Archived The "Vent about all the crazy shit that happened during your shift" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I'm a little miffed at myself. I was asking a guest if they were interested in a Red Card and....they actually was curious about it. I didn't know what to do, and because of my craptastic verbal communication skills when I'm tripped up thanks to superb lack of face-to-face social skills, I stumbled over the information like a derp. Probably was the reason why they declined. *cries*

Then a guy tried to pay for an order with both his food stamps and another card, but was persistent in using his food stamp card first. I had no idea how to deal with that, and the same GSA that got on me about the receipt wasn't too helpful with that. "It will pay for what it'll pay for" was all I got. Okay. Well, what do I enter, then, when it's asking me "how much on this card?" and only lets me enter an amount and there are a bunch of non-food stuffs on the order?
You don't have to do anything. They'll swipe their EBT/SNAP card and the computer will take off the amount to cover whatever food items the guest purchased. He will then use the payment card to pay for everything else.

Sorry your day was so bad that you were driven to that extreme. Hopefully HR will keep their promise.
I really hope so because I closed Monday, yesterday and tonight. My tank is below E. I'm not sure how this is going to go, especially since the front end manager that closes tonight is just very not good at managing at all.

I'm so irritated right now. Maybe it's from three days in a row but, why the hell are we so understaffed here? I finally get back in softlines and the front lanes are entirely too backed up. I wasted 15 minutes of my lunch in line. No one was responding for backup. I had to do all softlines reshop the first half of my shift, and will most likely spend the rest of my shift up front. I'm so cheesed off. No wonder they've been begging me to pick up cashier shifts.

Only 2 of us tonight in SL. We're a high vol Super. Kill me now!

Yup. I came back in from my break and started zoning. Went back to get reshop and took the phone from the operator while she took her break since there was no one else. While on the phone with a guest, our LOD comes over and asks if I could zone RTW. I asked where the TM in charge of that zone is and she says, "All we got is you." Well, then.

What I was expected to get done today:
CAFs, pull and push
Instocks, pull and push
Two audits, yesterday's and today's
The several dozen flex orders
Several guest requests
Backstock

All in about 6 hours

Can I vent? I'm venting.
I'm tired of seasonal TMs not showing up, regulars and seasonals calling out when most needed (like black Friday or Saturday on Thanksgiving week or any other day in 4th quarter), I'm tired of the GSA that currently put in her 2weeks notice and decided that her duties stopped there. Since then her performance went from freaking bad to horribad. She doesn't do chips in the front, doesn't call for help during code1s, doesn't give TMs in the front their lunches (bye-bye green meal compliance metrics),calls out because she's hungover and/or doesn't show up for work with any warning and leaves the front with no opener.
I need people to stop calling out for just ONE day so I can actually stop flip flopping everyone around in the schedule.
I need the STL to actually get a handle on logistics ETL and I need to be able to drink tequila at my desk until the end of the holidays.
Rant over

HA! Remember the crusty old lady TL that trained me and left the sink running and I had to clean it up? Well, it looks like she either got fired or suspended for a while. Last night, I trained closing the cafe with another girl who's been there a few years, after training closing the night before with the TL, and the girl was telling me to do all this stuff the TL hadn't taught me----like spraying the drains with the chemical stuff to clean them and actually degreasing the popcorn kettle when breaking it down. Apparently the TL had been written up for not degreasing the kettle before, and I think that's what did it-----the girl mentioned it to the LOD that was checking off on our closing. So I come in tonight for my final closing-training shift, and there's some cashier dude running the cafe instead of the TL like I expected. He's like "okay, you know how to do this, right? Cool, see ya!" A few minutes later, the LOD comes over and says "Ms SoAndSo won't be here this week, can you cover all of her shifts?" I said totally, no problem, and now I've got 42.5 scheduled hours next week, lol! I was stressing about not having nearly enough hours.....guess that's not a problem now! Working every single day next week! :D

You don't have to do anything. They'll swipe their EBT/SNAP card and the computer will take off the amount to cover whatever food items the guest purchased. He will then use the payment card to pay for everything else.

OP's card reader was broken. You can't do EBT/SNAP or debit without a working card reader.

Does anyone else's store feel like it's going to BLOW up?? The last 3 days we have been SO busy, guests, phone calls, Indymes and of course back up calls to the front lanes! We have hired SO many seasonal people (and we're STILL hiring) HOW can we always be SO short handed?? It won't be long before the seasonals just get fed up and stop coming in. It seems like everyone I talked to is stressed out and FED up. The best part is that it's just early December. I just keep thinking what it's going to be like closer to Christmas when guests start getting desperate to find gifts (and some of them testy/nasty) when we don't have what they want. It's going to be a shit show for sure!

Does anyone else's store feel like it's going to BLOW up??

I'm not sure about "it", but after today, I think I might be heading for a major meltdown. Phone calls were all sent to the fitting room today. They were coming in at the rate of every two minutes. Luckily, there were not a lot of guests trying on clothes or I wouldn't have been able to balance everything. I don't know if this is a national trend or just local, but that stupid game - Pie Face - is in such high demand that I can count on receiving double digit calls checking whether we have it within the first couple of hours that the store is open. We've been getting in a few on every truck, but they're often gone within the first 30 minutes after the store has opened. I finally got to see a package because I had no idea what it was all about. Talk about a ridiculous toy. Kid puts face through frame and fills spring action hand with whipped cream. Eventually spring releases the toy hand and the whip cream gets tossed into kid's face. I can't wait until one of those hands hits a kid in the eye. If you've never seen it, watch this: 'Pie Face' Is The Game You Need To Play This Holiday Season Guests are starting to get evil because they're frustrated chasing it from store to store.

The highlight of the day, however, happened right before lunch. A guest calls and wants to be connected with our "concession stand". I explain to her that they really don't have a phone plus they are very busy (the front end was absolutely mobbed). I offer to see if I can help. The lady wants pasta for lunch. My first inclination is to tell her to go pick up something frozen that she can microwave, but no...she wants the Pizza Hut pasta. As far as I know we always have it. But she tells me that is not true and that's why she is calling. She has come to our store before expecting pasta for lunch and was devastated when there wasn't any. So now, she checks before she makes the trip. (I still can't understand why she couldn't buy microwaveable pasta as a backup plan). Anyway, I tell her that Starbucks might be able to go check but there's a strong possibility they won't be able to pick up the phone because of all the guests. She insists I try anyway. Of course, the phone rings back to me at which point I explain to the picky pasta person that there is just no way of knowing and given how busy the store is, I don't know how to get anybody to go check. I apologize. I can sense she's a little bit aggravated but she hangs up. No less than one minute later, I get a phone call from a different lady, same caller ID (business), asking me about the pasta. Again, she wants pasta for lunch but doesn't want to come over unless she knows we have it. She wants to talk to Starbucks. I explain, again, that nobody will probably pick up the phone, but I'm game. Hey - what do I have to lose? Of course, the phone rings back, I apologize to the guest and tell her short of me going up and checking, myself, there's not going to be an easy way of finding out. I add that I cannot leave what I am doing and I apologize, again. She's beyond aggravated, and hangs up. Again, one minute passes and I get another phone call inquiring about....you guessed it...PASTA! (Different caller ID this time - camouflage call?) Only this time, this guest is downright confrontational. She wants her pasta and she wants to know if we have it and she isn't going to play any games like coming over to find out we don't have it. She wants an answer. She demands to speak with Guest Services. Again, I explain that they are extremely busy up front and let her know that is why I keep answering the phones even though I'm in the back. There is just nobody free to take the call. At that point, she gets very quiet, time stands still, you can feel the tension and she loses control and demands to speak with my manager. I'm thinking, is she for real? We're talking Pizza Hut pasta. But I figure the LOD would not want to have to take this call so I tell the guest I will try to find out. Then I walkie the LOD. I explain that I've taken three calls now inquiring about whether we have paste. She gets very, very quiet. I'm thinking that maybe calling her on the walkie was not the best idea. In any case, she starts asking for help in getting the guest an answer. Of course, nobody can be bothered to go over and find out because there are too many guests at the front lane! Guest Services has 10 of them backed up and has three TMs working, Starbucks has a line, every single cashier has a line, the GSA is on her lunch, and the person covering the lanes doesn't want to step away because there are so many guests and most of the cashiers are new seasonal folks. Eventually, somebody does get over and check into the pasta situation and calls the LOD back. It seems that we only have the pasta with the white sauce (Alfredo, I believe). I pick up the phone and tell the guest that's the deal. She says "that's fine. I just didn't want to come over unless you had something." I had already gotten that message by now. I figured the three had decided that if they badgered me enough, they'd get an answer. It worked, although the LOD was not happy with me. She mumbled something about having too many other things to worry about. I probably should have just told the first guest that called that we didn't have any pasta today and that would have been the end of it. But I get sucked into that vibe mentality sometimes when it isn't the best use of my time nor will it have much payoff for the store.

Anyway...that was a long story so I'll pass on the others. But that's just one of many strange experiences I had with guests on the phone. I am home and if my phone rings tonight, I absolutely refuse to pick it up. If anybody dares push my buttons right now, I will blow up!

I'm fairly sure Flow team did nothing but stand around today.

I come in to the main stock-room stuffed with backstock, pallets on the back of the line filled with backstock, and the line filled with random crap. Like, 3 carts of shoes.
Not to mention everyone left as I arrived.

There's also a truck tomorrow.

I did what I could, but I left several flats/pallets of backstock, and the line didn't even get touched. They're going to have a ton of fun tomorrow.

Our overnight crew keeps fucking up. This is the third day in a row that they have pushed those Big Hero 6 Tsun-Tsun's into Toys, and they're streetdated for the 13th I believe. Same thing with two other toys, but I forget with ones.

Our overnight crew keeps fucking up. This is the third day in a row that they have pushed those Big Hero 6 Tsun-Tsun's into Toys, and they're streetdated for the 13th I believe. Same thing with two other toys, but I forget with ones.
We used to have that problem with those fisher price blaze jet truck... things, for the longest time. Would have to pull them from the shelf at least 3 times a week

Remind me to keep an eye out for those though

Everyone at our store who finds those just tosses it into the GSTL's office (she is not a fan of us doing that).

Everyone at our store who finds those just tosses it into the GSTL's office (she is not a fan of us doing that).

You should be throwing them into the flow TL/ETL office.. It sort of helps them get the message when they can't actually use their office for all the mis-pushed street date. We did a videogame shipper one time. Message delivered.

Anyway...that was a long story so I'll pass on the others. But that's just one of many strange experiences I had with guests on the phone. I am home and if my phone rings tonight, I absolutely refuse to pick it up. If anybody dares push my buttons right now, I will blow up!

Thursday I answered a call from a guest asking to speak to someone in our automotive department. I ask her what she is looking for and she says that she needs a head lamp for a 1994 ASTRO VAN!! She says that the guy at the auto parts store told her that we have an automotive department and might carry them. I told her that we didn't and she said "are you sure?", I told her yes, that our "automotive" department consisted of oil, anti-freeze and auto air fresheners and that we didn't carry ANY auto parts. Where do these people come from & where do they normally shop?? Why in the world would you expect a general merchandise store (like Target) to have auto parts for a 20+ year old vehicle that the auto part store doesn't even have??!!

Last edited:
Headlights are universal depending on if it's a sealed bean or plug in bulb. My 25y/o Cherokee was always in stock at the parts house. Now my car is a bulb which has been common use in a bunch of cars for 20+ years. So not as crazy a thought as you might think.

Thursday I answered a call from a guest asking to speak to someone in our automotive department. I ask her what she is looking for and she says that she needs a head lamp for a 1994 ASTRO VAN!! She says that the guy at the auto parts store told her that we have an automotive department and might carry them. I told her that we didn't and she said "are you sure?", I told her yes, that our "automotive" department consisted of oil, anti-freeze and auto air fresheners and that we didn't carry ANY auto parts. Where do these people come from & where do they normally shop?? Why in the world would you expect a general merchandise store (like Target) to have auto parts for a 20+ year old vehicle that the auto part store doesn't even have??!!
Walmart probably has it, and my local Walmart even has a full automotive department and service center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back