Archived Tl interview questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly its better that way. every DTL and exec gives different questions in a very different format. my interview was a half hour long because me and him were just talking about Target.

It's true - there's no need to post Target's specific questions. They are based off of interview questions most other companies would give. It is all about gauging how well you will perform in a leadership role.

It's true - there's no need to post Target's specific questions. They are based off of interview questions most other companies would give. It is all about gauging how well you will perform in a leadership role.

couldnt of said it better

why do you want to work for target?

tell me about a time you made a change you did not like.

given the numbers 1 to 1,000, what is the minimum number of guesses needed to find a specific number, if you are given the hint 'higher' or 'lower' for each guess you make?

how would you market baseballs if baseball itself became obsolete?

if you were on a merry go round, what song would you be singing?

what can i say... i wanted to help the pre-newbies out as much as possible ;)

given the numbers 1 to 1,000, what is the minimum number of guesses needed to find a specific number, if you are given the hint 'higher' or 'lower' for each guess you make?

how would you market baseballs if baseball itself became obsolete?

That must be one of them-there trick questions ;)

how would you market baseballs if baseball itself became obsolete
what can i say... i wanted to help the pre-newbies out as much as possible?;)
Do you work for spot? You don't sound like anyone I know on .org site.

Last edited:
Dek067,
Indeed, you do! Welcome back!

Last edited by a moderator:
blood sweat and tears song?

Um, older than that...
I'll have to look up the artist but it was late '60s-early '70s. My older sister used to play it a LOT.
Lyrics started out:
What goes up must come down,
spinnin' wheels got to go 'round.
Talk about your troubles as the day goes by.
Ride a painted pony, let the spinnin' wheels fly...

Um, older than that...
I'll have to look up the artist but it was late '60s-early '70s. My older sister used to play it a LOT.
Lyrics started out:
What goes up must come down,
spinnin' wheels got to go 'round.
Talk about your troubles as the day goes by.
Ride a painted pony, let the spinnin' wheels fly...

Classic song, always been a favorite.

Per wiki:
"Spinning Wheel" is the title of a popular song from 1969 by the band Blood, Sweat & Tears

The best advice anyone every gave me about my TL interviews was be yourself, in a FFF manner. Don't be robotic and just relax, allowing your personality to show.

This should be an obvious one, but answer all of the questions even if you've never had an experience like the one they want you to describe; saying something like, "Uhhh, that's never happened to me; pass" is a guaranteed fail. These "tell-me-about-a-time" questions are, in my opinion, designed to see how well you can think on your feet: if you have to, invent and embellish to your heart's content.

if you have to, invent and embellish to your heart's content.

THIS... SO TRUE.

just pretend you are the best employee ever and talk a big game. be able to give an example detailing your scenario, who was involved, who you partnered with, how you delegate/lead/organized/etc., and who you followed up with, and finally who you recognized and how your results directly affected the company's bottom line. on every question. :D

best prep: get yourself a couple of job interviews somewhere else to practice. you won't be as nervous because your job doesn't depend on the interview, and they don't know you, so you can be a rock star.

Easiest way to get a feel for them is to look at the Leadership Assessment list and build on those.

Its all situational and "how would you approach" type questions.

And in all honesty, never talk yourself up like a rockstar. They all know how the game works and can see it coming. Be yourself, emphasize your wins AND opps, snd if correctable, how you plan on making them better and what that will help you do for the company. Its always bad seeing someone talking themselves up so much that you just feel bad for how hard they're trying.

This should be an obvious one, but answer all of the questions even if you've never had an experience like the one they want you to describe; saying something like, "Uhhh, that's never happened to me; pass" is a guaranteed fail. These "tell-me-about-a-time" questions are, in my opinion, designed to see how well you can think on your feet: if you have to, invent and embellish to your heart's content.

So true. I think there were only a couple of questions I didn't add some embellishment to. All they really want is the scenario, how you contributed/what you did and the outcome. It doesn't even have to be a good outcome, but if it wasn't ideal, they want to know what you learned from the situation.

I've done a ton of team member interviews over the last couple of weeks and the one thing that turns me off every time is "I don't make mistakes, I don't have opportunities/weaknesses, no one is ever unhappy with the work I do" Really? Well, I can name a mistake and an opportunity for you right now.

Really? Well, I can name a mistake and an opportunity for you right now.

:D:thumbsup: LOVE IT!! Just as you're telling the HR clerical that that candidate is not just a no but a HELL no. XD

When it came time to answer a question about certain skills and ability to cope, I told them that I had somebody die in my arms and went back to work the next hour.

They told me it was specific to Target so it didn't count.

/I didn't cause said death if there are any questions...

Talan, in my darkest days you can always make me laugh. Albeit, dark humor but humor nonetheless. :D

Anyone with HR Zone access can find the TL interview questions (parts 1-3 + DTL addendum).

Listen. I prepped developed myself like crazy, and here's what I learned: It's less important that you have a great answer for each question, and more important that you understand the themes you're being asked about. If you pick out the themes, you only need a couple answers that you can use multiple times for multiple questions.

Anyone with HR Zone access can find the TL interview questions (parts 1-3 + DTL addendum).

Listen. I prepped developed myself like crazy, and here's what I learned: It's less important that you have a great answer for each question, and more important that you understand the themes you're being asked about. If you pick out the themes, you only need a couple answers that you can use multiple times for multiple questions.

You were fortunate to have access to that. You will lose it when you become a TL. Only HR TMs, and Sr. TL and up have access to HR Zone.

Ditto on using themes, I swear I used one answer no less than 5 times during my interviews. Make sure you consistent between interviews, as the decision makers will look at all of the notes.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back