Archived TL Blocking TM Development?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFN

A TM at my store really wants to become a TL. He said he has the support of the STL, and 2 out of 4 ETLs. He said the problem is that his TL doesn’t want him to get developed - so the TL is stopping him from getting developed. Is that even possible? Can a TL get in the way of the STL and ETLs?

I think the TM is being lied to. They probably don’t want him to quit, so instead of denying his request outright, they are leading him on and blaming the TL.

It's possible most of the delevelpment will be done by the tl so they can chose not to develop the tm or give bad feedback to higher ups

This I am pretty sure happened to me, TL was afraid of losing me (I had been there longer than him in the position I was). I am suspicious because they stepped down about a week, after I asked to change workcenters, out of the blue. (Literally ran pretty much everything from SPs/Vendors/Steritech/Inventories for them.

Could they maybe team with another TL? I may or may not have heard of this working before.

It depends on the store I guess. At my store they won't override a TL if they strongly feel that their TM is not ready to promote or take on other roles.

I had this happen to me at a previous store. I was effectively the TL in the workcenter, and the guy didn't help me out because he didn't want me to move elsewhere.

Oh the look on his face when he realized he was the last time to find out that I was transferring to another store and literally moving elsewhere. I had the biggest conniving grin on my face as it sunk in that he would have to actually work. Apparently the guy who replaced me quit within the month and now works at Walmart. The TL was THAT bad.

New store hasn't resisted developing me at all. My TL is a bro. So glad I transferred.

a tl has more 1-1 on encounters than a stl/etl. so the stl might have liked an interview/encounter/desire to move on up, a tl could see how the person isn't ready for a tl or even worth development.

we had the daughter of a team member get hired. she was great on red cards so most of the store execs loved her and she expressed interest on moving up so they gave her a lot of opportunities. thing is she was lazy as hell and didn't need the job. she would leave early "sick" every weekend when she figured out someone would make her work instead of just wander the store for an hour or more. anyone who worked after her had to spend hours cleaning up after her.

once people heard and saw the things she was doing she went from fast track to tl to about to be fired. she quit because of that.

so yes possible. but it has to be something accurate IMO. if they didn't see that she left early so much, or have so many closing emails from others saying this person was missing they wouldn't take my word

The TM said that the STL and one of the ETLs talked to him about it several times. It seemed to me like it was an on-going discussion.

I just don't see how the TL could override the STL's decision, or make it so the STL can't promote the TM. There are other TLs that can train the TM. That's why I think they are lying to the TM, seems to me that if they really wanted to promote him, they could make it happen.

You can't hold people back, or lie to them like that and expect them to stay. Those are probably two of the main reasons why good people quit. I hope that TM doesn't quit until after the 4th quarter, if he does, that workcenter is going to fall apart.

The TM said that the STL and one of the ETLs talked to him about it several times. It seemed to me like it was an on-going discussion.

I just don't see how the TL could override the STL's decision, or make it so the STL can't promote the TM. There are other TLs that can train the TM. That's why I think they are lying to the TM, seems to me that if they really wanted to promote him, they could make it happen.

You can't hold people back, or lie to them like that and expect them to stay. Those are probably two of the main reasons why good people quit. I hope that TM doesn't quit until after the 4th quarter, if he does, that workcenter is going to fall apart.
It sounds like there's more to the story and it may be that the STL or ETL are lying to the TM or that there are other things that are preventing it. If he has any active corrective action on file he won't be able to promote until after the CCA expires.

while the STL/ETL may like a TM if the TL is bad mouthing them "behind closed doors" then yeah they are holding you back. the trick here is being able to prove it.

i went to another team 2 years ago, and sadly it only lasted 2 weeks. during that 2 weeks my old team lead harassed the team i was on until i was pulled back unto theirs and they became very cruel, disrespectful and completely unprofessional towards me even in front of TMs and other TLs. when we got our new and current STL, she got to her and she is STILL a b!tch to me because of that. "youre just negative" is how its put. when i ask on what they are basing it on im told "you just are" so yeah a TL can really screw you over and it will last beyond their time with target. as im learning.

while the STL/ETL may like a TM if the TL is bad mouthing them "behind closed doors" then yeah they are holding you back. the trick here is being able to prove it.

i went to another team 2 years ago, and sadly it only lasted 2 weeks. during that 2 weeks my old team lead harassed the team i was on until i was pulled back unto theirs and they became very cruel, disrespectful and completely unprofessional towards me even in front of TMs and other TLs. when we got our new and current STL, she got to her and she is STILL a b!tch to me because of that. "youre just negative" is how its put. when i ask on what they are basing it on im told "you just are" so yeah a TL can really screw you over and it will last beyond their time with target. as im learning.
Wtf? "You just are" is such a professional answer coming from your "leader".

the STL said to me that she had seen TMs become TLs but the team didnt respect them, so they had to be fired. we knew the team wouldnt respect you, so thats why you cant be a TL, (this is like 2 years ago now) people wont respect you. you think if you become a TL people will respect you but they WONT.

to this is say she should have never met my old TL as she had an ETL come to our huddle and remind the team she is our leader and we have to listen to her just as we listen to our ETL (who was on vacation). then explained in subordination.
i also have to say that if the STL's own standard is applied to her, then she needs to be fired as much of our store cant stand her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back