Archived Time off - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to skip the story and save you guys some reading. But, I am wondering whats the likelihood of being terminated for taking a week off short notice before your 90 days for something like a death or visiting a sick relative ? All input is appreciated ~

Thanks c:

Last edited:
Before your 90 makes it difficult to answer.
It depends on how well liked you are, how well you were doing at the job, and how well you sell the family emergency.
Going strictly by the book you wouldn't have much chance of being kept on but stuff happens and bosses are people.

I'm a very hard worker and havent called in/havent had any problems. Do the beareavement policies apply to team members under 90 days, I don't care if its unpaid, but it is such short notice and I'd opt out of going if it was going to cost me my job D:

Since you'd opt out of going if it'd cost you your job, I assume it's nothing like a family death or sick relative (most people would just say fuck the job, or could easily get off for something that serious.), in which case, it probably isn't worth risking your job for (probably a party or something)

Yes if someone like my mother died I would of course say f the job and go.If I can get the time off Im going because this is a close relative and I need to support my family member.But at the cost of my job (maybe for you, your job doesn't mean squat, but for me keeping a job is important) and why would I need a week off for a party? I'm asking because I do not know the policies clear as day (hence under 90 days) Nonetheless I don't need haggling right now. I just wanted a little feedback because I know some places do not allow anything if you haven't had 90 days in and may fire you

If it was immediate family (mother, father, brother sister, granparents) there shouldn't be a problem.
Too far out of that list and it starts getting hazy.

I'll still be talking to my team lead about the situation but thank you so much for replying, because I have 0 ideas about how something like this works and I would really like to keep my job

Does anyone have advice about fixing availability problems? I have been trying to get my availability limited to 24 hrs a week for months. They have done it twice. Very hard to talk to HR. HR rep is Very nice, but VERY busy, like all the Lods . I hate to nag, but this is serious . As always, thanks to all of you on TBR. Have helped me keep this job many times.

Talk to HR. You get up to 5 days of bereavement pay for immediate family and if the distance is over 250 miles or something like that. 3 days if it's less than 250 miles or non immediate family. And I want to say 5 hours for friends. Not 100% sure on this.

Your HR could tell you the actual rules regarding bereavement pay and whether or not you can get time off outside the normal bereavement leave policy.

Yes if someone like my mother died I would of course say f the job and go.If I can get the time off Im going because this is a close relative and I need to support my family member.But at the cost of my job (maybe for you, your job doesn't mean squat, but for me keeping a job is important) and why would I need a week off for a party? I'm asking because I do not know the policies clear as day (hence under 90 days) Nonetheless I don't need haggling right now. I just wanted a little feedback because I know some places do not allow anything if you haven't had 90 days in and may fire you
You only get bereavement pay after 1 year with soft. If you're under 1 year...its just a regular call out. But if you tell your HR..what its far...I dont think they will fire you. Someone at my store had a issue like that, all they had to do was show a copy of the death cerf.

Does anyone have advice about fixing availability problems? I have been trying to get my availability limited to 24 hrs a week for months. They have done it twice. Very hard to talk to HR. HR rep is Very nice, but VERY busy, like all the Lods . I hate to nag, but this is serious . As always, thanks to all of you on TBR. Have helped me keep this job many times.
Last time I changed mine the form was broken and couldn't take the max hours, so I just put it in the comment field (what HR told me to do). Knowing spot the form is probably still broken.

If its like family or personal emergency, just report the situation to your ETL and ETL-HR.

I had to have sunus and throat surgery 2 weeks prior to my 90 day. And the only place that my family insurance would allow the surgery was back in my hometown (5 hours away from my store). I informed my ETL and ETL-HR and they approved the leave.

Beareavement leave is very limited. Check with your ETL-HR for details. I know it has to be blood relative and there is some distance rule as well.

I've always wondered how bereavement works if you're part time. Does it work the same way? I always had the feeling if anyone needed time off for a death at my store it would be meet with annoyance rather than compassion. Hopefully I'm wrong,

I've always wondered how bereavement works if you're part time. Does it work the same way? I always had the feeling if anyone needed time off for a death at my store it would be meet with annoyance rather than compassion. Hopefully I'm wrong,
At ETL at my store once asked for proof of death. A copy of the death cef.

My mother passed away and I was asked for proof of death by the ETL-HR. When I asked to take a week off to help dad get everything worked out.

I scanned a copy of the certificate, and blacked out some parts of it in photoshop (Exact cause of death, weight, other vital stats other than time and place of death. It's none of their fucking business as far as I'm concerned.) Then printed it and presented it when I went back.

With being under 90 days, in my experience greatly depends on your ETL, ETL-HR and possibly the STL. In the past I've seen marginal or team members that weren't well liked have been let go for similar reasons. I've also seen marginal team members kept after calling out within their 90 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back