Archived Time-off requests during fourth quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does your store handle time-off requests for fourth quarter? Is there any guidance or direction from corporate in this regard? Is it first-come, first-serve? Or do you set some arbitrary deadline for all fourth-quarter time-off requests and evaluate all of them in relation to projected staffing needs before approving/denying them (unlikely)?

I've no idea on Target policy.

My own personal view has always been, I'm willing to work so that someone who has more of a family life than I do can have that time off.

There is no actual Target policy for blackout dates. But each store can setup their own system for the holidays. But it generally reflects all TMs and TLs alike. If a TM does need timeoff for something like a doctors appt, then you have to talk to HR or ETL.

My last store started out doing blackout dates from Black Friday to News Years...then it moved up to Nov 1st to a week after New Years.

But generally everyone works Black Friday and day after Christmas. Usually no time off request is approved for those dates. And even if you are listed as not available for those dates you usually get scheduled anyway.

Some stores will setup something if you work BlackFriday, then you have to work day after Christmas. then vice versa.

They just put the sign up by our time clock. No time off requests will be granted from the first week of November, until the second week of January 2012. However, I put in for time off on a day in November and got approved. I would imagine the earlier you got the request in, the better. If you really need time off during the holiday season, it would be wise to talk to HR, or your STL and give an explanation.

They did away with the blackout policy 2 years ago. now, there are "peak" workload weeks. the calendars are highlighted by workload to aid in the decision of approving tm request. no official rules saying you can't request off, but it's always up to the etl. the only factors are supposed to be workload and staffing within your work center for that day, first come first served. you don't even technically have to put a reason down, because they aren't supposed to use that to determine approval.

My personal opinion is the reason should be a huge determining factor.

About this time last year, I worked both of my regular days off.

As well as I worked the rest of what was supposed to be my vacation.

The reason why?

A coworker’s Father was murdered.

That was no BS, it was true, in the newspaper, I went to the funeral, etc.

In my opinion that rates a little bit above I want to be off so I can go to the beach.

A reason isn't required but, if you're requesting time off during a peak period, a valid reason wouldn't hurt.
Just remember that requesting time off doesn't mean it will be granted.

If you work mostly (if not always) in P-Fresh, then I would talk to HR and have your primary workcenter changed from Backroom Day to P-Fresh. Then the ETL-P-Fresh would be in charge of your scheduling rather than the ETL-LOG.

My personal opinion is the reason should be a huge determining factor.

About this time last year, I worked both of my regular days off.

As well as I worked the rest of what was supposed to be my vacation.

The reason why?

A coworker’s Father was murdered.

That was no BS, it was true, in the newspaper, I went to the funeral, etc.

In my opinion that rates a little bit above I want to be off so I can go to the beach.

I'm not sure that's really relevant? It's not like it was a reason they could've put down on a time off request form.

I am guessing the reason doesn't come into play b/c people can make up a reason just to make it sound good. It's not like Target asks for proof.

i requested the first week of Dec off and got it

Lucky I requested the first weekend for a family vacation ( they were going for the first week) and got laughed at plus side I get the house to myself for a weekend? Idk target owns my life I gave up on requesting time off it never happens I'm always rejected

We blacked out Nov 1 through sometime in January last year and the year before that, but this year someone got a whole two weeks off surrounding Thanksgiving, and I got Dec 10 off.

be friends with your over-seeing ETL, then do it, I've requested many days off within the last 2 months (2 weddings, personal things) and I just got approved for a week off starting a little before new years(going out of state). it doesn't hurt to actually talk to them after you submit it so when they see it they know why you are requesting it.

We were told a few months ago if we wanted to request time off for the 4th quarter that we needed to do it weeks in advance. I put a couple of requests for time off in December back in October and got it with no issue. We have a few blackout dates, but not many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back