Archived Tips on storing softlines shelves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wave Ballerino

badges badges badges badges mushroom mushroom
Do you have any clever ways to store those oddball-sized softline shelves that are made of wood and metal, the kind that have to be angle upward weirdly in order to be removed/placed?

We got a new leader-type (one higher than DTL, whatever that is) who made us get rid of our outside storage container that we used to store things that didn't really have a place.. so now we've just got a shrink-wrapped tub of these oddball SL shelves in the fxroom taking up valuable floor space (space that could be better used by people from sales floor bringing back carts of random fixtures and never putting them up, naturally).

How does your store store these buggers?

If you don't have proper shelf tracks for them on the walls of the fixture room, you could palletize them and store them on top of the steel.

Probably the group leader. Mr. Knownothing has a good idea. It's what my store tries to do. Usually it just ends up all over the floor making the fixture room a death trap.

We just have a few of each of the oddball sized softlines shelves, not enough to palletize really, and when softlines needs one of the 3-5 of each weird size, it would mean a lot of trips up into the steel to fetch a specific kind.. We have a section of 3ft standards for SL shelves to fit into, but since they're the kind that requires tilting the entire shelf up, everything above it would need to be removed in order to get the particular size out, if they were all affixed there. I'll try to take a pic of the weird variety of shelves we have =/

Why exactly does Target even use such heavy duty wood-and-metal softlines shelves? Seems like each one of them could support a whole person each by strength and weight, but their only holding super-light clothes. Are they intended to be sturdy enough so that if a softlines member gets bored they can just lean onto them and take a brief nap without the shelf collapsing? =P

Well, if you ask anyone in my store, if the soft lines shelves in the fixture room don't scream "incident report waiting to happen" they aren't put away correctly.

I palletize most of the shelves, but keep a good portion down low on the shelf wall, standing upright (sitting on a regular shelf set in the wall as low as possible). I keep them secure by using furniture hold-back arms every 4 shelves or so. It seems to work out and the ETLs thought it was a great idea. My signing TM did this with some more, and used extra TV sign holders (the 4ft black bars) to hold them in, but they will fall side to side if it isn't full.

Hope that makes a little sense, at least.

I made a a series of slots in different sizes that you could slide the stupid things into using the bottom part of the steel shelving.
It took a bit to get them organized and to train the people to put the shelves in the right place but after a while it worked.

If you have any get extra convertibles and store one starting at the very bottom then skip a hole until you get to the top. Then insert a shelf upside down on each of the ones you just put on the convertible. When it comes time to set all the Christmas convertibles you will be glad you did so as it is much easier to wheel that bad boy out over trying to put shelves in carts

If you have any get extra convertibles and store one starting at the very bottom then skip a hole until you get to the top. Then insert a shelf upside down on each of the ones you just put on the convertible. When it comes time to set all the Christmas convertibles you will be glad you did so as it is much easier to wheel that bad boy out over trying to put shelves in carts

That's an awesome idea! If only we had an extra convertible.. We barely have enough for our adjacencies and whatnot

You should be getting rid of those and getting all bullnose shelves, if you have enough toss them, or at least the ones that are bent to hell. I just tossed about 10 because they were unsecured in the fixture room wall and came crashing down on me. Luckily I'm ninja quick, that or I'm used to how things work in the fixture room.

This is how I set the ones in my fixture room. This was pretty close to my last day so I'm not sure how it held up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
This is how I set the ones in my fixture room. This was pretty close to my last day so I'm not sure how it held up

Are the bars on the wall the deeper ones for softline shelves?
In our fixture room all of the holes were the ones for hardline shelves.

When you used softline shelves in them it was really easy to get them stuck if you didn't have plenty of room to take them out and g-d forbid if one of them got bent because it was going to get jammed permanently.

Are the bars on the wall the deeper ones for softline shelves?
In our fixture room all of the holes were the ones for hardline shelves.

When you used softline shelves in them it was really easy to get them stuck if you didn't have plenty of room to take them out and g-d forbid if one of them got bent because it was going to get jammed permanently.
Our fixture room was, originally, not laid out intelligently whatsoever. The bars to hold the shelves on the far left was completely blocked by an equipment cabinet for price change. There were like 5 other places it could have gone and been out of the way of everything but they wanted to put it there for some reason. The bars are technically for hard lines shelves so I put the shoe shelves in the slots from the ground up because you don't have to tilt them at an upward 45 degree angle to get them out. After I ran out of those I counted off how many slots I would have to leave to be able to safely remove one of the pain-in-the-ass soft line shelves. That's why the gaps are larger between the shelves near the top. It's strange, I've had issues with shelves getting stuck in the actual soft lines fixtures that they're made for, but we managed to never have much of an issue with them getting stuck in the fixture room.

Well, if you ask anyone in my store, if the soft lines shelves in the fixture room don't scream "incident report waiting to happen" they aren't put away correctly.
Someone hotlined about our fixture room. I was in TSC when they were talking about it and I chimed in "It's safe as long as nobody goes in there and the door stays locked."

Chuckles all around.

we just spent 40 hours two weeks ago cleaning and reorganizing our fixture room. Since we had that dumpster from transcend .. our fixture room was a holy scary mess too now its beautiful. we hang our 4ft sl shelves on the wall and stand up the small ones on the floor under them with bars separating them. the rest are palletized cause they dont need them all the time. i could take a pic if your interested but im off today and i have a bad memory

commie thats funny.. at our store the women think that they shouldn't have to climb a ladder so that's their reason for not rehanging their shelves. they week after we super cleaned the fixture room.. someone left a shopper cart of shelves in there (SL) with a note

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back