• Thread starter Barcode
  • Start date
  • Replies 66
  • Views 8K
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barcode

So yeah... Since Photo has recently become my peace and zen at Target, I thought I would dedicate an entire thread to it :)

What are all of your Photo Labs like? This winter we're losing our Digital wet-lab, for a dry lab (instant prints only I think, but new printers, not the same crappy ones we have)... I'm kind of bummed since I've finally mastered all the workings of the wet lab :( Can anyone tell me what the new dry labs are like?

So I was told that one hour is entirely gone. Apparently sister-stores who've gone dry, have had a ton of extremely irate guests since we no longer offer 1 hour!

I was told that the Dry Lab printers are far superior to the prints in seconds printers that Wet Labs currently have... However I'm still pretty skeptical!

Hadn't heard that one hr was gone, not that it was that reliable anyway.
The on-line orders were the worst! Had a lady submit 400+ photos from a wedding & went batsh*t when they weren't ready the next day. Never mind that we had to change paper & tint rolls twice.

I really like the one hour... Sure it could break down a lot, but if we got Kodak on the phone they're usually pretty good about getting back to us within a day with a resolution..

The one hour is almost mandatory in my opinion for any order over 50 prints, otherwise I just feel like instant prints gets bogged down way too much. The one hour machine can chug 200 photos out like its nothing ;)

400 photos on a instant printer? /shudder

If this is the case I think they will need to continue having a dedicated photo TM... I can see paper/ribbon management getting a bit hairy otherwise.

On a totally unrelated note, we had an online order come through, and P.A.S.C. says it has invalid characters/symbols in the order, so it won't allow the order to process.... For a while it was disrupting internet prints, and nothing else could come through. Now orders have finally started coming through again, but this "bad order" has been stuck in our PASC for a week! If we remove it it just comes back lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
PASC sucks major ass. There are a few "clean up" tools available via the menu. Try unplugging your LAN cable, delete the order, clean up old orders, then re-plug your LAN cable in. Call Kodak support and ask for the Online Order support phone #, they can kill the order or maybe even fix the name.

The 7000 printer is a beast. 100 pictures in 15 minutes. The addition of the 7015 last year which just does 5x7 prints is pretty helpful. If you're a high volume lab, go to Tools - Devices - Manage Printers (something like that) and assign one of your printers as the "High Priority" printer. Which ever order you select as a "High Priority" printer will start printing on that device. You can also go into "Order Setup" and set "Network Orders" to manual release. This will let make you manually release all network orders before they start printing - helpful if you have a backlog of in-store orders you want to print first. It will also prevent orders from printing outside of your lab hours, avoiding paper jams, running out, etc. You can also set all orders to "Manual Release" which will make you have to "approve" all orders before they start printing/cds start burning. Really neat feature if you have a few big orders and a few small orders and you want to prioritize that way.

The 8800 printer (8x10, 9 wallet, 4x8 GC) is an amazing printer, too. Kodak recently switched to a longer ribbon roll (AFAIK) that will make the paper and ribbon run out at the same time, instead of the ribbon running out first. Make sure to empty the chad (beige) tray every now and then.

In the APEX, the "service password" is typically 258789. There are some neat diagnostic tools in there that you can play around with, including the PPAC monitor which will let you check the status of the yellow sorting trays for the 7000 printers.

You can add Sales Tax to the kiosk receipts. It's helpful so the guest doesn't see the subtotal of $.50 for two 1-hr prints, and then get upset over the extra few cents of tax. It also helps on the larger orders, too. It's in the kiosk's "Pricing Menu".

In "Receipt Setup" on the kiosk, you can set the receipts to print APEX Line Item barcodes. AKA they can use the kiosk receipts instead of the Zebra pricing label.

I have done a lot of other cool things, just can't think of them right now. Let me know if you have any questions!

We currently have our instnat prints setup to print a barcode on their receipt, so we don't use zebra labels for those. Just the one hour. We do have sales tax setup on the receipts though, which im thankful for... Makes pricing accurate so we don't have any potential arguments ;)

We tried calling Kodak for PASC... They couldn't do anything lol.

Sounds like we get some cool toys when we convert to dry lab, i'm excited :]

Oh photo, how I miss it so.

I haven't been to my old store since I quit (I avoid it) but one of my former coworkers told me that photo had been down for two weeks...right over the Christmas holiday. Haha. I wonder how many guests were mad? They'll be getting their dry lab in the next month or so.

I don't miss constantly having to fix other people's mistake though...

We had a few outages, mostly only lasting a day... Except for our folded cards, we haven't been able to do those for weeks (broken duplex printer).

The duplex had been great to me for years, until this year. They keep adding/changing paper sizes (4.8x6.8, 5x7 folded, 5x7 perforated, etc) and the APEX gets confused.

We just have a kiosk that doesn't work 75% of the time

Spent half a day on the phone with Kodak to get everything sorted out with ours, but it's reliable now. Only issue now is getting people PROPERLY trained on it, lol.

Are the new labs the things that look like a regular at-home printer, but bigger? I don't work Photo but I think ours must have converted over already because they lost an enormous piece of equipment in exchange for a glorified version of the printer I have at home. ;)

This is the Kodak Kiosk style I am referring to, specifically the one on the right(plus a CD burner).

kioskBanner_en.jpg

Yuck. The total do-it-yourself stations suck. These are designed to be totally standalone devices in low-traffic labs.

We have those, or you can send it to the printer behind the desk (same one the internet prints come in on...still basically a better printer than the prints in seconds...barely). Stand alone, they are not (well, in theory they are). If we are lucky, they work. If we are REALLY lucky, the guests don't need help. Half of them do. And trying to help them and run guest services (when I've never looked at the machine in my life) is fun. But it's step by step if the guest is willing to do it themselves (hint, they aren't).

I cringe every time I see a guest head towards one, in fear that it's going to tie up the GSTL/GSA or the service desk person for a while.

Last edited:
I love helping people in Photo, and if people want help on the kiosks i'm always glad to help. When Photo is busy (usually is), I usually don't have the time to even go over to service desk, I just focus on helping my guests and fulfilling their orders.

We don't have the kiosks in the picture though... We just have the Kodak PC's, and on the other side of the counter there are Kodak 6000 series (i think?) Instant Printers hooked up to them, as well as an 8x10 printer. And yeah... Our one hour is down now... The monitor won't turn on anymore, so we can't see what we're doing! :(

One Hour/Network:
4x6 - 7000 (can also print 5x7 on a 6x7 page)
5x7 - 7015
4x8 & 8x10 - 8800/8810 (Wallet prints come out as an 8x10)
5x7 Greeting Cards, Calendars and Photo Books - DL2100
Large Format - Some labs have the EPSON Poster Printer. It's ink based and does a really awesome job. My first store had it, but my last store did not. I forget what sizes it does.

Print-in-Seconds:
4x6 - 6850
5x7 - 6850 (Same printer as 4x6, but prints out on a 6x8 sheet with a white border)
8x10 - 8800

Kiosks will also usually have a Kodak Flat Scanner (some Epson generic type) and a Rapid Print Scanner.

I love helping people in Photo, and if people want help on the kiosks i'm always glad to help. When Photo is busy (usually is), I usually don't have the time to even go over to service desk, I just focus on helping my guests and fulfilling their orders.

We don't have the kiosks in the picture though... We just have the Kodak PC's, and on the other side of the counter there are Kodak 6000 series (i think?) Instant Printers hooked up to them, as well as an 8x10 printer. And yeah... Our one hour is down now... The monitor won't turn on anymore, so we can't see what we're doing! :(

So who's watching the service desk while you spend 15 minutes flipping through 3 years of photos on someone's memory card? My guess is you have another person at the service desk. We don't.

Yeah...here's our issue: one person at service desk, (no photo person), and the GSTL. Then someone wants 15 minutes of your time. So...who's watching the lanes or covering service desk while we hold the guest's hand? With no wet lab, the couple of hours that go to photo anymore are for extending service desk coverage in the morning....no dedicated photo person ever at our store.

I usually try to pawn them off on the GSTL because they have more experience and usually have more time than me running back and forth to assist people and answer the phone.

Last edited:
Ahh photo Lab how I will miss you. We have about 20 days of fully functioning wet lab left. Soon there will be no more film developing, no more gigantic printer (whose model # is not coming to me right now, it's a noritsu minilab...) and it will all be silly instant printers and the hopeless duplex. I hope we get some sort of fancier instant printers than the ones we have now (6600, 8100). They are absolutely slow as hell and don't know how to go easy on the reds and yellows, they print GCs on 8x10 paper (2 cards a sheet, with no spacing in between whatsoever..) and "5x7" are actually 6x7 with a half inch of white border on each side.

Do dry labs have Photo TM? At our store we have an opener and a closer. There is always a Photo TM there. I'm worried I might have to go and do actual work if the photo TM position disappears! :mda:

I really do enjoy helping people at photo right now, especially when they are willing to try and learn as you point things out to them, but am worried that if it becomes a joint workcenter (photo/guest service) I wont be able to dedicate the time to explain the ins and outs of the kiosks... Simple questions will be fine ("Which hole do I put this one in?) but I won't have time to go through orders with guests have a million questions, and then I will be blamed later when they aren't happy with what they themselves did.

How do you guys that have already switched over manage orders that come in? Can you still do editing to all the orders that come in online? Is there still a "DLS Lab" computer where you can monitor/preview orders or does that go away with the Minilab? Do you just package whatever comes out of the XXXX printers?

I am both excited to see some new toys come in ( we've been sent print kits (paper/ribbon) for 8800, 7100 printers) and sad to see the equipment that I have come to love be taken away.
Also know plenty of guests who will be plenty POed that we wont be doing film anymore. Apparently we are one of the few reasonably priced places left to develop film, oh well...

...You can also go into "Order Setup" and set "Network Orders" to manual release. This will let make you manually release all network orders before they start printing - helpful if you have a backlog of in-store orders you want to print first... Let me know if you have any questions!

How did you solve the problem where the computer "forgets" how to print any labels for any orders that came in during your off hours? Mine is doing exactly that. Anything that comes in after I leave and before the computer does a self reboot, it will not print a single label for those orders. Anything after its midnight reboot works fine.

Also, some "unofficial" stuff for you to play with:

4 x 6 Greeting Cards (some of us could have used this a month ago): It's under one the Settings menus. Does exactly what it says, creates said size greeting card, sends it to the 4 x 6 printer. I had to use this when our supplier goofed and couldn't send us 8810 printer kits fast enough. Zebra labels should print with the 44 cent price, but uses the All-Nine DPCI.

6 x 8 Prints / One-Sheet Calendars / Collages: Prints through the 7000 (even 6800) printer. That's the size of each color on the thermal ribbon. (2x 4 x 6 prints). We could also do greeting cards but we don't get envelopes big enough. No price, and products use 999 DPCI.

I'm curious to see if I can re-enable 8 x 12 prints with the longer 8810 printer kits.

Under another setting (its my day off today, I'll get the paths later on), you can enable it to ask the guest if they want the old-timey white borders. It will prompt before media selection. I used to be able to do this on the wet lab's computer, but the APEX doesn't let me fiddle with orders unless I have it set to Preview mode.

Some things you might want to invest in for your lab (wet or dry).

1) Apple iDevice cable for 4S (and similar connectors). Guests don't usually have their cable, and the one I got paid for itself twice in the first week after I requisitioned it with guests that came in and asked "Can I get pictures from my iPhone?". I had one guest use his iPad and it worked too. Consider getting the adapter for iDevices with the new Lightning connector.

2) Spindle of blank CDs. For the guests that didn't finalize their CD-RW or "It worked correctly at home!" CDs, or just if your kiosk isn't playing nice with their media. I've saved a few orders this way that would have walked away. You could just as easily use a flash drive or a memory card, but I can give the CD to the guest to give them the peace of mind that I don't have their images to do dastardly evil corporate shenanigans with when they leave.

3) Micro SD card reader / Micro-to-Normal SD adapter. When Bluetooth just isn't going to cut it (like when they want to save all 1059 images from their phone).

4) 2 Stylus pens / pencils with rubber erasers. "The screen doesn't work!" *POKE SLAM*, or for when they can't grasp that the touch screen interface is nothing like the iPhone and continue to touch the screen too gingerly.

5) Highlighters. Nothing is more annoying than all internet order tickets printing as FIRST NAME; last name. Also for the occasion when you have 3 separate guests with the same last names (and sometimes firsts).

Last edited:
Do dry labs have Photo TM? At our store we have an opener and a closer. There is always a Photo TM there. I'm worried I might have to go and do actual work if the photo TM position disappears! :mda:

How do you guys that have already switched over manage orders that come in? Can you still do editing to all the orders that come in online? Is there still a "DLS Lab" computer where you can monitor/preview orders or does that go away with the Minilab? Do you just package whatever comes out of the XXXX printers?

It depends where your photo lab is located, and how your front-end scheduler uses those hours. In my old store, photo was in Elec/MMB, in a hole in the wall. After I transferred, that workcenter is now used for guest service/cart attendant hours, and the GSTL/elec team takes care of photo. Total mess.

My new store, photo was located directly across from the checklanes on the softlines floor pad. It was used as a "GSTL" boat, but had photo coverage daily. When the one photo TM was off, it was used as a mid GSTL/GSA.

You still get a DLS - the APEX machine. The only control you have over network orders is the ability to queue them up and print at your own will. You can't edit them before printing, AFAIK. There's an option to "Preview" orders before they print, and make edits to them, but that was only available for Kiosk orders. Totally would not recommend turning that option on, because you'd have to "approve" EVERY order that is printed

How did you solve the problem where the computer "forgets" how to print any labels for any orders that came in during your off hours? Mine is doing exactly that. Anything that comes in after I leave and before the computer does a self reboot, it will not print a single label for those orders. Anything after its midnight reboot works fine.

Also, some "unofficial" stuff for you to play with:

4 x 6 Greeting Cards (some of us could have used this a month ago): It's under one the Settings menus. Does exactly what it says, creates said size greeting card, sends it to the 4 x 6 printer. I had to use this when our supplier goofed and couldn't send us 8810 printer kits fast enough. Zebra labels should print with the 44 cent price, but uses the All-Nine DPCI.

6 x 8 Prints / One-Sheet Calendars / Collages: Prints through the 7000 (even 6800) printer. That's the size of each color on the thermal ribbon. (2x 4 x 6 prints). We could also do greeting cards but we don't get envelopes big enough. No price, and products use 999 DPCI.

I'm curious to see if I can re-enable 8 x 12 prints with the longer 8810 printer kits.

Under another setting (its my day off today, I'll get the paths later on), you can enable it to ask the guest if they want the old-timey white borders. It will prompt before media selection. I used to be able to do this on the wet lab's computer, but the APEX doesn't let me fiddle with orders unless I have it set to Preview mode.

Some things you might want to invest in for your lab (wet or dry).

1) Apple iDevice cable for 4S (and similar connectors). Guests don't usually have their cable, and the one I got paid for itself twice in the first week after I requisitioned it with guests that came in and asked "Can I get pictures from my iPhone?". I had one guest use his iPad and it worked too. Consider getting the adapter for iDevices with the new Lightning connector.

2) Spindle of blank CDs. For the guests that didn't finalize their CD-RW or "It worked correctly at home!" CDs, or just if your kiosk isn't playing nice with their media. I've saved a few orders this way that would have walked away. You could just as easily use a flash drive or a memory card, but I can give the CD to the guest to give them the peace of mind that I don't have their images to do dastardly evil corporate shenanigans with when they leave.

3) Micro SD card reader / Micro-to-Normal SD adapter. When Bluetooth just isn't going to cut it (like when they want to save all 1059 images from their phone).

4) 2 Stylus pens / pencils with rubber erasers. "The screen doesn't work!" *POKE SLAM*, or for when they can't grasp that the touch screen interface is nothing like the iPhone and continue to touch the screen too gingerly.

5) Highlighters. Nothing is more annoying than all internet order tickets printing as FIRST NAME; last name. Also for the occasion when you have 3 separate guests with the same last names (and sometimes firsts).

There's an error with the PASC/EZprints interface where it doesn't send the XML data for the order through to the APEX. The name and phone number will appear in the APEX, but a label won't print. If you click the "i" button next to the order, you'll see under "Order Summary" absolutely nothing. When an order is made (one hour, most network) it'll create an XML file with how many of each print, the UPC attached to the item, and then the APEX will print a Tracking Label based on the order/xml info. EZPrints is aware of the issue, but since the issue first started happening about a year and a half ago, they haven't fixed it. Very frustrating!

4x6 greeting cards - my little secret! It's the ultimate holiday backup plan, with the exception that Kodak doesn't supply the "updated" templates for the 4x6 size. They only have generic, ****ty templates available. We run out of the 4x8 GCs every year. We end up scanning as a 4x8 GC, putting in the quantity, and then doing a price change (either damage or ad sub) to .35/.30/.25 cents based on the same scale 4x6 prints are priced. Doesn't count towards shortage (999 dpci), still making a profit and the guest is happy.

6x8 prints/annual calendars/collages - I'd suggest you check out Workbench. Under Photo, there should be a link for scan sheets. I believe there is actually a UPC for Annual Thermal Calendars, which will let you avoid doing 999s.

Hehe, I wanted to try 8x12 prints with the new kits, but I never got a chance before I left. Let me know how it works!

Adapters are the most important thing to have! There's like a 5-in-1 USB adapter in electronics. It supports microSD, too. Definitely worth getting at least one of them, two original iPhone cords and two new thunderbolt cords.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back