Archived Thanksgiving at midnight = only this year!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our HR has a signup sheet in her office and you can put down when you'd like to start, where you'd like to work, and how many hours. Also, when you'd like to end. I have family coming for Thanksgiving and told her I really didn't want to start at midnight and she said not to worry. I wouldn't have to if I didn't want to. Also, they are reaquiring everyone to work at least a 6 hour shift. Not too bad.

At my store, Flow is scheduled as cashiers or on the floor to push. There is no flow process on Black Friday. You basically become salesfloor for a day. And the really big scary socially unnormal one's are scheduled as AP.
I don't think they can schedule Flow as AP, no matter how unnormal they are...

I don't think they can schedule Flow as AP, no matter how unnormal they are...

They aren't so much AP as they are crowd control. Probably should've typed that but I was tired. They stand outside for about 4 hours and keep people in a line and yell at them when they misbehave. Works wonders

They'd need cattle prods at my store to keep 'em in line....

They aren't so much AP as they are crowd control. Probably should've typed that but I was tired. They stand outside for about 4 hours and keep people in a line and yell at them when they misbehave. Works wonders
Ah. That makes a little more sense.

Our HR has a signup sheet in her office and you can put down when you'd like to start, where you'd like to work, and how many hours. Also, when you'd like to end. I have family coming for Thanksgiving and told her I really didn't want to start at midnight and she said not to worry. I wouldn't have to if I didn't want to. Also, they are reaquiring everyone to work at least a 6 hour shift. Not too bad.

Requiring a 6 hour shift... our etl at huddle last night told us that we would be working 11-12 hr shifts. Not that it bothers me, but, I'm assuming our forecast is going to be 800-1.0 and we are wayyyy understaffed... just like last year... ugh!

Well, since our store is understaffed, everyone who normally doesn't work on Friday got the "we need your availability on BF...11(Th)-?F, ?F-?, etc". Since I normally close on Fridays, I wasn't asked :party2:

At my store, Flow is scheduled as cashiers or on the floor to push. There is no flow process on Black Friday. You basically become salesfloor for a day. And the really big scary socially unnormal one's are scheduled as AP.

We were told that the FLOW team would be cashiers at midnight because we will not have the time to hire and train enough people before Black Friday. I have had about 30 minutes ringing the register over the past 12 years. I can see me getting coached for being too slow ringing the register on Black Friday while the LODs are in their offices drinking down a cold brew.

By the way, is being a cashier one of our (Flow Team) Core Roles? I will have to check.

One more thing...I am going to bet that holiday premium pay will be going away in the very near future. Once the company is open every day of the year...probably starting next year...they will use the mentality that since we are open every day there is no such thing as a holiday. Just wait and see.

Last edited:

Your store must be staffed pretty adequately :) Niiice.

Here is the official copy of the press release posted on Target.com
http://pressroom.target.com/pr/news/target-to-open-doors-at-midnight-10-28-11.aspx

I would like to know what Gregg & Corp bigwigs are actually thinking. To make an announcement like this less than a month before Black Friday. This doesn't give stores enough time to prep, or hire and train enough seasonal people.

I talked to some of my old TMs, and they are still 15-20 people short to be full covered at their low volume stores. TLs are going have to put in for 16 hour straight or split shifts. A number of cashiers are going have to do 10-12 hr shifts. And they only have two hours to prep before opening.

Welcome to the holidays.

Last edited:
It has already started... Christmas was set last night, queue ominous music.

I had several guests ask me during the course of my shift yesterday why Christmas stuff was being put out on the floor when it was just the *day* after holloween..

I had several guests ask me during the course of my shift yesterday why Christmas stuff was being put out on the floor when it was just the *day* after holloween..

Because it's set the day after Halloween every year. At least it's been like that since the first year I worked there, 2005, and every year since then. It was probably like that before then as well.
My first retail job was at a department store when I was in high school in the '80s and we were setting up the Christmas stuff during the World Series.

Yep, just got done the the first night in our two nights of overnights for the Christmas sets.
Same as the every year.
Though I do remember when I was a kid back in the stone age that some stores waited till after Thanksgiving to set Christmas.

Because it's set the day after Halloween every year. At least it's been like that since the first year I worked there, 2005, and every year since then. It was probably like that before then as well.
My first retail job was at a department store when I was in high school in the '80s and we were setting up the Christmas stuff during the World Series.

I know this... happened last year as well (I've been working at spot since July 2010) and it still amazes me...

I know this... happened last year as well (I've been working at spot since July 2010) and it still amazes me...

I was trying to point out that the guests, not you, must have missed this fact when they've shopped at Target at this time of year in previous years.

Our Flow won't be working black Friday except for the unload that night. We have a double on Wednesday & will be working it into Thursday with holiday pay. I don't think any of our flow TMs have been trained as cashiers. Heck, not many are even BR trained. :(

Our Flow won't be working black Friday except for the unload that night. We have a double on Wednesday & will be working it into Thursday with holiday pay. I don't think any of our flow TMs have been trained as cashiers. Heck, not many are even BR trained. :(

It was confirmed last night that the Flow Team will be working as cashiers at midnight. My TL didn't think is was going to work because no one is trained including myself. Oh I have rung up sales when I was on the In-stock team when backup occurred, but that was for a few minutes on a few days until the lines got down. I picked up how to ring the register on my own with no formal training.

What are they going to do, have everyone come in at 11:45 for a fifteen minute group training session right before they open the doors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back