I'm Lost! Terminated for huge mistake

Hi! So i was termed the other day.. At first, I was just waiting to clock in, and my ETL-HR asked me to talk to her inside her office and AP was there, about to ask me some question. I answered it truthfully, and took responsibility. (Wait...this is not theft or anything don’t get me wrong pls!) but is it normal for me to feel bad? I loved my job, but it’s just I felt heavy and they were so nice before I left target, gave me advices and all that.

Last edited:
Learn from it. You did something that cause a financial loss to spot.
Yes. That’s what they said. “We all make mistakes. Don’t let it define you. Learn and Grow from it”
They also told me that if I will have another job and that company will call target, they will just say that I worked there and all that, but they will keep the other things confidential.

Yes. That’s what they said. “We all make mistakes. Don’t let it define you. Learn and Grow from it”
They also told me that if I will have another job and that company will call target, they will just say that I worked there and all that, but they will keep the other things confidential.
That is correct.

That’s company policy. They aren’t doing you any favors.

It's normal to feel bad. They don't hate you, and they may even feel bad that they had to let you go. Definitely an opportunity for growth.

When my management position was eliminated at my old company, my store manager and immediate supervisor were (or at least seemed) like they were crushed, but I was thrilled - I had been more than done with that place for awhile. Despite being mostly ecstatic, I still couldn't help but have feelings of sadness as well. Nobody wants to feel rejected.

"Depressed" is the word in English that you want. If it was a mistake that got you fired, be very careful in future employment not to make a similar mistake. It must have been a large one.

Thanks everyone. I definitely learned from my mistake. At first, I thought what I was doing was right because I asked leads about it a lot. And that’s what I’ve been doing since I started. But I was wrong. So I got fired. I was sad, but my family said it’s okay and people make mistakes. I can learn from it.

So there’s this person who always comes to my register and always does a pricematch, and I ask LOD’s EVERYDAY if I can do it and they said “yea just honor it” and she came to my register everyday and I got uncomfortable so I called a lead. She didn’t come back after that. The other day I was called by my ETL-HR and she said that I caused shortage for the company and all that, and I told them what happened and they said that’s not what they saw on camera so I was confused, my lead was there when it happened. And they said that they would terminate me.

Yeah, it's a shitty situation but that means one of the following:

1) You were within 90 days and needed to purge someone/people
2) You were already on a warning for another behavior and they wanted to get rid of you
3) You did something (gross misconduct / improper money handling via price change) and someone used it as a reason to get rid of you.

Don't worry about it too much. Start applying for other jobs. Most retailers are hiring people left and right. Or, find a non-retail job. You'll get through it!

I’ve been working there for 6 months. No warnings, No anything. Just doing my job. So I was shocked.

Yeah, it's a shitty situation but that means one of the following:

1) You were within 90 days and needed to purge someone/people
2) You were already on a warning for another behavior and they wanted to get rid of you
3) You did something (gross misconduct / improper money handling via price change) and someone used it as a reason to get rid of you.

Don't worry about it too much. Start applying for other jobs. Most retailers are hiring people left and right. Or, find a non-retail job. You'll get through it!
And yes. Thank you so much! I just felt good about myself for not lying also, I just told them what happened at that time. Thank u!

And let me tell all of you, that happened a couple of months ago, and they just termed me the other day.

Sounds like they are either way behind on their paperwork or they are looking for reasons to term people.
I know. I would totally understand if it’s like a week after that happened cuz they still have to investigate. But MONTHS after????? Which is okay. I still loved working there.

And I also did a mistake. :) and I was being honest about it. I was grateful to have a job at target.
You seem to have a great outlook and genuinely like working so I’m sure any place will be happy to have you! I’ve worked at other places besides target that were lots of fun, you’ll find something!

You seem to have a great outlook and genuinely like working so I’m sure any place will be happy to have you! I’ve worked at other places besides target that were lots of fun, you’ll find something!
Thank you so much! ❤️ I would never regret working at Target. It was a great first job for me, especially I came from a different country who just wishes to step inside target before and now I can say I used to work at Target!

I always go directly to AP about any transaction that doesn't feel right in my gut. A guest coming in everyday for a price match would certainly been one of those times.

I can only surmise that they got you for not verifying the validity of the competing price in the Price Match app. However, if your store is like mine, the frontend cashiers (Guest Advocates) don't each have their own myDevices.

In addition, if a Leader gave you the OK each time, how are you ultimately responsible?

My guess is someone above you was called out for the shortage and made you the scapegoat to cover their own ass. You come across here as a nice person. Unfortunately, that and the fact you are an immigrant, probably made you an easy mark for an unscrupulous person in leadership.

Sorry this happened to you, but while you may feel depressed, you don't seem bitter. That kind of attitude will help you in finding a new employer. Best of luck at your next (and probably better) job!

Back