MEGATHREAD The On-Demand Team Member (ODTM) Thread

So my ETL told me today that he put me on the schedule and if I could work the shifts, great, if not, no big deal. He said he put me on because he had a ton of hours to use for the week. I have no idea if he plans to do it every week. I told him I would do the Saturday one as scheduled, but needed to leave by 12:30 on the Sunday one. We will see if this becomes a regular occurrence.

So my ETL told me today that he put me on the schedule and if I could work the shifts, great, if not, no big deal. He said he put me on because he had a ton of hours to use for the week. I have no idea if he plans to do it every week. I told him I would do the Saturday one as scheduled, but needed to leave by 12:30 on the Sunday one. We will see if this becomes a regular occurrence.
I don't know that I would trust the ETL to this. Only reason being if you don't clock in on a day that is on your schedule, the attendance report will mark it as an absence.
And unless you really hold the ETL to their word and they'd be 159.99% honest if it ever came down to a performance conversation, you are banking on their word vs. yours.

Let's say your ETL leaves the position for whatever reason. New ETL comes in. They look at your previous attendance record. "Oh boy why is TM 7XXXXXXX on this report 29 times? Better CCA them!"

If it was me, I'd have the ETL remove the hours.

Also, if the ETL is saying they have hours to burn, then they need to just post the shift as open. It takes the hours away from the "pool" if they're assigned to you. So that makes no sense.

I don't know that I would trust the ETL to this. Only reason being if you don't clock in on a day that is on your schedule, the attendance report will mark it as an absence.
And unless you really hold the ETL to their word and they'd be 159.99% honest if it ever came down to a performance conversation, you are banking on their word vs. yours.

Let's say your ETL leaves the position for whatever reason. New ETL comes in. They look at your previous attendance record. "Oh boy why is TM 7XXXXXXX on this report 29 times? Better CCA them!"

If it was me, I'd have the ETL remove the hours.

Also, if the ETL is saying they have hours to burn, then they need to just post the shift as open. It takes the hours away from the "pool" if they're assigned to you. So that makes no sense.
You’re absolutely right.

I was actually thinking about that very situation-new ETL coming in, looking at a report and thinking I’m an attendance issue. If it happens again I am going to talk to them about that and to HR as well. My attendance has been almost perfect in my 3.5 years with Target, only calling out once the day after my 2nd Covid shot. I would hate for my name to be on the attendance report for something that it shouldn’t be.

I’m on personal LOA and I’m back on the schedule already but I have finals for school the week I come back. It’s 10 days away. Do you think that’s enough time to become and On Demand TM? I really can’t work that week and I’m wondering if my HR will understand

I’m on personal LOA and I’m back on the schedule already but I have finals for school the week I come back. It’s 10 days away. Do you think that’s enough time to become and On Demand TM? I really can’t work that week and I’m wondering if my HR will understand
ask your etl now

I have been an ODTM since 10/25/21. I am constantly being put on the schedule despite going into the store and talking with my TL’s and HR EVERY SINGLE TIME they schedule me. They tell me they don’t know why I’m getting scheduled. Apparently I was scheduled to work today (and several days this week) and my TL called me this morning wanting to know why I didn’t come in. She told me I need to call in the rest of the week and I need to be checking myTime to see if I’m on the schedule every week. I shouldn’t be on the schedule unless I put myself on it, period. I’m not checking the schedule, because I shouldn’t have to. This is so annoying and is stressing me out to the point I want to quit. I am a stay at home Mom and I don’t need to work. Why do they keep scheduling me and how can I get it to stop other than quitting? I don’t want to quit because I do like the social interactions and my fellow team members.

I have been an ODTM since 10/25/21. I am constantly being put on the schedule despite going into the store and talking with my TL’s and HR EVERY SINGLE TIME they schedule me. They tell me they don’t know why I’m getting scheduled. Apparently I was scheduled to work today (and several days this week) and my TL called me this morning wanting to know why I didn’t come in. She told me I need to call in the rest of the week and I need to be checking myTime to see if I’m on the schedule every week. I shouldn’t be on the schedule unless I put myself on it, period. I’m not checking the schedule, because I shouldn’t have to. This is so annoying and is stressing me out to the point I want to quit. I am a stay at home Mom and I don’t need to work. Why do they keep scheduling me and how can I get it to stop other than quitting? I don’t want to quit because I do like the social interactions and my fellow team members.
You were on loa. Please talk to your hr.

If I pick up a shift on my time when I’m not already scheduled and I decide to retract it, am I still responsible for calling off?

I was a seasonal team member, and yesterday my 120 days were up. I am in guest services, and my team lead said that they would no longe keep me. Though the team lead for specialty sales wants to keep me on demand. Is there a way this could turn into a permanent normal team member job?

Just looking for definite confirmation. I am on demand. I last worked 4 weeks ago. Do I have 6 months to work again, or 2 weeks to make the 6 week limit. If it matters I’m a student but was not on educational LOA when I went to on demand.

Just looking for definite confirmation. I am on demand. I last worked 4 weeks ago. Do I have 6 months to work again, or 2 weeks to make the 6 week limit. If it matters I’m a student but was not on educational LOA when I went to on demand.
One shift every 6 months but just let your ETL HR know so they’re aware you’ll be gone for a bit

This benefit is becoming more popular and I wanted to get a single point to discuss and answer questions about the position.

Here's the skinny.

An On-Demand Team Member (will appear on the grid as "ODTM") is a Team Member who is no longer regularly scheduled and instead accepts a "stand-by" or "on-call" sort of position. The following attributes will happen for ODTMs.
  • The ODTM will not be put on the schedule automatically — the ETL or TL will not schedule the ODTM like they do other Team Members.
  • ODTMs must select a secondary work center in addition to their primary work center, from which they will be able to view open shifts (ODTMs can only "officially" pick up shifts from these two work centers, but they can arrange to come in for any work center shift by talking to their Leadership).
  • A new app called "myTime", which will replace UKG Workforce ("Kronos"), will show open shifts from the two work centers, which the ODTM can pick up.
  • ODTMs can also cover shifts for other Team Members, reach out to Leadership for available hours, or accept offers when the store calls for help.

A few "catches" or "terms and conditions" that come along with this:
  • The ODTM must work at least a continuous 4-hour shift every 6 months* to remain employed (e.g. working two 3-hour shifts in one 6-month* period will not meet this requirement — it must be a continuous 4 hours clocked in).
  • ODTMs who do not work the required 4-hours every 6 months* may automatically be terminated.
  • ODTMs who pick up shifts via any method (accepting them in myTime, agreeing to cover a shift, accepting an offer to come in) which will cause them to be placed on the schedule for that shift, will be held accountable to that shift — tardiness, absence, or leaving early to/from these shifts may result in the typical disciplinary action for attendance, up to and including termination.
* = as of July 2021, the minimum work requirement window was extended from one 4-hour shift every 6 weeks to every 6 months to accommodate the elimination of the Educational Leave of Absence (ELOA), as college students will be encouraged to adopt this role and many attend school far from their home store, making working every 6 weeks impossible.

As far as benefits are concerned:
  • ODTMs will keep their Team Member Discount as long as they continue to be actively employed by Target.
  • Employment benefits, including health benefits, Team Member Life Resources, 401K, and others will be kept from the time they go from regular Team Member to ODTM, and will be assessed for health benefits after 12 months based on hours worked as an ODTM.
  • ODTMs will no longer accrue vacation pay (but may use any accrued hours until balance reaches zero).
  • ODTMs will no longer be eligible for personal or educational leaves of absence.
  • ODTMs will not receive a yearly review (and presumably, no yearly raise).
Special considerations for certain jurisdictions:
  • Stores in Philadelphia, PA; San Francisco, CA; and Seattle, WA will not participate in the ODTM program due to local laws regarding scheduling.
  • Oregon stores must schedule ODTMs at least one shift per month to comply with the Oregon Predictive Scheduling Bill, and can pick up shifts voluntarily. Additionally, Oregon ODTMs must elect to be (a) on or (b) not on a "voluntary standby list" — stores cannot reach out with shift offers, via email, phone, or text, to ODTMs who opted not to be on the voluntary standby list.
Can a store director change the minimum work requirement less than 6 weeks if not related to school for ODTM?

Can a store director change the minimum work requirement less than 6 weeks if not related to school for ODTM?
Nope.
The rules for this position are set by Corporate and there’s no “but your store has discretion” clause on these requirements.

That doesn’t mean they won’t try to finagle and haggle. Show them the guide.

Back