I'm Lost! Terminated for huge mistake

I always go directly to AP about any transaction that doesn't feel right in my gut. A guest coming in everyday for a price match would certainly been one of those times.

I can only surmise that they got you for not verifying the validity of the competing price in the Price Match app. However, if your store is like mine, the frontend cashiers (Guest Advocates) don't each have their own myDevices.

In addition, if a Leader gave you the OK each time, how are you ultimately responsible?

My guess is someone above you was called out for the shortage and made you the scapegoat to cover their own ass. You come across here as a nice person. Unfortunately, that and the fact you are an immigrant, probably made you an easy mark for an unscrupulous person in leadership.

Sorry this happened to you, but while you may feel depressed, you don't seem bitter. That kind of attitude will help you in finding a new employer. Best of luck at your next (and probably better) job!
That’s what I’m thinking also, but I also remind myself that it already happened, and there’s still a lot of opportunities out there! Thank you so much! What you said made me feel a lot better

So there’s this person who always comes to my register and always does a pricematch, and I ask LOD’s EVERYDAY if I can do it and they said “yea just honor it” and she came to my register everyday and I got uncomfortable so I called a lead. She didn’t come back after that. The other day I was called by my ETL-HR and she said that I caused shortage for the company and all that, and I told them what happened and they said that’s not what they saw on camera so I was confused, my lead was there when it happened. And they said that they would terminate me.
You would not necessarily have known this as a new TM, but I'd be extremely leery of any guest who specifically goes to your register and FREQUENTLY asks for a pricematch. I don't know how frequently this occurred. If these are exceptionally deep "price match" discounts and the item in question is an EXACT match, in the event that the LOD said to "just honor it", I'd ask to log out of your ID and have the LOD log in and perform the transaction under their ID. This isn't being disrespectful to the LOD, just explain you are extremely uncomfortable given the circumstances.

Personally, I think pricematch is not a good business practice - with the exception of target.com. There are many who disagree with me on this. It's just too easily abused, and the TM can end up being scapegoated by an overly aggressive scammer who abuses the price match privilege. I don't think there has been much objective professional research into whether retail merchants like Target actually gain enough additional sales and market share from pricematch to offset the revenue loss and potential abuse/fraud issues. Many, though not all, guests who demand price match are NOT loyal Target guests.

In your other thread, you mentioned having to pay restitution to Target. In any event, I'm sorry you got caught in this situation.

Last edited:
And to all of you who replied to this thread, thank you so much!

I'm sorry this happened to you. Did you know the person? I'm assuming you did or that AP thinks you did. Were the price matches on high dollar items (Vacuums, TVs, etc). I think someone was taking advantage of you. Are you banned from the store as well?

For anyone coming on this thread who is kind of new, always use the Price Match app on the MyDevice/Zebra. That will cover your ass. When I don't like the situation, I make the SETL handle it. When I am watching the front and I see the slightest bit of uncertainty on the TMs face, I get in and take over.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Did you know the person? I'm assuming you did or that AP thinks you did. Were the price matches on high dollar items (Vacuums, TVs, etc). I think someone was taking advantage of you. Are you banned from the store as well?

For anyone coming on this thread who is kind of new, always use the Price Match app on the MyDevice/Zebra. That will cover your ass. When I don't like the situation, I make the SETL handle it. When I am watching the front and I see the slightest bit of uncertainty on the TMs face, I get in and take over.
No. I don’t know the person. And it’s just on toilet papers, cleaning supplies (chemicals). No, I’m not banned from the store. Not all the guest advocates have a zebra. And this happened months ago.

Back