Archived Train new TMs? Nah, who has time for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFSFun

Ship from Store: Don't call it Ship To Store!!
Seriously, WTF is up with the non-existent sales floor training these days?

I found a new TM wandering around the backroom, holding a myDevice and looking lost. I find out its her first day, a guest stopped her on the floor and asked if we had any more of an item in the back. She scanned it and it said we did, so she decided to go to the backroom to try and find it...

I told her next time she just needs to call the backroom on channel 2 and someone will pull the item for her. She pulls out her walkie and asks how to do that. I notice the walkie is on channel 4 for no apparent reason, and when I tell her to just switch it back to 1, she is completely blank on how to do that. How can you look at a walkie and not figure out how to change the channel??? If you can change the channel on a TV, you can change the channel on a walkie.

Next, I ask her for the DPCI (so I can pull the item for her). She doesn't know what that is. I ask for the item number, and point to it on her myDevice screen... And she still doesn't understand what it is.

All I can say is where the hell was her trainer during all of this? It seems like she was literally just handed a myDevice and told to get to work after clocking in for the first time.

After hearing what some of these cashiers are going thru, it seems to be prevalent.
Just when you think it couldn't get worse, spot proves otherwise.

To be fair, there are going to be plenty of TMs who wont understand no matter how many times and ways you explain something to them. Or they really just don't give a flying fuck.

We termed a guy last year for that. I told him more then a few times to call backroom for items. He kept on trying to find the item himself and after not finding it would tell the guest we were out. So not only was payroll wasted, a sale was lost.

My favorite part of training the new cashiers is sending them out to zone sales floor because ours quit.

On a more serious note, I've noticed a whole lot of newbies getting thrown into the fire without hitting the frying pan first. We've pretty much scared off half the new people we've hired, the others stayed on because they need the money.

To be fair, there are going to be plenty of TMs who wont understand no matter how many times and ways you explain something to them. Or they really just don't give a flying fuck.

QFT. I am sick of telling people just because you get a case of "Widgets" does not mean you have to push all of them out. The response I got yesterday after explaining that to this sales floor idiot for the umpteenth time. "well shouldn't the back room open the case and only send out the two I need?" I shit you not. :mad:

I am a trainer. For the last year every single time that I ask when I'll be training the new tm I am told "we'll take care of it". I want to hand in my name badge that says "trainer" in case someone thinks that I actually trained any of these poor unsuspecting newbies.

My cart attendant was pulled off of carts to go train a hardlines TM a few weeks ago. This night, I was a second GSA, and we were slow enough I could've easily stepped off. Cart attendant has never even stepped on the floor other than spills, carryouts, and the occasional cart walk. I spent a week on the floor when we had two TMs just stop showing up. Solution? Grab the cart attendant.

Training is awful in my store. I bought something yesterday and the cashier couldn't find the barcode. The item had a clearance sticker though. He hits no barcode instead of entering the dpci. Cool. I told him what he should do and why. He says okay and doesn't fix it. Also the cashiers don't understand that different flavors, colors or clothing sizes have different numbers so they scan one thing a million times instead of scanning each thing/each type. I assume that's why so many on hand numbers are wrong. And why the cafs don't always seem to reflect what has actually sold.

After hearing what some of these cashiers are going thru, it seems to be prevalent.
Just when you think it couldn't get worse, spot proves otherwise.
My old ETL used to love, just key you in tell you hit total until you can't, follow prompts and you're good.

I am a trainer for the backroom. In the past three weeks I have trained three different people. Each time, I have trained someone has been when I am in the backroom alone and literally got to spend 30 minutes with them and that was it . I was told just cover the basics and let them go....to me that's not fair to the trainee and only setting them up for failure at some point. Personally, when training someone I would prefer they stick with me at least a full shift...then stay somewhat close by for a second shift. In the old days of Spot....they were stuck to you like glue for about a week...but sadly those days are gone . IF Spot wants people to do their jobs correctly they have to allow time for proper training. Don't just throw someone off the deep end and hope they swim. Spot needs to go back to investing more time in training for new tms.

Training is awful in my store. I bought something yesterday and the cashier couldn't find the barcode. The item had a clearance sticker though. He hits no barcode instead of entering the dpci. Cool. I told him what he should do and why. He says okay and doesn't fix it. Also the cashiers don't understand that different flavors, colors or clothing sizes have different numbers so they scan one thing a million times instead of scanning each thing/each type. I assume that's why so many on hand numbers are wrong. And why the cafs don't always seem to reflect what has actually sold.

I explain those kind of things to cashiers as I check out all the time. I also let the GSTL know what they are doing to fix it. Cause as In Stocks it sucks to take the blame for counts being screwed when you watch a cashier scan all your cat food as one DCPI when you have every flavor of Friskies we sell in the pile.

I explain those kind of things to cashiers as I check out all the time. I also let the GSTL know what they are doing to fix it. Cause as In Stocks it sucks to take the blame for counts being screwed when you watch a cashier scan all your cat food as one DCPI when you have every flavor of Friskies we sell in the pile.

It's hell on returns when they return every single one but the one the cashier scanned, and the guest doesn't have a receipt.

I am a trainer. For the last year every single time that I ask when I'll be training the new tm I am told "we'll take care of it". I want to hand in my name badge that says "trainer" in case someone thinks that I actually trained any of these poor unsuspecting newbies.
Wait, those exist at Target?

I've trained four people in the last 2 weeks. I was showing one how to push CAFs in infants and I swear it took him an hour and a half to finish one flat of diapers. He grabbed one box of diapers and walked slow as molasses down the aisle, then stood in front of the diapers trying to match them by box color instead of just scanning it... :rolleyes:

The handful of trainees I've had thus far haven't been horrible. Aside from one who is easily distracted and struggles to stay on task, they've seemed to do ok once they get the formalities down.

We recently hired two new GSA's, and my Sr. GSTL asked me to train them. It's been rather interesting. They're both good learners, especially compared to our last hire who recently got termed for attendance and performance issues (He was a complete idiot, I've ranted about him plenty.)

I'm surprised how many GSA/GSTL's we have going into Q4. 6 GSA's, one GSTL, and one Sr. GSTL. We might also be having our old GSTL come back off of LOA for the holidays.

I'm surprised how many GSA/GSTL's we have going into Q4. 6 GSA's, one GSTL, and one Sr. GSTL. We might also be having our old GSTL come back off of LOA for the holidays.

We have 7 or 8 at my A+. It's kinda ridiculous at this point.

We actually just took on two seasonals tonight. They both came up to the CLs to check in with me because HR had them scheduled to train... with people who don't exist. They used to, but not any more. So, 20 minutes into me training them, the LOD comes and steals them to do errands and busy work, and is like "eh, they'll be fine, it's only cashiering".

Alright, I'll remember that when we're at full backup and the lines aren't going down but you're too busy helping them to notice.

I've trained four people in the last 2 weeks. I was showing one how to push CAFs in infants and I swear it took him an hour and a half to finish one flat of diapers. He grabbed one box of diapers and walked slow as molasses down the aisle, then stood in front of the diapers trying to match them by box color instead of just scanning it... :rolleyes:

I usually do diapers with no device. I always felt like it takes longer with scanning. I always end up with the trainee who's scanning everything lol, then I'm explaining diaper placement for way too long.

I hate it when I have to train new hires as BRTMs on their first day. You pretty much threw these TMs to the wolves.

I keep on my TMs I train, I look for moments throughout the day where I can check their work, their pace and look for opportunities to fill training gaps and answer questions they may have gotten over time. The hard part is trying to get them to speed up early on without just saying you're moving too slow. I'll also follow up with them a couple days after I first got them to teach them shortcuts once i feel their understanding is solid and tell them straight what kind of workload they are expected to complete in what amount of time.

Luckily our store has such bad turnover in BR and Flow i can spend as much time training TMs because i sell it as a way to retain and develop talent. Hard part is we just get so many new TMs it's alot of work in itself, plus balancing my own workload on top of it.

Hardest part is always the TM who didn't realize what they were getting into and is unwilling to rise to the challenge after two weeks(the amount of time i give to new people to change). Two weeks is usually long enough for people to get used to the schedule and being on your feet all day.

Ha, I also give them two weeks to catch up. I'm extra nice to people I train but once two weeks are up, you better be on our level. I don't expect them to know the DPCIs for every center when bowling the pallets out but they match our speed when we're working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back