a lot of these people seem to come from other retail/food service jobs..... and guess what? At 99% of other places - each TM has to count out their money and they are restricted to one register.

I think a lot of these people come to Target and say "hey, I can just hop on any register and I never see anyone count the money! It will be easy as hell to steal!"..... I honestly think they don't realize Target has a cash office and counts it there.

I have noticed many of the money stealers usually were new hires that stole within 1-3 months, and probably never bothered to figure out how Target actually audits the money.....

i realized i made this post really confusing. The ETL's do know about it which is how i found out. That is why i'm so confused why he's still there when they know and have him on camera stealing. He is actually a GSTL who has worked there for 9 years so why he thinks he can get away with it i have no idea. He's worked in the cash office and knows how AP works. It just floors me that he thinks he would get away with it. Apparently so far they have caught him with 1000 dollars! (that was as of when we had our meeting two weeks ago when i met with the ETL-AP and ETL-GE when they told me he was stealing.) He is stealing after the store closes while he is closing the last few registers. This was his weekend to close so i think they were wanting to get some clearer shots of him doing it.

This sounds highly out of the ordinary. AP would never bring in a TM and tell him that his GSTL has stolen over $1000.

I don't mean to be accusatory, but are you sure YOU are not the one stealing? Or possibly AP is setting you up?

Honestly, the only reason I could see them doing this is to make you think AP believes that someone else is stealing in order to encourage you to steal because you will think they are going to blame someone else..... This is honestly the only reason I could see them telling you this. So maybe they think you are prone to steal, and are trying to get you to do it thinking they will think it was the GSTL?

Trust me, if he stole $1000 and they knew about it he wouldn't be working there anymore. The *only* other possibility is that *both* your ETL-AP and ETL-GE are corrupt, and they are letting him do it..... But the odds of that are about 0%. Even if they both were in on it, the external store auditors would immediately know that the computer totals and what actually was put in the bank do not match. (yes, Target actually has external auditors that don't work at the stores that *also* check the money)

Actually, the more I think about it the more sure I am this is a trap to set you up or get you to do something.

AP would *never* tell a TM that a GSTL was stealing..... not even after they busted him, and definitely not before. Anyone in AP who told TMs this would be termed. It is simply not allowed to tell TMs this. It is highly confidential.

The only reason I could see them just outright telling you he is stealing would be to get you to want to steal in hopes you think they will blame him for any money that is missing.

Then the GSTL actually lets you SEE him take money? So AP tells you the GSTL is stealing, and right around that time he lets you see him steal? Hell no..... no way that is a coincidence. This is a setup for sure. They more than likely *told* the GSTL to let you see him take money (which he probably gave to AP later) to further convince you that what AP told you (that he is stealing) is true.

I have heard of AP coming up with little plots to get TMs to do something or to catch them doing something. I am 99.9% sure this is a plan to try to get you to steal because they convinced you any money missing is going to be blamed on the GSTL and not you.... so you will think you can get away with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if before any of this happened, money had turned up missing, AP somehow couldn't find out who did it, but they think it might have been you..... So now they are seeing if you will steal, and this time they will be watching.

Last edited:
The reason I was told is because I am the other gstl and we will now be going into fourth quarter down a gstl.
I am certainly not stealing and know how the cash office works and that we have auditors. Even if I didn't know that I can assure you that I would never steal.

It doesn't matter if you are a GSTL. AP is not allowed to tell *anyone* below ETL level something like this. There are no exceptions. If you are a GSTL you should know that. AP doesn't call a TL in and say "Hey! Your coworker is stealing, we haven't actually busted him yet.... but just wanted to let you know we will be down a GSTL in 4th quarter". Sorry, that simply is not what AP does. First of all, AP doesn't give a damn if you will be down a GSTL, and they certainly don't care enough to tell you before they bust him just so you know your store will be down a GSTL lol. Second of all, it is a violation of AP rules. AP is not allowed to tell anyone below ETL level something like this - even a TL. Anyone working in AP doing this would be termed.

The fact that you are a GSTL may give them further reason to "test" you like this.... because a GSTL is in more of a position to steal. This is either a test or setup. Trust me, there is no other reason AP would call you in the office and tell you this.

Ok, I'll let you just think that but again, your version is so far off. Even if they were setting a trap for me they'd be in for a disappointment.

Ok, I'll let you just think that but again, your version is so far off. Even if they were setting a trap for me they'd be in for a disappointment.

Dude, I never said you were a thief.... Only that they might think you are, or might think you would steal if you thought you could get away with it. Maybe your ETL-AP is a paranoid guy and just wants to test you. I don't know the motivation, but AP would never tell you something like this unless they were up to something.

I think what SOT is saying is that AP KNOWS that money is being stolen......but they are not sure WHO is doing the stealing. So AP has probably talked with your other GSTL and told them the same thing.....and now they are waiting to see who the culprit is.

I'm thinking AP told your other GSTL that YOU are stealing and now that GSTL thinks they can get away with it since the GSTL was told it was you. In other words, they probably know that its your fellow GSTL and said GSTL thinks he's safe, so GSTL is stealing more.

SOT is this a possible situation??

I think what SOT is saying is that AP KNOWS that money is being stolen......but they are not sure WHO is doing the stealing. So AP has probably talked with your other GSTL and told them the same thing.....and now they are waiting to see who the culprit is.

I'm thinking AP told your other GSTL that YOU are stealing and now that GSTL thinks they can get away with it since the GSTL was told it was you. In other words, they probably know that its your fellow GSTL and said GSTL thinks he's safe, so GSTL is stealing more.

SOT is this a possible situation??

It is possible, but that is a little too risky because there is a possibility either of them might talk about it, and then they will know something is up. I also think it is unlikely, because redandkhaki has seen his coworker take money, yet AP still hasn't busted him. That makes me think the other GSTL was asked to do it, otherwise AP would already have nabbed him.

More than likely they suspect redandkhaki, and they just asked the other GSTL to let redandkhaki see him take money in order to convince redandkhaki that what they told him was true. More than likely AP didn't tell his coworker *why* they wanted him to take money, just to take the money and give it to them later. His coworker probably doesn't know anything else.

So in summary - they probably just suspect redandkhaki and are waiting to see if he does anything.

I'm not sure where you're getting that I saw him take the money. I never said that at all.

I'm not sure where you're getting that I saw him take the money. I never said that at all.

Sorry, I misread that part. I see you said AP saw him, not you personally.

Anyway - you said they told you about this 2 weeks ago and he still has not be termed. I still believe that this is a setup for you.

There is simply no way in hell he has stolen over $1000, 2 weeks has gone by, and they haven't busted him. The only reason they wouldn't have busted him is if he actually didn't do anything, and AP is just testing you. That is a ton of cash - AP would be moving fast to get him, not letting him spend the $1000 during the past two weeks and let him steal more cash in the meantime. Once someone steals over a certain dollar amount ($1000 is *definitely* way over that amount) they bust them quickly. They don't wait over two weeks.

Again, they would *never* tell you they were aware of him stealing before they busted him. Even after they busted him, all AP would be allowed to tell you is that he doesn't work at the store anymore. They can not tell you why that is or what he did wrong. Not only is telling you seriously against Target policy, but what if you told him they were on to him? He would never show up to work again, have the $1000+ dollars, and they would never get to bust him. Your ETL-AP is a complete fool if he is going around telling non-AP people before he busts someone, and he is on the fast track to getting termed if that is what he is doing..... So in other words, it's a setup/test for you.

Last edited:

You just said that AP is not allowed to talk to anyone. But this previous quote of yours totally contradicts that.

It doesn't matter if you are a GSTL. AP is not allowed to tell *anyone* below ETL level something like this. There are no exceptions. If you are a GSTL you should know that. AP doesn't call a TL in and say "Hey! Your coworker is stealing, we haven't actually busted him yet.... but just wanted to let you know we will be down a GSTL in 4th quarter". Sorry, that simply is not what AP does. First of all, AP doesn't give a damn if you will be down a GSTL, and they certainly don't care enough to tell you before they bust him just so you know your store will be down a GSTL lol. Second of all, it is a violation of AP rules. AP is not allowed to tell anyone below ETL level something like this - even a TL. Anyone working in AP doing this would be termed

Here's the second quote about AP talking to anyone below an ETL about stealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back