Archived Terminated gstl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little wonky about this because I did pull an item from the backroom during my shift and then purchase it full price after I got off work last holiday season. It was already fully stocked on the floor and I only took it from the back so I didn't have to remove any of the purchasable items already on the floor. How bad is that?
as long as it was on the floor in its home location for 10 minutes, you’re fine

I suspect there's probably some ASANTS here. I buy shit out of the backroom all the time, but always full-price stuff that we have a million on-hands of in wacos and none on the floor. Never anything on sale or clearance, and never any "limited stock" like Vineyard Vines or Black Friday doorbusters (can't get through the backroom around Black Friday anyhow) so that's probably why they don't care. I've made no secret of this and I use my TM discount each time, so if they wanted to merc me for it they've had every opportunity to do so

Edit: forgot to add that in cases like this when we have 1000 in the back and none on the floor, I always grab several of the same item, buy one and put the rest on the shelf. This is probably "working off the clock" if nothing else but it literally takes 120 seconds and I'm quitting soon anyway so...

I don’t know where to share this but I’m so confused.
Last week I was terminated for repackaging 2 online items (something I’ve done the three years I’ve been there) and holding it to purchase for myself. I was told I stole potential money from the company, as in it could have sold at regular price.
Is this an odd reason to terminate a tl? I know there is a policy against holding clearance items but I can’t find anything about online items especially since we usually make the call to defect online items.
I have had zero conversations about anything negative in my entire time there, never called out, never been written up. I just think it’s so odd for it.
Our store is really high in retention right now and the only thing I can think of is our AP is trying to save his own butt? The total mark down was over 50 dollars and that’s why he said they were terminating me because it was such a large amount. It wasn’t done with Ill intentions at all and that’s what I told him. I was simply trying to get a better deal for just that I have given many guests to get rid of online items especially before inventory.
Again, I did what I did but I genuinely didn’t think I was stealing from the company.

I guess what I want to know, is there a best practice or a written policy when it comes to online items?

Thanks
People are terminated for this a LOT. if you want to buy something marked down, make sure you have someone else mark it down.
Because you did it yourself, you flagged on a report Ap monitors for employee theft.

People are terminated for this a LOT. if you want to buy something marked down, make sure you have someone else mark it down.
Because you did it yourself, you flagged on a report Ap monitors for employee theft.

Wow the computer tracks who marks it down and who buys it? What if you don't use your TM discount? Do they track cards too? It's all very interesting. I am so grateful for this site. I mark things down a lot at GS and once i bought some of it, but because I read here, I waited till that shit was on the floor for almost 24 hours. My job is worth more that $20 or any amount you could save on a single item and my integrity is worth far more than that.

Wow the computer tracks who marks it down and who buys it? What if you don't use your TM discount? Do they track cards too? It's all very interesting. I am so grateful for this site. I mark things down a lot at GS and once i bought some of it, but because I read here, I waited till that shit was on the floor for almost 24 hours. My job is worth more that $20 or any amount you could save on a single item and my integrity is worth far more than that.
They can track based on ™ logged in, ™ discount used, and name on the card.

Most stuff like that is auto flagged and a report is automatically generated and sent to the APBP and AP team at the store to investigate. The regional investigation team makes it pretty easy to fire internals for purchase policy violations.

What if we are on break and make a drive up order for ourselves and get in our car to pick it up?
Honestly not sure. On your 30? Definitely not a problem. On your 15 they might be able to make some case we’re you're still on the clock. Either way your TMs are going to think super highly of you for doing it 😂😂

Would it have been a problem in this case if, as a TL, they directed one of their TMs to mark it down? Obviously that might not show on a report as easy, but it still strikes me as iffy.

A while back, a TL in our store wanted a display tv we were swapping out. The TL called over one of their TMs and had them put it through 2nd markdown and instantly took it to the register and bought it.

Obviously, that runs afoul of the 15 minute rule, but what about the directing a TM to mark it down with the clear intent of purchasing it and without giving the guests any opportunity to buy it at even the 1st markdown price before going to the 2nd?

And did that TM do anything wrong? Could they potentially try to blame them (either instead of or in addition to the TL) even though they were directed to do it (as I recall, they weren't told that it was for a TL purchase until they had marked it down already)

TL is in the wrong all the way.
I might have a talk with the TM about the purchase guidelines. He was doing what he was asked to by a leader, but when/if he realized what the TL was doing, he should have said something.

TL is in the wrong all the way.
I might have a talk with the TM about the purchase guidelines. He was doing what he was asked to by a leader, but when/if he realized what the TL was doing, he should have said something.
This. TL can and should be fired for that. Technically the ™ can get in trouble as the handbook says we can face disciplinary action for knowingly ringing someone up who is violating the purchase guidelines, even if they aren’t themselves

Would it have been a problem in this case if, as a TL, they directed one of their TMs to mark it down? Obviously that might not show on a report as easy, but it still strikes me as iffy.

A while back, a TL in our store wanted a display tv we were swapping out. The TL called over one of their TMs and had them put it through 2nd markdown and instantly took it to the register and bought it.

Obviously, that runs afoul of the 15 minute rule, but what about the directing a TM to mark it down with the clear intent of purchasing it and without giving the guests any opportunity to buy it at even the 1st markdown price before going to the 2nd?

And did that TM do anything wrong? Could they potentially try to blame them (either instead of or in addition to the TL) even though they were directed to do it (as I recall, they weren't told that it was for a TL purchase until they had marked it down already)
Only rule that’s broken here is not letting it sit on the floor. If that TM was just asked to activate the clearance price there’s nothing wrong with that. If they asked the TM to do a repackage on the item then that’s a problem

Only rule that’s broken here is not letting it sit on the floor. If that TM was just asked to activate the clearance price there’s nothing wrong with that. If they asked the TM to do a repackage on the item then that’s a problem

Yeah it was a repackage. What's the difference there? Steeper markdown? I figured that part was ok since we didn't have the original box.

Yeah it was a repackage. What's the difference there? Steeper markdown? I figured that part was ok since we didn't have the original box.
Clearance is designated by HQ so no harm in activating something and sell it at a price it’s already supposed to be at. Repackaging something lets you pick a price (within reason) and if purchased by a TM can be seen as you marking it down to get it cheaper. We typically take 15% off our clearance displays. Repacking clearance just repackages the original selling price.

Clearance: Is supposed to be sold at that price
Repackage: Price changed by TM discretion(unless online return)

Clearance is designated by HQ so no harm in activating something and sell it at a price it’s already supposed to be at. Repackaging something lets you pick a price (within reason) and if purchased by a TM can be seen as you marking it down to get it cheaper. We typically take 15% off our clearance displays. Repacking clearance just repackages the original selling price.

Clearance: Is supposed to be sold at that price
Repackage: Price changed by TM discretion(unless online return)

Ah ok yeah. All I know is the sticker said repackage and it already had a clearance price before that. A couple of people (TM/TLs) were debating on buying it even at that price then one of the TLs had the idea to have someone come over and mark it down again. I know it wasn't directed to be a specific price because he said something to the effect of "let's see how cheap it is after this markdown".

At any rate, seems like the bigger thing was not letting it sit on floor for the right amount of time. I personally felt it was a bit weirder that he had someone come over to specifically mark it down so he could buy it. Even though that intent would be pretty difficult to prove, I figured it might run afoul of the rules just because it's basically just getting around the rule of not marking it down yourself.

To tie it back to the OPs example, it sounds like you're saying it would have been perfectly fine had they directed one of their TMs to mark it down and left it on the floor for a while. Though even that last step is optional since there apparently aren't any flags for an employee purchase less than 15 minutes after it was marked down, so their AP probably never would have known about it if they directed someone else to mark it down. Which seems weird because the intent and end result are the exact same in both cases. You could maybe even argue the 2nd is worse because they are using their status as a TL to have a TM help them circumvent purchase policy.

When I repackage a brand we don't carry in our store or reticket an online item, a price automatically comes up on the zebra and I just print the ticket. Is that price changeable? I wouldn't even think of doing that, I go by what the zebra says.

When I repackage a brand we don't carry in our store or reticket an online item, a price automatically comes up on the zebra and I just print the ticket. Is that price changeable? I wouldn't even think of doing that, I go by what the zebra says.
It is changeable but you can only go so low and it’ll tell you what’s the lowest you can go if you try to change it lower than it will let you. You can also repackage a repackage to get it lower though. One of my old TLs would repackage all of her stuff a second time after sitting on the shelf for a couple weeks. If it still didn’t sell she should salvage it out

One of my old TLs would repackage all of her stuff a second time after sitting on the shelf for a couple weeks. If it still didn’t sell she should salvage it out
Every so often I will scan the endcaps and any rewraps I will scan, look at the last rewrap date, and if its a week or two I will do another rewrap. I will continue to do this. It will eventually sell. I don't salvage it but I am not a TL so it may get salvaged by others who knows.

Every so often I will scan the endcaps and any rewraps I will scan, look at the last rewrap date, and if its a week or two I will do another rewrap. I will continue to do this. It will eventually sell. I don't salvage it but I am not a TL so it may get salvaged by others who knows.
Yeah I would only do it a couple times depending on what the original price was but as long as you’re not constantly buying the stuff no one will care. If you really want to buy something make sure it sits there for a couple days so no one will make a fuse about it

I did this when I was a TM and was given a stern warning. I will never do it again. Doesn't matter what the item is, but better safe then sorry. I'm not even at the same store anymore and I won't do it again. Marking shit down and then buying it is a easy way for TMs to get termed. We recently had a TM who was marking down clearance and marking down online items excessively and then stashing them throughout the store and buying them on her breaks. She's no longer a TM. If you wanted to buy these things just put them on a clearance endcap... buy it on your break. Things just don't get put out on the floor and then get bought immediately. Do you mind telling us what the merchandise was?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back