Archived To start my career at Target, or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so I've been working for Target since I was 16, started as cashier, learned guest services, flow, backroom (my old store does viper now so I know that too idk if that counts as backroom but I know how to backstock and how to fill) and now I typically only do sales floor. I've worked at a normal store, and now I work at a Target Express so basically I've done a bunch of shit at Target. I like it a lot, however I've been back and forth on whether or not I want to work for them after college. Right now, I'm a junior in college, and next week Target is going to be recruiting for the Store Executive Internship at my school's job fair. I know the recruiter and actually interviewed with her before, I have backing from my HR at my old store, my current store, and the STL at my current store is prepping me for the fair/interview. I know I do have an upperhand on getting this internship, but I am trying to go in with no expectations. Completing this internship essentially will line me up with an ETL position once I graduate. Now, I know that you have to work a lot, and the ~50k starting pay isn't convincing enough for a lot of new graduates, however I do like Target (for the most part).

I'm going to be honest, what's attracting me to the position the most is the ability to move and the security. My boyfriend and I are planning to move back to California, where he's from, once I graduate so he can finish his undergrad. I would be starting in the Central Valley. Another main thing is I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up, so it just makes sense to stay with the company I know. I've been studying sales, marketing, project management, etc. and all that stuff sounds super interesting but I just don't know what to do.

So, basically.....do I have a lot of opportunities for advancement within Target? I think I'd like to work for corporate one day, so it may be a really dumb decision to be moving from Minneapolis where HQ is but love makes you do dumb things.

Are there better businessy jobs for new grads that are better than Target? Should I start somewhere else? Am I taking the easy route? Be honest with me.

Target is good for building business acumen, gaining experience & it looks good on a resume.
Many other retailers snap up departing ETLs in our area.
Having 'grown up' at Target means you'll be able to go in with eyes wide open in terms of expectations.
HR is a plum position because it can get you into non-retail businesses but it's going to depend on what grabs your interest & where it will take you.
Good luck.

Grab the Bull by the horns, friend!

And good luck!

7e6VVCl.jpg

Being with Target for the time that you have, you should have already seen the good, the bad, and the ugly that ETLs go through. If you feel you can put up with all of that, then go for it.

Also, the salary of an ETL will help make getting settled in California easier. If you decide to bail after awhile, a management position at Target still looks good on a resume (although not as good as it once did).

I've known newly minted ETLs right out of college who, after only a few months, knew they didn't like being an ETL and moved on to other jobs at other companies at fairly comparable pay.

Good luck!

If you graduate, get hired as an ETL, go through a few months training, you are then in position for about 18 months...your DTL will be pissed if they spend the energy to train you and you want to traipse off to another part of the country, and could very well deny it. ETLs who have been with the company longer and basically paid back their training have a better chance of transferring out of the district.

Likely that internship may "require" you to stay in the district....it may not be an automatic transfer to allow training at another district for the position. Maybe someone higher up here could lend some insight into that.

Central valley target DTLs are awesome at promoting within. There is a lot of promoting and moving going on in that area right now. Specifically the Fresno and Bakersfield markets. The job market isn't exactly "flooded" with college graduates lol.

If you graduate, get hired as an ETL, go through a few months training, you are then in position for about 18 months...your DTL will be pissed if they spend the energy to train you and you want to traipse off to another part of the country, and could very well deny it. ETLs who have been with the company longer and basically paid back their training have a better chance of transferring out of the district.

Likely that internship may "require" you to stay in the district....it may not be an automatic transfer to allow training at another district for the position. Maybe someone higher up here could lend some insight into that.

Who cares what the DTL likes or doesn't like. When you take a job with Target you aren't agreeing to work there for a specified time period. You show up, do your job well, you get a paycheck. Don't do your job well, Spot shows you the door. Now days, companies consider employees as disposable--hire when bodies are needed, and laid off when not needed. College graduates these days don't expect to retire from their 1st job as was the case 30 yrs. ago.

So, if you want to pursue Target, go for it. You will be going in with your eyes wide open. Don't be surprised if they don't allow you to transfer either. They only allow transfers that work with their business needs. If anything, it will definitely look good on the resume if it doesn't work out!

I'm going to be honest, what's attracting me to the position the most is the ability to move and the security.

The number one reason why I left was because the job security and the ability to move isn't there anymore.

I've lost track of the amount of ETL positions that have been eliminated. Ops, replenishment, hardlines, softlines, food, etc. Business partners were eliminated. District resources eliminated. PHARMACY eliminated. AP is next on the block from what I've heard. Positions have been combined, condensed, and stores basically unworkable until headcount is made. Sure you're told that nobody will be "let go" with every new AE, but that new payroll threshold is held over your head until you've met headcount. Not enough people to close? "Oh, it's okay, you have an extra ETL-GE, that makes up for the 40 hours of salesfloor hours taken away"

And what is the one area where Target has actually INCREASED resources? Created jobs for?

Visual merchandising. Which was an outside hire.

Target has retracted job offers, eliminated office positions, made people move out to bum fuck nowhere and then took back what was promised.

Has Target done ANYTHING to promote growth lately? They even laid off a ton of programmers...which is insane considering Target is trying to STILL break into web services and sales.

I really don't know who still feels secure working for Target.....

Has Target done ANYTHING to promote growth lately? They even laid off a ton of programmers...which is insane considering Target is trying to STILL break into web services and sales.
To their credit, they fired them just to hire even more new ones. And about the ETL replenishment, ops, softlines and hardlines...if the store is making more than $50m a year, all of those positions are most likely still there.

Who cares what the DTL likes or doesn't like. When you take a job with Target you aren't agreeing to work there for a specified time period. You show up, do your job well, you get a paycheck. Don't do your job well, Spot shows you the door. Now days, companies consider employees as disposable--hire when bodies are needed, and laid off when not needed. College graduates these days don't expect to retire from their 1st job as was the case 30 yrs. ago.

So, if you want to pursue Target, go for it. You will be going in with your eyes wide open. Don't be surprised if they don't allow you to transfer either. They only allow transfers that work with their business needs. If anything, it will definitely look good on the resume if it doesn't work out!

That was kind of my point...that the DTL may not allow the transfer.

i'm of the school grab every promotion you can. its great on resumes and good training wherever else you want to go.

that said, there are very few etl's i've worked with that love their job.

In 12 years at target, I came to define the etl lifespan as 4 distinct phases.

Phase 1: Shiny and New. Everything is shiny and new, and you show up to work every day, most days working 12 to 14 hours. You use buzz words and try your hardest to make a real impact.

Phase 2: Disillusion. After a few months to a year, you begin to realize that you rarely have the resources to accomplish the result you are asked for. Many things are tied to your peers, who can't lead for shit. You begin to realize maybe this isn't as great as you thought it was.

Phase 3a: Burnout. You lack the willpower to make any changes in your life. You continue the grind for years, disenchanted and grumpy until you die of a stress induced heart attack or you get fired by a new STL who is in phase one. You don't really care though, you know soon enough hell be screwed too.

Phase 3b: Realization. You recognize that the vast majority of stores are a vortex of stress, tears, and acute lack of sleep. You polish up your resume and get the fuck out of dodge.

Phase 4: The Calm. Your life is signifigantly easier now, and you visit your local target on the reg just to rub in how great you're doing and to get the dish on some of your less liked peers. You act like you feel bad things are going poorly, but deep down it makes you smile that you escaped that disaster that dug a hole in your life for so long, or so little.

Never met an ETL who truly enjoyed their job.

Phase 1: Shiny and New. Everything is shiny and new, and you show up to work every day, most days working 12 to 14 hours. You use buzz words and try your hardest to make a real impact.

Phase 2: Disillusion. After a few months to a year, you begin to realize that you rarely have the resources to accomplish the result you are asked for. Many things are tied to your peers, who can't lead for shit. You begin to realize maybe this isn't as great as you thought it was.

Phase 3a: Burnout. You lack the willpower to make any changes in your life. You continue the grind for years, disenchanted and grumpy until you die of a stress induced heart attack or you get fired by a new STL who is in phase one. You don't really care though, you know soon enough hell be screwed too.

Phase 3b: Realization. You recognize that the vast majority of stores are a vortex of stress, tears, and acute lack of sleep. You polish up your resume and get the fuck out of dodge.

Phase 4: The Calm. Your life is signifigantly easier now, and you visit your local target on the reg just to rub in how great you're doing and to get the dish on some of your less liked peers. You act like you feel bad things are going poorly, but deep down it makes you smile that you escaped that disaster that dug a hole in your life for so long, or so little.

I think many of these can be said about being a TM. from Shiny and new to the burnout/realization.

I get to rub it in everyday when I show up for my pharmacy shift in professional clothes (no red & khaki)! They ask me if I like it, damn straight I do!

I think many of these can be said about being a TM. from Shiny and new to the burnout/realization.

I think some people are just destined to burnout and fail no matter what. Ever heard the phrase "if you can't take the heat, get the fuck out of the kitchen?" It just takes a little while for some people to realize that they can't hang.

I think some people are just destined to burnout and fail no matter what. Ever heard the phrase "if you can't take the heat, get the fuck out of the kitchen?" It just takes a little while for some people to realize that they can't hang.

Many new etls, even the fresh college grads, have a lot to offer and could really be very successful. Target has a bad tendency to push out experienced leaders because they do not fit the typical image of a target leader. These are the people who act as mentors and sounding boards. This is a big reason imo, why target has declined so hard.

I would not be nearly as successful as I am today without 3 individuals who took the time to teach, and not just tell. All 3 were termed at some point over my 12 years.

It's not that bring successful as an etl I'd difficult, it's that a large amount of your success is dependent upon many other people, and that can be extremely frustrating.

Target has a bad tendency to push out experienced leaders because they do not fit the typical image of a target leader. These are the people who act as mentors and sounding boards. This is a big reason imo, why target has declined so hard.
Well that sucks. But We're not experiencing this to that extent in the central valley of CA, which is where the OP plans to move. About 50% of the ETLs and STLs I know are 20 years+ experience. I would say another 20-40% are 5 years+ with Target, which isn't terrible. There are many mentors still around and they're here to stay.

I was 18 when i started with target as a gstl, im burned out lol.. Six months later, 19 in college and was told that I could not be a etl intern.. Which sucks because i need a internship to graduate from college.. So I might just say fuck it and quit lol! My store is the 2nd busiest store in the state.. We made upwards of 90M, but the highest self score we could give our selves was 83.. Honestly based on redcards/guest experience. But, its so fucking busy we're never 1+1 and we're in a area surrounded by young affluent professionals who don't want a FUCKING REDCARD.. They get miles!! Even with every register open the lines get head towards a block.. Annoying im over it!! Our etls are shit.. We have two etl-ge's one is there for support.. Until he gets placed its been 6 months though sooo yeah.. With 3 gstl's and 3 Gsas.. My peers and I are not on the same page.. I hold the team accountable and they let them do whatever! I JUST WANT ANOTHER FUCKING WORKCENTER! but the culture at our store is that you're not gonna move until your department is successful.. My orginal etl ge just had her status with another STL, and shes not going anywhere LOL.. So we're all fucking stuck HELLLLP.. Ps.. My crazy as rant (i know i have typos) sorry

I'm not sure this is any different in any other retail environment. Retail is hard on you. The hours are awful, the demands of the job range from tedious to overworked, you have to have a great deal of patience to work with a variety of personalities (both TMs and Guests), the pay is not all that great, and chances for advancement may be limited. I grew up in a retailing family back when specialty shops were popular, long before big box stores were even a big deal. Nothing has really changed. I never saw my parents. You know what you'll be getting into; there's just more accountability if you move into a different position. And frequently, things just don't get done correctly. You're still going to be responsible. Can you handle the pressure? I don't know the job market right now but Target experience is going to be valued as long as you have metrics to show what you accomplished while you were there. I would probably give it a shot simply because your odds of getting a better job will be improved by having had the additional experience. But I'd also look around to see what's out there.

I'm not sure this is any different in any other retail environment. Retail is hard on you. The hours are awful, the demands of the job range from tedious to overworked, you have to have a great deal of patience to work with a variety of personalities (both TMs and Guests), the pay is not all that great, and chances for advancement may be limited. I grew up in a retailing family back when specialty shops were popular, long before big box stores were even a big deal. Nothing has really changed. I never saw my parents. You know what you'll be getting into; there's just more accountability if you move into a different position. And frequently, things just don't get done correctly. You're still going to be responsible. Can you handle the pressure? I don't know the job market right now but Target experience is going to be valued as long as you have metrics to show what you accomplished while you were there. I would probably give it a shot simply because your odds of getting a better job will be improved by having had the additional experience. But I'd also look around to see what's out there.

It's quite different in many retail environments.

Retail management pay is also pretty solid comparatively when you look at education vs pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back