Archived Team Member Tried Making Me Work Over Break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

Finally A Guest Again
Umm... What the shit? Today I was doing PLANO and I was in the final 15 minutes of my shift. I announce my break and this guy tells me to keep pulling until the end of my shift. I pretty much say hell no and he threatens to go to the ETL. I brush him off and walk to TSC to turn in my equipment. I heard about some shady stuff happening at Spot but, people trying to make you work over a break? Yeah, no. Any of you ever experience some kind of BS like that?

Except sometimes it gets so busy that you just can't find time for it until the end of your shift.

Hell sometimes I don't even take my last break if I'm behind
This. Backroom is always busy and we never take our breaks when "expected". If your break is during a time where both CAF and MyFA are active, you will be finding yourself taking breaks closer to lunch and the end of your shift. We never take it on our 2nd hour. Its very rare. Our breaks come more on our 3rd hour or further in, like my case today. I couldn't take my break until the last minute.

Last edited:
This. Backroom is always busy and we never take our breaks when "expected". If your break is during a time where both CAF and MyFA are active, you will be finding yourself taking breaks closer to lunch and the end of your shift. We never take it on our 2nd hour. Its very rare. Our breaks come more on our 3rd hour or further in, like my case today. I couldn't take my break until the last minute.

Whenever I'm closing, my shift is usually from 2:30-11. So when I first come in, I usually don't get to take my first 15 until around 6pm because of the 3pm CAFs and the 5pm CAFs on the weekend, and on the weekdays our ETL wants us to set the line immediately after we finish pulling the 3's so that there is more time to backstock. So I don't end up taking my 15 until about 4 hours in, then my meal is usually taken around 8pm so 5.5 hours in. Last 15 is taken at around 10, which is when overnight comes in and then I'm out of their way.

Pretty sure you're expected to actually take your break during a shift and not use it to sit around for fifteen minutes before clocking out.
What in the WORLD is the difference? I do that all the time, no one's ever said a word to me.

Pretty sure you're expected to actually take your break during a shift and not use it to sit around for fifteen minutes before clocking out.

Whut? If it's before you clock out....then it's during your shift. I've had to take my break at the very end of my shift a number of times because it was just too busy. It's not ideal, but it's better than not taking a break at all. You can get in trouble for that shit.

Yeah. I remember in the job orientation specifically being told to never work for free/off the clock by HR. That's why at lunch I hardly talk or even give guests any kind of eye contact. It's not that I wouldn't want to help the people out but, I'm not being paid to do it during those times.

Whut? If it's before you clock out....then it's during your shift. I've had to take my break at the very end of my shift a number of times because it was just too busy. It's not ideal, but it's better than not taking a break at all. You can get in trouble for that shit.
Circle9 is probably a cashier or somewhere on the salesfloor and gets told to take their break. I remember when I had organized breaks in my last job. It was alright.

Circle9 is probably a cashier or somewhere on the salesfloor and gets told to take their break. I remember when I had organized breaks in my last job. It was alright.

True. I'm up at the Service Desk, so I get told when to go too, but there are still plenty of times where I simply couldn't go, and had to wait until the next person relieved me to take a break. It's funny you say that though, because every time I've covered somewhere on the salesfloor, I've had to take my break at the very end of my shift. The worst time was when covering Electronics. I had to stay AFTER when I was supposed to clock out, just to technically take my break. Didn't want to do that, but my GSTL insisted because she felt so bad, and didn't want me to get in trouble. :rolleyes: Whatever, extra pay I guess.

It isn't just a spot requirement of when you take your break it's state/fed laws. You must take it in intervals and not at the end of the shift or make a lunch longer. In order for spot to cover their ass, they even state when you must take your breaks and when you're not allowed to. Doing so at the end of the shift isn't allowed. Either clear things up with your ETL about breaks and how you can better coordinate when the best time to go, or take the initiative and state you are going to break as required.

Doesn't matter what position you have, you are not supposed to take your break at your last 15. Not saying it doesn't happen and perhaps your leadership doesn't care but that doesn't change the rules set by Target.

So it's better to NOT take a break?

Not on my watch, rules or rules.

I've worked for an hour or so after I clocked out due to being asked because of payroll. Got bought lunch next day. Didn't really matter to me. I didn't have anything else to do and it was only 9$ I was missing out on. I care for the company so whatevs
NO NO NO NO ....To start with you could be fired for that...and whoever asked you to do it could and should be fired as well. I care about the company as well but I don't go to Spot to volunteer my time.

So it's better to NOT take a break?

Not on my watch, rules or rules.

This^

Yes, you're not supposed to take your break 15 minutes before you leave. BUT, it's better than not taking it at all.

You're being paid to take breaks. No, you shouldn't take them right before you clock out, but sometimes it works out that way. I'm sure they'd rather you take it then than during a pull.

Side note: I had a new ETL try to ask me not to take a break. I laughed and asked if he wanted anything from Starbucks because I was getting coffee and going to smoke. Moral: don't let others dictate what you do with what you earn.

I still don't see WTF difference it makes. If I wait until the last minute I can assure everything I need to do gets done.

That sounds great in a perfect (Target) world.

I still don't see WTF difference it makes. If I wait until the last minute I can assure everything I need to do gets done.

Its work rules so that employers can't work you all day then "Let" you have your 15 before you leave.. Its one of those things you shouldn't do all the time but once in a while - no biggie..

Actually, the only time I've needed to do that was for my 2nd break, which is easily overlooked.

If I'm closing, I take my last 10 min or 15 or whatever I remember to take at the end so I can leave at 11:55pm on the dot to catch my train. I don't do that any other time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back