Archived Team Members on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for everybody. I'm not afraid to admit that I have fellow team members on Facebook. I know what you're thinking, be careful what I post because it could come back to bite me in the future. At my store there is one team member that people don't like working with for many, many reasons. However, he keeps adding people to Facebook. This team member is the kind of person to report you for looking at him the wrong way. People are afraid if they don't accept his friend requests on Facebook that he'll cause a stir in the store. As silly as this sounds could you hypothetically get in trouble by HR for adding everybody else to Facebook but him. I have no shame with what I post on Facebook but he is like a megaphone, you tell him something and he'll tell the world what you told him. He just doesn't feel like friend like others I work with do. Should I accept his friend request or not? If I don't will it cause trouble if he were to report to HR for the simple reason of not adding him?

Don't accept it, don't reject it (so he just sees it as pending for eternity), and (this is especially important for life, not just a team member at Target) make sure your profile is set to private. In fact, nobody can add me, you can't search me, and I use my middle name as my last name.

You can't get in trouble for being friends with people on Facebook, plain and simple. Some stores have their own guidelines that they use (mine really doesn't bat an eyelash if TLs are friends with TMs, but they don't advocate ETLs being friends with TLs or TMs). I have some ETL friends on Facebook, but those are ones that have either left the store or left the company. I will say I have trained in stores where the rules are a bit more lax. Suffice it to say, As long as it doesn't get in the way of your work they really can't say anything.

That being said just be careful what you say, and who you say it to. Use the mantra if you can't say it to someone's face, don't post it on Facebook. That way you can be friends with this person and keep your nose clean at the same time. Good luck...

Are you being serious about FB drama? Just tell him to **** off, that you're not friends and don't want to talk to him.
wow...fb drama irl

A few people already declined his friend request and he went nuts. I witnessed him say "You must be hiding something if you don't want me as your Facebook friend" and my fellow team member said "Nope, I'm not" "Then why do you have other people from work on Facebook but keep declining my friend request?" It sounds silly but its a fact. He's been making it really awkward for people who refuse to add him.

Tell him you keep FB personal. He's a coworker, not your friend. Whatever supposed consequences he has to offer are truly irrelevant to your job, especially if others can corroborate your story if something were to go down.

Honestly, if it's me, I tell him right off that I'm not comfortable enough to have him as a friend, especially if he's going to be that aggressive about the issue.

Are you being serious about FB drama? Just tell him to **** off, that you're not friends and don't want to talk to him.
wow...fb drama irl

A few people already declined his friend request and he went nuts. I witnessed him say "You must be hiding something if you don't want me as your Facebook friend" and my fellow team member said "Nope, I'm not" "Then why do you have other people from work on Facebook but keep declining my friend request?" It sounds silly but its a fact. He's been making it really awkward for people who refuse to add him.

That is creepy and controlling.
I would say that someone like that should be brought to the attention of the ETLs because that involves bullying behavior.

There are so many ways you can go with this. You can look him straight in the eye, don't say anything, turn and ignore him as if he doesn't exist. Call him a creep. Tell him you don't like dramaqueens. Ask him why he wants to be your FB friend since you're not even friends IRL. Tell him it's none of his business. Whatever, I'd call him pathetic or something, maybe make an ewwww face, I dunno but I wouldn't be bullied into it.

wow...fb drama irl

This guy sounds like trouble. Don't back down & just tell him to stop asking because you won't change your mind.

I'd also be VERY careful about who you approve in the future because this guy sounds like the type of guy who would make a fake account to try to get into your FB page to see what he's missing.

deny it, and block him. if he bullies you about it, tell him thats why, and tell your HR, you wont get in trouble for denying a friend request on facebook for that reason.

I would block him, then when he asks why in person, just say that you deleted your Facebook.

If that doesn't work, you could just tell him that you don't like him, to stop bothering you, and go find someone else to annoy. :)

I did block him on Facebook but I'm betting he might ask other people "Do you still have Kevin on Facebook because I can't find him anymore?" I won't add anyone that I don't personally know. But yeah I might give HR the heads up in case something does happen.

leave the request in limbo and make sure everything is set to private on your Facebook, if he asks tell him your almost never on there

I have about a dozen requests from former coworkers still in limbo, and I've been gone almost a year now. Nothing wrong with that.

This is EXACTLY the reason friending TMs is a bad idea.
This type of guy sounds like the kind that HR should be aware of.

I wouldn't go as far as saying friending TMs is a bad idea. Although this guy is a little off the deep end...

Having friends to work with makes work much more enjoyable and makes for a "well-being" workplace.

dont stress about it, just block him and leave it at that, so what if he asks others if their still friends with you, he will get the hint, if not, than go to HR and have them tell this f**ker to leave you alone

You could always "accept" it, but then set your privacy settings so he doesn't see anything you post unless he goes directly to your timeline. It's doubtful he'd go to the trouble of it. I have a few people "hidden" like this ;)

also a little advice...

i wouldnt use your real name on here, you really dont know who is on here that is from your store, i HIGHLY suggest you tell a mod to change your username.

You could always "accept" it, but then set your privacy settings so he doesn't see anything you post unless he goes directly to your timeline. It's doubtful he'd go to the trouble of it. I have a few people "hidden" like this ;)

I wouldn't rely on this method because you cannot rely on Facebook to not make yet another privacy settings update that exposes your posts to people you never intended to see part of your page.

Just having access to your site means they have the potential to reach out to your other 'friends' & to discover things you never intended them to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back