Archived TL/ETL Interview: Hired, But Still Waiting for Full Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major detail left out:

Was turned down for SrTL but transferred to another store for an open HRTL job where I hit it off well with the ETL there though the job was given to an internal candidate. He also set up an in person interview with the store's District Team Leader where i was signed off as hired. Now I'm at a point where I'm waiting for a position to open up.

My best advice to you would be to PUSH for an ETL role. If I were in your position, I would not take the TL role. They would never turn you down for an ETL role because there are no open positions, then give you a TL role in the mean time. If they wanted to hire you as an ETL they would do it even if positions were not open. It's very common for ETLs to have "benched" positions within districts, lined up for filled positions to become vacant.

Yes, Target is an incredible corporation to work for, but unfortunately it can be very difficult for internal hires to easily convert to ETLs. I can tell that you are extremely passionate about this job opportunity, and you would be a great ETL so long as you keep that drive. Just keep trying for the ETL position, don't give up but at the same time don't settle for less. It can be a very long/difficult road to becoming an ETL internally.
Ultimately, it's the DTL who you want to impress. Other ETLs have little pull compared to the leverage STLs and DTLs have.

I agree to push for ETL since TL is a dead end, but if OP was turned down for SrTL and offered a TM role with tentative TL bench status, I don't see how it would ever happen. It's almost certainly the same DTL over all of the stores involved to this point...and even if it isn't, the 2nd DTL would see the interview packet notes from the 1st and just go along with that opinion.

OP seems very passionate so id love to see them get hired as an ETL I just don't see how the situation could play out in that way.

OP-Any updates? I started ETL training and quite a few people relocated from out of state. Are you willing to relocate?

Well much of what has been said in this thread is just wrong... completely wrong.

1) You don't need 18 months in role at a TL to promote to anything, you don't need a week. Generally speaking Target doesn't like to promote people before that, but there's no rule against it.

2) You ABSOLOUTELY don't need 18 months as a Sr TL to promote to ETL. This isn't even a taboo (as #1 is).

3) Much of development is dependent on the DTL, there is no hard rule on how ETL/TL "bench" works. Well there is, technically, but nobody obeys it. They could be completely serious on promoting you quickly, or not, but nobody on here can speak with any authority on the matter without knowing your DTL.

All that being said, don't take anything below SrTL, your experience and education make anything else an insult.

Qualifications: 1 year TL, 1 year ETL, 8 years Army, BA in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back