Tips for kitchen department

I’m stuck as a general merch in kitchen and the batch I have to pull for autos is home. What are some tips to speed up the process to go faster on auto pulls and pushing them.

I’m stuck as a general merch in kitchen and the batch I have to pull for autos is home. What are some tips to speed up the process to go faster on auto pulls and pushing them.
If you’re going to be in kitchen for a while i would start with your normal pull the first day, make sure you’re updating SFQ and capacities especially for any items you pull and need to backstock so they don’t pull again when you don’t actually need it. The days you have time I would start dropping manuals/pull the OOS for your department and if you keep up with it, your autos in the morning will start getting smaller until it only pulls what you actually need like critical lows and outs. That’s really the only advice I can give about any department that will definitely make your life easier with pulls and pushing. Do it right the first time and your life will get so much easier

The more on the floor, the smaller your pulls. Work with your TL if you have large quantities of something in back.

Please spider wrap your items.
Damn they used to make us do that for high end keurigs and such but now they tell us not to bother. Weird.
My advice: after you push your auto or maybe as you push it shoot an exf and hold it in the gun for when you get time to pull it. If you pull the exf less will go out and you'll have more backstock and less time opening boxes on the floor. It doesn't work all the time but it helps in the long run. Also flex when applicable. Ask a TL if you have a lot of outs if you can print some labels and get shit out of your backroom. It's time consuming but more roomin the home aisle is nothing to laugh at. Our home aisle in the back is so stuffed and we cant fit a damn thing on the floor. Good luck. I respect that section a ton. Home and Plug are a pain.

Last edited:
ASANTS; We have 2 DBOs. One in Small Appliances, who owns the push for small appliances and the 1-for-1 pulls in PLUG. We also have a DBO in Kitchen, who sorts and stocks the SSZ4 repacks and pulls the 1-for-1s in HOME (which also includes decorative home items). Are you doing both areas, or is your store similar in how it breaks up the workload between two DBOs? Our Kitchen DBO doesn't typically push any small appliances (so they don't spider wrap anything either). But, they do push a lot of small items. As @GS4lyfe mentioned, EXF as you push will manage your counts, and maintain the size of your 1-for-1 pull batch. Adjusting capacities to be accurate, not over-pushing and making sure on-floor counts are right before backstocking, while prevent unnecessary items coming out in the pull. You might need to reprofile your backroom aisle to better accommodate all your small items (more open space wacos). This will limit the amount of full cases being pulled for 1-2 items.

Work your d-code out early. Keep your endcaps full (this will keep a lot of items out of the back). Zone. Adhere to your routines and you should be fine. Some truck days, our Kitchen DBO has about 10 repacks and some days it could be 30... if you don't partner with a lead and let them know you might be rolling freight... you will be seen as an ineffective TM. Keep leads in the know, especially when you need help.

ASANTS; We have 2 DBOs. One in Small Appliances, who owns the push for small appliances and the 1-for-1 pulls in PLUG. We also have a DBO in Kitchen, who sorts and stocks the SSZ4 repacks and pulls the 1-for-1s in HOME (which also includes decorative home items). Are you doing both areas, or is your store similar in how it breaks up the workload between two DBOs? Our Kitchen DBO doesn't typically push any small appliances (so they don't spider wrap anything either). But, they do push a lot of small items. As @GS4lyfe mentioned, EXF as you push will manage your counts, and maintain the size of your 1-for-1 pull batch. Adjusting capacities to be accurate, not over-pushing and making sure on-floor counts are right before backstocking, while prevent unnecessary items coming out in the pull. You might need to reprofile your backroom aisle to better accommodate all your small items (more open space wacos). This will limit the amount of full cases being pulled for 1-2 items.

Work your d-code out early. Keep your endcaps full (this will keep a lot of items out of the back). Zone. Adhere to your routines and you should be fine. Some truck days, our Kitchen DBO has about 10 repacks and some days it could be 30... if you don't partner with a lead and let them know you might be rolling freight... you will be seen as an ineffective TM. Keep leads in the know, especially when you need help.
how many aisles do you have for home and how many for plug?? we have one own the whole area and he barely gets it done on time and he's a beast at working...jesus-- so one owns home and one owns plug I guess?

how many aisles do you have for home and how many for plug?? we have one own the whole area and he barely gets it done on time and he's a beast at working...jesus-- so one owns home and one owns plug I guess?

It's about 10 for each counting back walls.

It's about 10 for each counting back walls.
ah thats weird we got from 22 to I believe 35 so like 13 aisles I guess.
and one guy owns the whole area...does that mean he's getting overworked maybe? edit: I mean hes in shape and young but it still feels like a lot to do with all the plastic and shit he has to remove and take care of.

Don't think people realize how item intense kitchen can be. I personally think its a lot for just one person. Our store is kitchen and small appliances. The amount of detrashing alone!!

Still the same as any area imo. Update sfq and capacity. Audit outs and lows. Get your inventory numbers as close to perfect as possible. Keep doing your pulls. You should get to a point where you are not getting items you dont need except for endcaps and transition and making your pull smaller each day. Obviously this is perfect world and if your behind it seems overwhelming to get to that point. Just keep doing audits and pulls and it will get better.

Back