Archived Tips on how to drive the Wave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to sound incredibly stupid, but I am getting more backroom shifts where I am by myself or with one other person and I need to know how to maneuver the wave in a way that doesn't take forever and make me look like an idiot. Every time I get on the stupid thing I can never control it in the way I want. Even in turtle mode it feels bulky and imprecise. Does anyone have any tips on how to maneuver it better outside of just practice? I usually don't have a ton of extra time to just fiddle with it because I have a lot to do because I usually work truck days. I especially have difficulty backing up without veering to the right or left.
Extra: 1.For verification if I want to back up to the left which way should i move the turning controls on the left hand side.
Thanks

The hardest part is backing up and maneuvering. You cant think its like a car since the front wheels can go in a 360 motion. Think of it like a shopping cart. My first time it was a little confusing too. Honestly the best way is just to practice and in no time you will be a expert at it. Plus the turtle mode is kind of a handicap when learning because you cant get the wheels to go where you want them to go. Good Luck

Everything that signzero said. Personally my biggest difficulty is that I'm always bumping into stuff with those stupid bumpers on the sides. Just practice practice practice and accept that you may have to look silly at first, but remember we were all new on it at some point.

dumb question, where's the 'get the hell out of turtle mode' button/knob?

Right side finger switch. Should be two. One for 1 hand mode and one for slow/fast.

Close the safety doors too. Always look around 360 for 10 seconds first, before you drive the crown to be safe & know your surroundings. Practice in the biggest area for the back room. Start by moving forward, then backwards, with no turns. Next step is do a left or right 360 without moving backward or forward. Then practice going up & down, with one hand switch.

Think of it as a shopping cart with two motors -- one motor for forward/backward, and then another motor independent of the other for left-right rotating where the rear is the pivot point. I think the greatest tip I can give you is to rarely use the turtle mode and instead use the 1-handed mode to go slower. You can just barely twist the forward/backward and it will go even slower. Getting the front wheels in exactly the right place takes some weird kind of witchcraft that few people possess, so you're probably among many who also struggle with more precise angles..

To go back and to the left (after checking your surroundings), I would advise scooting forward some first to make it so the front wheels will actually go straight back instead of at an unexpected angle, then going directly backward in a straight line. Slowly squeeze the left/right toggle grip to the left to get a feel for how sharply it turns, and slowly ease off the backward grip as you make the turn and let the sideways motor take over instead of gunning both of them..

For going in reverse, you just have to commit. Too many people go slow and fiddle with the steering while going backwards because it is awkward. You just have to lay down on reverse and let the wheels straighten out first, then lightly tap a direction once it is moving straight to adjust the angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back