Archived TL moving to ETL but......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping someone could shed some light as to why I am able to move from TL to ETL while my store has a few SR TLs who have be in their role for over 8 months without advancing???? I am starting to feel some animosity from them even though I am qualified, have a degree and 10+ years management experience. I guess I am looking for an explanation to please them or at least stop the dirty looks. Is this normal, does one have to be a SR to advance to ETL? I feel like all my hard work is being disregarded because the other SRs are still TLs. Comments anyone?

You don't have to be a senior before moving to ETL. How long have you been a TL? If they've only been in role for 8 months they haven't hit their 18 months yet so it'd be rare to move them that quickly.

It's not your fault you're ready and they're not.

We were all hired within 5 months of each other, basically 2.5 years as TLs but the have been SRs for 8 months....could it be my degree that spared me from SR limbo????

If they don't have degrees, they can't go any higher on the chain. Congratulations to you!

If they don't have degrees, they can't go any higher on the chain. Congratulations to you!

False. This is by district. My ETL Replenishment had 8 years of experience, no degree. Went through the ranks. The ETL Log that trained me had 10 years with Target, no degree, on 2nd ETL assignment.

Hellojello - Congratulations! To skip Sr.TL is an accomplishment. Your experience, matched with a degree is helpful. It's hard to give an explanation. Why is my old Sr.TL, once an ETL before leaving for Blockbuster, getting the shaft to move up? Did you not try for ETL before coming to Target? You must have been liked by a lot of people and/or work for a district that promotes talented TMs within the company.

Target makes it VERY difficult to move up without a degree. You need a lot of support from your peers, your STL, other STLs and DTLs. I have seen a Sr.TL try with a ton of support only to watch it fail. So I would say without a degree it's not possible, at least in the three districts and two groups I have worked in. But this is an entirely different debate, which we have a thread for.

Being a Sr.TL doesn't give them the right to an ETL position, especially not the next available. Interning this summer has taught me that quickly. I have worked with ETLS who moved up from TM or out of company straight to where they are and feel I am in the position in this internship to do the same. You will do fine and just try and build a relationship with them because you will need their help!

When I was hired I was unable to have open availability due to my husbands health, now that he is better I opened up my availability and they offered me the position.

That is essentially what my situation was, I was taking additional classes and couldn't work evenings but as soon as I opened up my availability, a few weeks later my STL approached me

False. This is by district. My ETL Replenishment had 8 years of experience, no degree. Went through the ranks. The ETL Log that trained me had 10 years with Target, no degree, on 2nd ETL assignment.

Hellojello - Congratulations! To skip Sr.TL is an accomplishment. Your experience, matched with a degree is helpful. It's hard to give an explanation. Why is my old Sr.TL, once an ETL before leaving for Blockbuster, getting the shaft to move up? Did you not try for ETL before coming to Target? You must have been liked by a lot of people and/or work for a district that promotes talented TMs within the company.

Degree is NOT needed, but preferred.

If you read the core roles on workbench, the 'education requirement' reads:

"4 year degree or equivalent experience'"

What qualifies as 'equivalent experience?' Well... That's up to the person reading the document. Logic says, any retail or management experience could fulfill it, but if they had a candidate who had a 4 year OR experience, you can bet your butt the applicant with the degree will get it.

Logic says, any retail or management experience could fulfill it, but if they had a candidate who had a 4 year OR experience, you can bet your butt the applicant with the degree will get it.

Very true. Target tends to land recent college grads over experience.

Experience tends to expect more pay. Recent college grads are more likely to take a job because they're eager to have a job.

wow way to go! it is not your fault you have the degree AND experience to back it up! I am hoping I will be able to do something similar.

do all of your peers want to move up? I have a few TL's/SrTL's with degree's and they aren't sure they want to try for an ETL position

Congratulations to you, though!

do all of your peers want to move up? I have a few TL's/SrTL's with degree's and they aren't sure they want to try for an ETL position

Congratulations to you, though!

Thanks, I am excited....right now we have 3 TLs who want to move up in my store and our STL seems to be on board, I know thing are a little rough at the spot right now but our district seems to be getting their act together so we'll see how it all turns out

To be honest, I'm not sure why some people wouldn't prefer to stay a Sr.TL in a key-carrier role than move up to ETL. You don't have to work the crazy hours ETL's do (or if you do, you get overtime for it), good pay, set schedule, etc.. I guess I'm the sort of person where I like having specific parameters in which do to my work and don't like to have to put in "extra", so that's one good thing about staying hourly.

But that's just me. I hate retail anyway so it's no matter to me, lol.

Hello all!
I am a SrTl in my store in role for about 18 months. I have about a year left in school to finish my degree. My STL informed me that despite not being done, I have the opportunity to go through ETL interviews in a few weeks. From the sounds of it my chances will improve significantly when I'm finished, but I am pretty well known around the district from being a trainer so that might help. I'm just not sure I want the ETL job anymore. First I know it will become so much harder to finish school if I am an ETL, and second I don't know how long I see myself with spot. I agree with Wokka, I am very happy with my set schedule, pay, and being hourly! My long term goals are to open my own business so the biggest benefit to being an ETL for me is being able to generate more capital to use once I leave and start up.
As of right now I told her I am interested and will begin prep but mostly because I didn't want to waste an opportunity. If anything I'd rather do the opposite, like take educational LOA and finish my degree even faster.

Hello all!
I am a SrTl in my store in role for about 18 months. I have about a year left in school to finish my degree. My STL informed me that despite not being done, I have the opportunity to go through ETL interviews in a few weeks. From the sounds of it my chances will improve significantly when I'm finished, but I am pretty well known around the district from being a trainer so that might help. I'm just not sure I want the ETL job anymore. First I know it will become so much harder to finish school if I am an ETL, and second I don't know how long I see myself with spot. I agree with Wokka, I am very happy with my set schedule, pay, and being hourly! My long term goals are to open my own business so the biggest benefit to being an ETL for me is being able to generate more capital to use once I leave and start up.
As of right now I told her I am interested and will begin prep but mostly because I didn't want to waste an opportunity. If anything I'd rather do the opposite, like take educational LOA and finish my degree even faster.
You could also pursue an MBA as an ETL or Masters in something else. There are a lot of perks to ETL, personally I'd do it for the experience you may be able to reflect some of it into your own business once you reach that stage.

It's just a misdemeanor, but larceny is never going to look good when hiring someone for a job where they deal with money on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back