MEGATHREAD The On-Demand Team Member (ODTM) Thread

Anyone know if you can get hired on as a DEMAND TEAM MEMBER? I'm looking to just make extra money with the holidays but don't want to commit to every week schedule with my new job.

This benefit is becoming more popular and I wanted to get a single point to discuss and answer questions about the position.

Here's the skinny.

An On-Demand Team Member (will appear on the grid as "ODTM") is a Team Member who is no longer regularly scheduled and instead accepts a "stand-by" or "on-call" sort of position. The following attributes will happen for ODTMs.
  • The ODTM will not be put on the schedule automatically — the ETL or TL will not schedule the ODTM like they do other Team Members.
  • ODTMs must select a secondary work center in addition to their primary work center, from which they will be able to view open shifts (ODTMs can only "officially" pick up shifts from these two work centers, but they can arrange to come in for any work center shift by talking to their Leadership).
  • A new app called "myTime", which will replace UKG Workforce ("Kronos"), will show open shifts from the two work centers, which the ODTM can pick up.
  • ODTMs can also cover shifts for other Team Members, reach out to Leadership for available hours, or accept offers when the store calls for help.

A few "catches" or "terms and conditions" that come along with this:
  • The ODTM must work at least a continuous 4-hour shift every 6 months* to remain employed (e.g. working two 3-hour shifts in one 6-month* period will not meet this requirement — it must be a continuous 4 hours clocked in).
  • ODTMs who do not work the required 4-hours every 6 months* may automatically be terminated.
  • ODTMs who pick up shifts via any method (accepting them in myTime, agreeing to cover a shift, accepting an offer to come in) which will cause them to be placed on the schedule for that shift, will be held accountable to that shift — tardiness, absence, or leaving early to/from these shifts may result in the typical disciplinary action for attendance, up to and including termination.
* = as of July 2021, the minimum work requirement window was extended from one 4-hour shift every 6 weeks to every 6 months to accommodate the elimination of the Educational Leave of Absence (ELOA), as college students will be encouraged to adopt this role and many attend school far from their home store, making working every 6 weeks impossible.

As far as benefits are concerned:
  • ODTMs will keep their Team Member Discount as long as they continue to be actively employed by Target.
  • Employment benefits, including health benefits, Team Member Life Resources, 401K, and others will be kept from the time they go from regular Team Member to ODTM, and will be assessed for health benefits after 12 months based on hours worked as an ODTM.
  • ODTMs will no longer accrue vacation pay (but may use any accrued hours until balance reaches zero).
  • ODTMs will no longer be eligible for personal or educational leaves of absence.
  • ODTMs will not receive a yearly review (and presumably, no yearly raise).
Special considerations for certain jurisdictions:
  • Stores in Philadelphia, PA; San Francisco, CA; and Seattle, WA will not participate in the ODTM program due to local laws regarding scheduling.
  • Oregon stores must schedule ODTMs at least one shift per month to comply with the Oregon Predictive Scheduling Bill, and can pick up shifts voluntarily. Additionally, Oregon ODTMs must elect to be (a) on or (b) not on a "voluntary standby list" — stores cannot reach out with shift offers, via email, phone, or text, to ODTMs who opted not to be on the voluntary standby list.
Is there a limit to who can be on demand?

Is there a limit to who can be on demand?
Limit?

The guide on eHR says stores cannot have more than 10% of their total number of Team Members as On Demand.

So for an average sized store of 350 distinct non-exempt Team Members (all hourly Team Members and Team Leaders - excludes ETLs and above, whom are salaried/exempt), only 35 can be On Demand. To add a 36th, the store needs to hire one more.

Who can be? Anyone who's been there at least 91 days, is not currently considered Seasonal, is in good standing (one who is not on any disciplinary levels or plans, including a Performance Improvement Plan [PIP] or a Confidential Corrective Action [CCA], or on a final warning), and is attached to one of three eligible work centers:
  • Service & Engagement
  • Fulfillment
  • General Merchandise
If you're not in one of these work centers, you need to move into them as the job codes for On Demand Team Members only support these three job categories.
You cannot, for example, be an On Demand Starbucks barista or an On Demand Beauty consultant. At least not officially.

Last edited:
I’ve known several folks who are/were on-call at their jobs and their biggest complaint was that when they were up and around at some reasonable hour with their uniform ironed and hanging at the ready the phone wouldn’t ring. But if they were in bed with a fever of 104 and the house was shaking with a severe thunderstorm the phone would ring promptly at fuck-off o’clock for a work order 50 miles away

It had been going so well.

On demand seemed to have been working out for me, but today I’m not sure it is going to last. This morning when I looked at myTime, I saw I was scheduled both Sunday and Saturday 8.5 hours both days on the 11/7-11/13 schedule. One of those days I can actually do, so that’s not a problem. The other one I can’t work as late as they have me scheduled (would need to leave 1.5 hours earlier).

I thought the whole point of ODTM was they wouldn’t automatically schedule you. It was presented to me as I could pick up shifts when available or talk to leaders and let them know when I was available. One of my biggest reasons for going od was that I need a break during the week, even just not working a full 8.5 hour shift had been great. (I was doing 5 hours when I went in) I’m really concerned that this is going to be the norm going forward. I obviously plan to go in and talk to someone, I was just pretty pissed when I got up this morning and saw that I had been scheduled.

It had been going so well.

On demand seemed to have been working out for me, but today I’m not sure it is going to last. This morning when I looked at myTime, I saw I was scheduled both Sunday and Saturday 8.5 hours both days on the 11/7-11/13 schedule. One of those days I can actually do, so that’s not a problem. The other one I can’t work as late as they have me scheduled (would need to leave 1.5 hours earlier).

I thought the whole point of ODTM was they wouldn’t automatically schedule you. It was presented to me as I could pick up shifts when available or talk to leaders and let them know when I was available. One of my biggest reasons for going od was that I need a break during the week, even just not working a full 8.5 hour shift had been great. (I was doing 5 hours when I went in) I’m really concerned that this is going to be the norm going forward. I obviously plan to go in and talk to someone, I was just pretty pissed when I got up this morning and saw that I had been scheduled.
Yes, that is what it is supposed to be. Call and tell them that they aren't supposed to schedule you without asking you first. You should have signed a document in workday. I think it spells that out.

Yes, that is what it is supposed to be. Call and tell them that they aren't supposed to schedule you without asking you first. You should have signed a document in workday. I think it spells that out.
I tried going in to workday to double check the document I signed back when I first went on demand. It first said not available on mobile but when I went on my laptop it said action no longer available. Is there any other way I can access that information?

It can autoput you on the schedule and then they are supposed to remove it they probably just missed it. Call the store they can fix it for you. If you want to work great if not then theyll take you off

I tried going in to workday to double check the document I signed back when I first went on demand. It first said not available on mobile but when I went on my laptop it said action no longer available. Is there any other way I can access that information?
Try going to your profile. Click job, then go to worker history. It should be there I think.

Try going to your profile. Click job, then go to worker history. It should be there I think.
Thanks. I tried that too. I tried clicking on each blue link that has on demand fulfillment expert on it, but nothing happened. It’s fine. I plan to go in tomorrow to see if I can work a few hours, so I will talk to someone then.

Thanks again for the help

Thanks. I tried that too. I tried clicking on each blue link that has on demand fulfillment expert on it, but nothing happened. It’s fine. I plan to go in tomorrow to see if I can work a few hours, so I will talk to someone then.

Thanks again for the help
Here's the addendum you signed.

Second sentence under Scheduling : "... Target agrees not to schedule you for a shift unless you agree to work that specific shift."
93F709AA-293D-4C1A-8041-AE35ED623DB7.jpeg

Back