Archived Time Off Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UnspecifiedUser

Today I learned, from the SL, the reason my hours, as well as several other veteran Target co-workers' hours, have been slashed from 38+ to 12 and given to new hires is because when we put requests for time off we put conditions in our comments.

For example, the system won't let me submit a request without writing a comment first. I usually just put the truth: "There's a theater show I want to see that day." I didn't think much of it because I knew there's no guarantee it would be approved. My comment was seen as a demand instead of a request.

One lady whose hours had been cut was because she wrote in the comments she had her hotel to her honeymoon booked.

It was made clear to us that because of an influx of requests they will be hiring new people and giving them the hours because we've shown we aren't capable of being available for the company.

Zero missed days, zero call outs, zero late clock ins and about 12 requests off between a group of us within a year. It just doesn't make sense. Especially since there was a bunch of us not scheduled for Labor Day and would have gladly worked so those who requested off could work.

We were told to look up the definition of request since we obviously didn't know what it meant.

In short, I guess I'll starve to death on low hours because of a theater show.

I can see where the comment I wrote could be considered a demand. I wish I had written differently. I learned my mistake. But I still feel like this is a bad way to handle the situation. Workers who have been there for years are having hours slashed to nothing while new hires with no experience are given 38 to 40 hours consistently. The store stays an absolute mess.

Should I try to hang on through the low hours or just start refreshing my resume? Has anyone else encountered this problem before? I feel like it's such a bizarre situation.

So they're punishing you for having a life? Daring to do things that don't involve spending hours inside of a Target? That's infuriating and it didn't even happen to me. I'm so sick of this weird culture where we all have to pretend like we all aren't there for money, that we would voluntarily and happily spend the majority of our lives at a retail store because we want to or something. I would call the hotline. That's messed up. "Oh, you got married? How dare you shift any focus away from Target. You don't deserve to be able to pay your bills." Like ????

Demand my ass.
You are putting in for a day off.
To punish you for that is unacceptable.
It sounds like you have management at your store who have lost control of the process and are going for the dirty bomb method of handling things.
If they are getting too many request and don't have coverage, then they need to handle it, not be assholes.
To say that you are being demanding when you are simply explaining why you need the day off is pure bullshit.

That is absolute bullshit and sounds like your store has piss poor management. Sounds like a hotline situation to me. Like the above users said, you're expected to not have a life outside of target? They should be glad you're putting in for the day ahead of time and not calling out leaving them short. You're being punished for doing the right thing and that is madness.

You don't need to give a reason when you make a request.

I also am curious if this is really true... there are people at my store who request 3 days off in a week and then get mad when they don't get 40 hours? Um What?

It doesn't benefit your store in any way to give new people 40 and you only 12.

Demand my ass.
You are putting in for a day off.
To punish you for that is unacceptable.
It sounds like you have management at your store who have lost control of the process and are going for the dirty bomb method of handling things.
If they are getting too many request and don't have coverage, then they need to handle it, not be assholes.
To say that you are being demanding when you are simply explaining why you need the day off is pure bullshit.

This all day long.. I put in for days off all the time, why? Cause I earned those days off!!!! Be a fucking manager and manage.

Other is always the reason: I have earned vacation hours I would like to use. Is what you put. Nothing beyond that is their business.

I would on the hotline, cause that is bullshit with all the talk we get about work life balance and it is an earned benefit, that we can't carry over anymore and stack a huge amount of time off you have to take it now..

I don't think you need to be so specific , every request I have ever submitted I put the reason as personal and the chase up etl to approve it as soon as possible as requests in our store usually auto delete.

So they're punishing you for having a life? Daring to do things that don't involve spending hours inside of a Target? That's infuriating and it didn't even happen to me. I'm so sick of this weird culture where we all have to pretend like we all aren't there for money, that we would voluntarily and happily spend the majority of our lives at a retail store because we want to or something. I would call the hotline. That's messed up. "Oh, you got married? How dare you shift any focus away from Target. You don't deserve to be able to pay your bills." Like ????

This 100%. I made an announcement on social media a couple months ago about my intentions for a vacation in October and within a week one of my supervisors told me I wasn't "thinking about the needs of the business." Like "I'm sorry the two weeks is such an inconvenience for the business" Meanwhile it's ok for her to take vacations whenever she feels like it.

I have seen this done.

Rationing of hours. Your store rather pay out hours to new hires than experienced TMs. Thus helps in managing out experienced TMs for cheaper wage TMs.

In my last years, my last store was giving new hires and seasonals 32+hr weeks where TMs with 2+ years were getting just 20 hours.

As for the filling in the comment in the TimeOff request. Make it very generic or a complete lie.

Medical appointment, personal time, vacation, errands, doctor authorized mental health day.

Last edited:
I have seen this done.

Rationing of hours. Your store rather pay out hours to new hires than experienced TMs. Thus helps in managing out experienced TMs for cheaper wage TMs.

In my last years, my last store were giving new hires and seasonals 32+hr weeks where TMs with 2+ years were getting just 20 hours.

As for the filling in the comment in the TimeOff request. Make it very generic or a complete lie.

Medical appointment, personal time, vacation, errands, doctor authorized mental health day.

This is very true. Target prefers to give hours to new employees that are paid less and don't have benefits.

I also am curious if this is really true... there are people at my store who request 3 days off in a week and then get mad when they don't get 40 hours? Um What?

This BS response is why hr in the stores is not trusted and disliked.

I can answer those. We have vindictive ETL's who when you take time off will gut your hours since she had to get off her ass and figure out how to cover it.

Some stores give out the hours to the newbies since while they screw up everything since no one does any training. they can be manipulated into doing whatever pet project an ETL has that day. Or don't know enough to say "enough" when they get tasks piled on them that they will never finish. Where a seasoned TM will tell that ETL to politely - to go fornicate with themselves.

This BS response is why hr in the stores is not trusted and disliked.

Explain to me why it's bs. I'm waiting

If the original posters story is true that's awful and shame on their stores leaders but it's so awful I was at least hoping they were exaggerating how bad things are.

Last edited:
This is very true. Target prefers to give hours to new employees that are paid less and don't have benefits.

Not true at all at my store. And some new people make as much as 8 year veterans at my store due to minimum wage increases.

Stores are allocated hours, not money for payroll. So that's meaningless to say they schedule newbies over vets just because they're paid less.

Excuse me , target is actually taking into full consideration that you have a life, and making the effort so these people can have time to enjoy things. With a 12 hr/week schedule they won't miss a day of work , or a theater show, or a holloween for their wedding, win win M Fers, win , win.!

Excuse me , target is actually taking into full consideration that you have a life, and making the effort so these people can have time to enjoy things. With a 12 hr/week schedule they won't miss a day of work , or a theater show, or a holloween for their wedding, win win M Fers, win , win.!
You forgot the sarcasm font.

That is absolute bullshit and sounds like your store has piss poor management. Sounds like a hotline situation to me. Like the above users said, you're expected to not have a life outside of target? They should be glad you're putting in for the day ahead of time and not calling out leaving them short. You're being punished for doing the right thing and that is madness.

I considered the hotline, mainly because I felt intimidated and threatened by the way the SL spoke to us. Seems silly, I know
But what on earth could I say? Its their word against mine and the others that were in there with me. I'm not great at sticking up for myself in these types of situations. I'm legitimately afraid to put in another request because I don't want to get fired. I know the others in the room with me are concerned about putting in future requests also. The whole situation feels stupid. No, the whole situation is stupid.

The computer won't let me enter a request without giving a reason. Then if I don't type some kind of comment it just flickers then tells me I can't submit it without giving a comment. Am I doing something wrong then?

My side of the story is true. I have to assume their side is true as well. I don't know why they would gather us to give such a reason otherwise. Or even mention it in such a context.

That's all kinds of crazy.
I put the reason I'm taking off so that if they miss it, they'll know they need to cover my work center because I'm not coming in.
I take off for fun stuff every month: Vegas etc.

I thought about taking the "Call out if denied" approach but just today there's been talk that they've begun threatening to fire people if they do that.

Explain to me why it's bs. I'm waiting

If the original posters story is true that's awful and shame on their stores leaders but it's so awful I was at least hoping they were exaggerating how bad things are.

It's true. Like I said, it's a very bizarre situation.

Exactly. I never do. It's none of their business. Maybe it's different because I'm overnight, but I've always gotten my requested days off...off. Of course I put in my requests sometimes months in advance.

To the OP - when you pick "other" as your reason it will request a reason. There are other options in the drop down box, you could tick a different reason or just "I have time off I would like to use" as your reason. It fills out the requirement for a reason and gives the asshole ETL not a clue of what you will be doing on your time off.

These ETL's are bad managers, was the HR leadership giving this speech about firing or taking hours from those who use they EARNED time off? If not might want to clue them in, that they might want to chat to that ETL about saying things like that.

I also feel my store punishes me hour wise whenever I ask time off. I took a weekend off before labor day weekend to see my family. Entire week I had only one 6.50 hour shift, while the store was frantically looking for cashier hours(we have many signs up for hiring still and in our break room and office we have posters asking TMs to get cashiering hours)

I changed my availability for that week to work every day, at any time. So stupid lol, kind of why I need to get out of retail. Well, maybe not retail itself, but Spot.

I also feel my store punishes me hour wise whenever I ask time off.
That happens at my store too. Every time I would ask for one random day off, they'd short me a shift that week (at least one shift). I always asked to be added back on the schedule and I think they got tired of putting me back on, because I get my 4 days now even when I ask for time off. LOL (note: We work 10 hour o/n shifts, so 4 days is 38.5 hours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back