Specialty The Person at AT&T Told Me...

lokinix

Tech After Dark
So... I was in Tech the other day. It is that time of year where we only have one person in Tech at a time, because of the lack of hours.

It is also the time of year when people are getting their tax refunds, so... We can get *busy*.

Yesterday when in Tech - I was helping a few people and my myDevice was ringing off the hook, but I couldn't answer it, I was helping someone. I constantly had our HR clerk and Guest Services calling me over the radio to take call.
I finally get a moment and I answered the call... and man, do I wish I didn't.

I had someone calling for what they called a WiFi Booster. I got an idea of what they meant, but I tried to tell him that we have a WiFi extender, but he went on and on that the person at AT&T told me Target, Walmart, BestBuy would have a WiFi Booster that I could use to be able to get the signal from downstairs to the upstairs. Which, a WiFi extender can do, but if the room they are trying to get it in, is right above, then a WiFi extender wouldn't work...

When I tried to tell him that, they on one hand blew up saying that the person at AT&T told them we had it, and that a 15 year old could set it up, on the other hand they were saying they didn't understand what I was saying and that what he was told to get would plug into the wall and into the router.

Which, do exist, but my Target does not. He went on for 20 minutes going in a circle and raising their voice saying that the person at AT&T seemed pretty knowledgeable and why am I working in Tech, if I don't know what I am talking about.
Funny thing is, I have academic training in Network Systems Administration - but I work in a different field for my primary job and work in Tech as a PT gig. I tried to tell them I know what he is talking about and that Target does not sell it. They then blew up when he heard me trying to help someone else at the same time, and calling for backup, and basically implied I was useless and he would never shop at Target again, and said he was calling BestBuy.
Joy...

Also... i once got yelled at for 2 hours with a half hour lunch break in the middle about how we didn't have virgin mobile cards and the fred meyers employee said we had them.

This man child made himself 2 hours+ late for work cause he couldn't accept "no sir, i do not sell virgin mobile and never have the fred meyers employee was wrong" as an answer

We bounced him after he took his mask off and started using mobile desk phone for a hour.

Also... i once got yelled at for 2 hours with a half hour lunch break in the middle about how we didn't have virgin mobile cards and the fred meyers employee said we had them.

This man child made himself 2 hours+ late for work cause he couldn't accept "no sir, i do not sell virgin mobile and never have the fred meyers employee was wrong" as an answer

We bounced him after he took his mask off and started using mobile desk phone for a hour.
He didn't like the fact I was "I am not sure what the person from AT&T told you, I am very familiar with this technology and we don't have it." He was then like "If you know so much, why are you telling me you don't have it when the person from AT&T said you do!"

So... I was in Tech the other day. It is that time of year where we only have one person in Tech at a time, because of the lack of hours.

It is also the time of year when people are getting their tax refunds, so... We can get *busy*.

Yesterday when in Tech - I was helping a few people and my myDevice was ringing off the hook, but I couldn't answer it, I was helping someone. I constantly had our HR clerk and Guest Services calling me over the radio to take call.
I finally get a moment and I answered the call... and man, do I wish I didn't.

I had someone calling for what they called a WiFi Booster. I got an idea of what they meant, but I tried to tell him that we have a WiFi extender, but he went on and on that the person at AT&T told me Target, Walmart, BestBuy would have a WiFi Booster that I could use to be able to get the signal from downstairs to the upstairs. Which, a WiFi extender can do, but if the room they are trying to get it in, is right above, then a WiFi extender wouldn't work...

When I tried to tell him that, they on one hand blew up saying that the person at AT&T told them we had it, and that a 15 year old could set it up, on the other hand they were saying they didn't understand what I was saying and that what he was told to get would plug into the wall and into the router.

Which, do exist, but my Target does not. He went on for 20 minutes going in a circle and raising their voice saying that the person at AT&T seemed pretty knowledgeable and why am I working in Tech, if I don't know what I am talking about.
Funny thing is, I have academic training in Network Systems Administration - but I work in a different field for my primary job and work in Tech as a PT gig. I tried to tell them I know what he is talking about and that Target does not sell it. They then blew up when he heard me trying to help someone else at the same time, and calling for backup, and basically implied I was useless and he would never shop at Target again, and said he was calling BestBuy.
Joy...
the wifi boosters are with the wifi routers. tp link, google, netgear are some of the brands we carry.

This reminds me of a time about 5 years ago that Best Buy down the street from the Target I worked at kept sending people over to us to get DSL Modems. I kept telling people we didn't carry them, they would demand to see what modems we did have and would ask me why would Best Buy say we have it if we didn't. I even had a few try to buy cable modems or routers convinced that they were DSL modems. Finally it got so bad and happened one too many times in a day that I had to get an ETL to call Best Buy and tell them to quit sending people to our store for something we didn't carry.

Thankfully it ended after that. I just don't understand why someone would trust someone that works at another store to know about Targets inventory.

I don't know what Target carries now, as I quit 2 years ago after 13 years and last I checked they did have some boosters as well as extenders.

the wifi boosters are with the wifi routers. tp link, google, netgear are some of the brands we carry.
Yes, my store doesn't carry them is what my point was. Sorry if that was not clear when saying as much above. I am more then familiar with what these devices are. As noted, I am a network administrator by training, I just work in nonprofit work now

This reminds me of a time about 5 years ago that Best Buy down the street from the Target I worked at kept sending people over to us to get DSL Modems. I kept telling people we didn't carry them, they would demand to see what modems we did have and would ask me why would Best Buy say we have it if we didn't. I even had a few try to buy cable modems or routers convinced that they were DSL modems. Finally it got so bad and happened one too many times in a day that I had to get an ETL to call Best Buy and tell them to quit sending people to our store for something we didn't carry.

Thankfully it ended after that. I just don't understand why someone would trust someone that works at another store to know about Targets inventory.

I don't know what Target carries now, as I quit 2 years ago after 13 years and last I checked they did have some boosters as well as extenders.
All we have are extenders and various types of routers and wireless access point systems.

Funny thing is, I have academic training in Network Systems Administration - but I work in a different field for my primary job and work in Tech as a PT gig
I find it so funny to me how people think that we don't know were talking about but literally, EVERYONE in electronics is a huge techy. I, an engineering student, with a Computer science student, a Business student (who is into computers), a Computer Science dropout, and an old best buy employee don't know what we're talking about.

On top of that it pisses me tf off when people get pissy with me when we don't have an item. Like lemme just pull it out of my ass right now my bad.

Last edited:
ETL to call Best Buy and tell them to quit sending people to our store for something we didn't carry.
omg once this lady came from another target across town because some new tech employee at the other target told her that we had 3 PS5s. I was SO angry me, a generic TM (not even DBO), called the store and talked to the tech TM and kinda got really upset with him and I feel bad now but I would probably do it again (but a little less bitchy from my end lmao)

"I'm calling from the xxx store, I have a guest here who said that they went to your store and one of your TMs told her that we have PS5s and even allowed the guest to take a picture of their myDevice showing we have it in stock, Just to make sure we still are not selling them in-store right?"
"as far as I know yes"
"Okay please make sure you tell your TMs there because now this guest is really upset and we have to deal with it"

She wasn't a Karen but she wasn't happy either. I printed her a gift card for her troubles but she didn't really even want to take it but I just gave it to her since I alr made lol.

I find it so funny to me how people think that we don't know were talking about but literally, EVERYONE in electronics is a huge techy. I, an engineering student, with a Computer science student, a Business student (who is into computers), a Computer Science dropout, and an old best buy employee don't know what we're talking about.

On top of that it pisses me tf off when people get pissy with me when we don't have an item. Like lemme just pull it out of my ass right now my bad.
For sure. Not everyone in my Tech department is super techy, but being someone trained in Network System Administration, I would hope my knowledge would mean something, LOL.
omg once this lady came from another target across town because some new tech employee at the other target told her that we had 3 PS5s. I was SO angry me, a generic TM (not even DBO), called the store and talked to the tech TM and kinda got really upset with him and I feel bad now but I would probably do it again (but a little less bitchy from my end lmao)

"I'm calling from the xxx store, I have a guest here who said that they went to your store and one of your TMs told her that we have PS5s and even allowed the guest to take a picture of their myDevice showing we have it in stock, Just to make sure we still are not selling them in-store right?"
"as far as I know yes"
"Okay please make sure you tell your TMs there because now this guest is really upset and we have to deal with it"

She wasn't a Karen but she wasn't happy either. I printed her a gift card for her troubles but she didn't really even want to take it but I just gave it to her since I alr made lol.
I had this happen too. I had our SD call their SD. It wasn't a good day for the other store.

I do not defend the blowing up.

But after having been told utter bullshit by two Best Buy workers, knowing it was total bullshit, calling them out on it and having them double down,, I can understand being skeptical. You don't have your degree on display for guests to see.

I can understand being skeptical. You don't have your degree on display for guests to see.
true but that doesn't give guests any kinda right to be rude and act like you don't know what you're talking about (especially when you do)
I had this happen too. I had our SD call their SD.
I do not defend the blowing up.
Once I said that I was pretty calm after and the guy felt bad too and basically just said "Look I don't want you to get in trouble for selling an item you shouldn't have sold." Long story short no one got in trouble and that TM prolly got talked to by another TM rather than a TL which I would rather have.

but being someone trained in Network System Administration, I would hope my knowledge would mean something, LOL.
Oh yeah haha. I've been meaning to get my certifications but they're so fkn expensive.

Once I said that I was pretty calm after and the guy felt bad too and basically just said "Look I don't want you to get in trouble for selling an item you shouldn't have sold." Long story short no one got in trouble and that TM prolly got talked to by another TM rather than a TL which I would rather have.

I thought you said the guest blew up.

When I say I had my SD call, it's because the guest asked for a manager and they are the one who responded. I didn't personally ask for it

When I say I had my SD call, it's because the guest asked for a manager and they are the one who responded. I didn't personally ask for it
Ohh i see lol. I got my lead (ironically the Specialty Sales ETL) and while she was dealing with it I went to the back and called. ( I think )

Yea , i got the job of having to deal with ps5 inquires and had someone pull the same deal with out photo evidence thankfully but yea

Yes, my store doesn't carry them is what my point was. Sorry if that was not clear when saying as much above. I am more then familiar with what these devices are. As noted, I am a network administrator by training, I just work in nonprofit work now

All we have are extenders and various types of routers and wireless access point systems.
I was making more of a point about the fact that they no longer carry it. Sorry if it came out differently.

No problem, some stores have different inventory, I carry things my counterpart 5 miles away does not. And we are even in the same district and the same RDC
We have that issue. The target 5 minutes from us has a different stock cause they still have a huge media department.

Back