Archived Tech Toys On The Job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I will agree that things such as cell phones can be an annoyance when on the sales floor. And there is that quote unquote "no cell phones on the floor" rule, which just seems to go out the window for some people. HOWEVER, I think there should be some exceptions to the rule. For example, in electronics if a team member has an iPad and a guest is wondering about buying one, but wants to make an informed decision, then allow that TM to bring theirs to work with them. You can't just pull one out of the box nor grab the display for a demonstration. There is a bigger impact between telling someone what a device can do and actually showing them. Now if that said Electronics TM is just constantly on their iPad then it would become a problem.

Secondly, as you all probably know, Backroom (at least at my store) is exempt from the no cell phones rule. It is frowned upon if we have them out all the time. But for me I could just say it is an ipod touch (it is actually an iPhone), but they are not going to take the time to see the difference. But Backroom there are only two of us at a time (one when closing and usually just one (me) on Sundays), and so we have to have something to keep us entertained while working IMO.

Wether you want to believe it or not, technology is being used more and more on the job. Heck at my other job, I am contacted continuously through text, e-mail and Face Time (on a couple occasions).

So any annoyances, exceptions or concerns anyone else wants to express?

If I brought my hypothetically iPad to work, where would I keep it?

Hmmm... there is a cabinet in the electronics boat. If you could lock it up somehow

AND if (*when*) this hypothetical iPad gets stolen, who will be held responsible? TM? Target? AP??

Keep the iPad in your locker, not at the boat. If its stolen, it's your loss. If a guest wants a demo, I go & get mine iPad or itouch from there. Show It off, & take it back to my locker.
Backroom & iPods, ask your brtl ot etl on that one. Safety is the issue on that one.

I agree that we should have accessibility to tech toys... It's sad when the guest can pull out their smart phone and have access to more info than I do. The no cell phone on the phone... UGH! I leave my phone in my locker. The only time I ever have my phone on me is if I don't have a pda. When I was questioned, I told the etl straight out... I am responsible for taking my breaks on time, I am not always near some place to check the time nor do I want to rely on someone else to walkie me when I have to go. I also showed them that my phone is locked and to do anything but check the time is a pain. I never had an issue since and I rarely don't have a pda.
Our backroom has Ipod touch's and docks so there is always music playing but I know the powers that be have checked to make sure no phones are used.

At my store, nobody cares if you have your phone on you. I can't speak for electronics as I'm never in that department except once in a blue moon to cover a break, but I have used my phone once to help a guest at guest service and nobody said anything. And I know several of us, after closing we'll whip out our phones and get music playing and nobody says anything then either.

And phones can be beneficial at times. Got a complaint yesterday that nobody was answering the phones when they tried calling the store. For whatever reason, we are apparently having issues with our phone that if you call the store while the phone is on night ring, as soon as it goes back to the operator, the phone will instead disconnect.

I agree that we should have accessibility to tech toys... It's sad when the guest can pull out their smart phone and have access to more info than I do. The no cell phone on the phone... UGH! I leave my phone in my locker. The only time I ever have my phone on me is if I don't have a pda. When I was questioned, I told the etl straight out... I am responsible for taking my breaks on time, I am not always near some place to check the time nor do I want to rely on someone else to walkie me when I have to go. I also showed them that my phone is locked and to do anything but check the time is a pain. I never had an issue since and I rarely don't have a pda.
Our backroom has Ipod touch's and docks so there is always music playing but I know the powers that be have checked to make sure no phones are used.
Not to be a smart butt here ,but how about wearing a watch to check time?

I am against having any tech toys while on he clock. !!!!you do not need to be entertained while working ! End of the story !
Texting ,facebooking on the floor has been out of control ! One tm at the fitting even called a radio station while on the clock stating which store she was at and her name and that she was bored !!!!
For the past week ,the stl is implemanting a no cell phone on the floor ! Flyers are posted at the clock ,breakroom and it is repeated at each huddle ! We'll see ...

Not to be a smart butt here ,but how about wearing a watch to check time?

LOL I know, that's a me issue. I don't wear jewelry/watches very often, mostly because every time I do, I wind up catching it on something and hurting myself.

I am against having any tech toys while on he clock. !!!!you do not need to be entertained while working ! End of the story !
Texting ,facebooking on the floor has been out of control ! One tm at the fitting even called a radio station while on the clock stating which store she was at and her name and that she was bored !!!!
For the past week ,the stl is implemanting a no cell phone on the floor ! Flyers are posted at the clock ,breakroom and it is repeated at each huddle ! We'll see ...

I don't disagree with you on this at all. ACCESS to get detailed info or to show a guest is one thing. texting, fb'ing... not cool.

If anything, PDAs should have more access for things. Access to things such as target.com and email would be a start.

I agree staticsun. It just seems that the PDA's are somewhat limited. And Calimero perhaps you should then have a meeting with my management team (aside from my ETL-LOG), because every time I see one of them on the floor, that is what they are doing. They are tweeting, facebooking, or checking some mobile forum. I may whip it out in the backroom to check a status update or text. Other than that it stays in my pocket as Pandora plays while I work on my pulls, backstock, Pogs, etc...

Does anyone know what stuff I can delete on a PDA so I can put more music on it? Listening to the same three songs gets boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back