Archived Thanks for nothing, Jill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill of All Trades

hang on, I've got a blinker
We just got a new STL and he's driving me and my coworkers just about insane. A little background about me:

*Been with Target over a year
*Great attendance record
*Trusted and relied on for comp shop and cash office
*Has come in to open in multiple snowstorms when everyone else called out
*Seldom called out (until recently...)
*Was promoted from seasonal cashier to GSA in less than 6 months

Lately, I've been having some serious health problems that have caused me to call out- both time I called out was because I was at the ER. My medical conditions have caused significant anemia so I'm not super-energetic, but I've been showing up and giving my best effort.

Today, the STL caught a glimpse of me leaning on a counter near food ave talking to a clocked out employee. The conversation could not have lasted more than 45 seconds, tops. I was, in fact asking him if he wanted to clock in a little early and help with one spot reshop. Rather than say something to me, he asked my supervisor (GSTL) to coach me on laziness.

Later, when he was assisting me with some keys, I asked him if he wanted a note from the ER for my absence a few days ago. His reply: "Target doesn't take doctors notes anymore. A call out is a callout- it's the same if you're sick or just don't want to show up." Not "I'm sorry to hear you were so sick!" or "we don't take doctors notes but thank you for getting one anyway." Nope.

I may be oversensitive but that's just shitty. Being stuck in a hospital bed is pretty damn different than not wanting to go to work. I finished out my shift a few days ago in horrible pain because I knew nobody else was there to do it instead of me- I don't want a medal or anything, but I would like to be put in a category different from the people who NCNS all the time or call in "sick" every Friday and Monday.

If this guy has a problem with me, he can ask my supervisors about me, not just knee-jerk react like I had been hired yesterday.

I have two upcoming surgeries and I had planned to work alongside Target to make sure I missed the least amount of work- coming in for a few CO shifts while I healed up and then graduating to GSA shifts when I felt recovered enough. At this point I'm thinking the wise thing to do is just take a medical LOA that totally encompases both surgeries and full recovery periods plus a few days, even if the two surgeries are far apart. It would be less complicated for Target to deal with. I just can't count on seeing the kind of accommodation during recovery that employees used to enjoy here where people were welcomed back to work at their own ability level as they got better. And I'm sure as hell not motivated to experience another ounce of pain for the sake of smooth operations at Target.

I get it. All STLs are different and the "It's Everyone's First Day Again!" approach is common- it's sure as hell easier than actually getting to know your employees. The responsibility is on me to make this man like me, or else things WILL get worse. This is why I'm venting here, not at work.

There's not a lot that bosses say that really gets to me, but questioning/disparaging my dedication to my job (even Target) is a big deal to me because dedication to work is a personal value for me.

It may not be EVERY store but it seems like many just don't give a rat's a$$ about anything going on in you personal life that could affect your work performance.
We have a TM who's leaving because her husband is in failing health & leadership is treating her like she's a traitor.
Never mind the fact that, until recently, she was a hard worker & more dependable than anyone else here.
She's no longer useful to them.

I'd say take whatever is going to be best for you.
Obviously they don't care about you.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this kind of attitude.
Some people just aren't meant to be bosses.
Unfortunately, Spot seems to routinely put them in charge.

I'm more and more offended that Spot insists on using the term "team leader" to describe sociopaths like this. My STL is the same way -- brash, uncaring and loves to go on power trips where he bosses people around and 'coaches' them for the slightest offenses (and non-offenses). That's all this is about. It has nothing to do with him being new; he's just a jerk who thrives on making others feel shitty and miserable. "Store team leader," my ass. More like store team divider.

Like you I try to never call out and on the rare occasions that I have had to call out I have felt nothing but guilt I about it . However, about a year ago that all changed for me. I went to work one weekend with severe stomach pains . I was not going to call out and just had to drag myself to work. So, I went to work went to the bathroom constantly because I was very sick on my stomach and throwing up. However, I wouldn't ask to leave early...because I knew if I did Spot would think less of me etc. Then, my stomach pains got much worse I went into the bathroom and sat on the floor in the corner cause I knew I was going to pass out. I sat there till I felt a little better then got up looked in the mirror and I thought what the hell am I doing...I literally was sitting on a nasty ass bathroom floor because I am afraid I will make someone mad by leaving early. What the hell is wrong with me? . I got up and went to my team lead and said I have to go home now....never gave it a second thought after that. I missed a couple more days for doc appointments and test to find out what was going on with my stomach then had surgery. You have to look out for yourself and try not to take some assholes comments too serious. They don't care about us Hell they stab each other in the back when they get the chance so we should know they don't give a damn about us . You have to look out for you and your well being. Sometimes its ok to be selfish and put yourself first...cause Spot sure as hell has no issue putting itself first

Ive only called out twice and it wasnt even because I was in the ER but I had to drive to the ER and take care of my Fiance. Thankfully my bosses have been understanding

I'm sorry to hear about the way you've been treated. I hope your surgery is successful and I wish you a speedy recovery.

There's not a lot that bosses say that really gets to me, but questioning/disparaging my dedication to my job (even Target) is a big deal to me because dedication to work is a personal value for me.

Jill of All Trades, I hope you get your health issues straightened out ASAP! Get well soon.

Target should be very proud of the cold & heartless executives they install to oversee their underpaid & under-appreciated workforce.

The Best Company Ever......

If you all the other companies are named Walmart.

I learned to not care anymore than I had to when my husband broke his leg. I get a phone call late at night he broke his leg, his buddy took him to the hospital, all nighter in the ER, and surgical consult later that day. I met them at the ER. I call in at 3am and LOD started to give me crap on the phone "Was I sure I couldn't make it in?" They hadn't even started casting him yet. I ended up taking that entire week because his surgery was two days later. I also had to change my hours, since he was not allowed to drive, 10 weeks total since of which leg he broke.. Yes the right one.. And HR gave me a load of crap cause "The needs of Target its a hardship to work around this issue." I told them when they pay me what my husband gets paid we could talk until then deal.. My TL had no issue with it, her only question was "How late do you need?"

You only get one you, jobs will come and go, you don't always get a 2nd chance to fix yourself. So take the time and heal up.. OP I hope your issues heal quickly and correctly.

Thanks guys. I got the first surgery scheduled and I'm going to use my PTO for the recovery time. Unless I can get the second surgery scheduled right after that I might just come back to work for a few days/week in between. My ETL-HR and our HRTMs have been way way more accommodating than the STL. Our ETL-HR seems to get that I'm not doing this on purpose to make his life difficult.

Not everyone at my store sucks, thank god!

@Jill of All Trades make sure to check with your hr tm, or hr etl ( and if they are being an ass about it call tmsc). You may be able to get partial disability pay while you are out . I would had never known it was an option if my Hr tm hadn't told me . That way you wont have to use has many vacation hours etc.

Last edited:
Glad to hear things are going okay for you @Jill of All Trades
Take care of your self and and don't push it.
Also happy to hear that some folks at the store are being supportive, that makes up for the obnoxious dreck you got from the STL -- almost.

@Jill of All Trades make sure to check with your hr tm, or hr etl ( and if they are being an ass about it call tmsc). You may be able to get partial disability pay while you are out . I would had never known it was an option if my Hr tm hadn't told me . That way you wont have to use has many vacation hours etc.
It's called short term disability, I think you are talking about.

Thanks guys. I got the first surgery scheduled and I'm going to use my PTO for the recovery time. Unless I can get the second surgery scheduled right after that I might just come back to work for a few days/week in between. My ETL-HR and our HRTMs have been way way more accommodating than the STL. Our ETL-HR seems to get that I'm not doing this on purpose to make his life difficult.

Not everyone at my store sucks, thank god!
Go for short term disability.

There is also State Disability Insurance (SDI). It not available in all states. I think 5 states have it. I used it many years ago when I broke my hand skiing and couldn't work at the restaurant with only 1 hand. Got 5 weeks paid for.

Ditto on this.
Take care of your own self.
Spot can wait.
Let 'em find out how much you REALLY did.

I had an extensive surgery while working for spot. Took short term disability and came back with work restrictions IN WRITING. They tried to ignore them. Stay out as long as you can and take the disability. They will not care that you are not 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back