Archived Training a New Cashier

Status
Not open for further replies.

B26

Took my trainer quiz last week and will be training some of the new cashiers this week. What should I expect to do and is there anything I should know?

I was never trained, just thrown on a register, so I'm not really sure..

Thanks!

Learning plan, and there should be a cashier check for understanding check off pad.

Also ask your hr for the cashier training kit.

I'm a trainer...I've been there nearly a year now...I still don't know what a learning plan even looks like. I scare TLs at our store when I mention this fact.

Anyway, I just go through the cashier training book with them, in between helping guests (and giving them a step-by-step of what I'm doing). When we've gone through that, if there's time left over, they get some time to ring people up with me watching.

I usually print out a learning plan, but i think the cashier training guide is pretty silly. A lot of the stuff in there is silly, at least for my store being a ULV. The 1+1 is silly, i mean LISA and BoB are good things to express.

There's a "trainer quiz"??? Is this only for training cashiers? Nobody said anything about a quiz (or even "training" for becoming a trainer).....all I got was an "Oh, by the way, we're making you a trainer....you're going to be training someone next week" :huh:

Last edited:
Yes, theres a trainer quiz on workbench. Its a joke really.

There's a "trainer quiz"??? Is this only for training cashiers? Nobody said anything about a quiz (or even "training" for becoming a trainer).....all I got was an "Oh, by the way, we're making you a trainer....you're going to be training someone next week" :huh:

Wow, my store didn't even do that. They just say "hey [name], you're gonna be training a new cashier today," even though I'm not a trainer.

Spot's new training protocol: throw somebody at it & hope they stick.

This is fairly common practice at my store, to get one or two cashier trainees, the ( one particular ) GSA shoves the book at them, then THEIR training comes from me, or So-AND-So, or What's-HIS/HER-name....

While the GSA is doing....???

( Hint: See Starbucks, Food Ave., or just generally chillin' for further details... )

my store seems to do it completely randomly. When i got hired a few weeks before black friday i got a four hour 1 on 1 session with a trainer who walked me through every single thing with fake checks and coupons which was nice and the trainer girl was pretty cute. then during the next batch of hires they did a big group training session and put them on registers next to more experienced cashiers. and then a few months before i quit they had me train a few people even though i never took the tests and they didn't give me any materials to train them with, it was basically just "stand here and make sure they don't screw up." kind of thing

my store seems to do it completely randomly. When i got hired a few weeks before black friday i got a four hour 1 on 1 session with a trainer who walked me through every single thing with fake checks and coupons which was nice and the trainer girl was pretty cute. then during the next batch of hires they did a big group training session and put them on registers next to more experienced cashiers. and then a few months before i quit they had me train a few people even though i never took the tests and they didn't give me any materials to train them with, it was basically just "stand here and make sure they don't screw up." kind of thing

My store seems to have gone in the opposite direction. I can't necessarily speak for other workcenters, but cashier training has actually gotten better. I was in one of those group training sessions when I was hired (i.e. one trainer demonstrated how to operate the register as we watched), but now we use the training kit for every trainee. My GSTLs even make us go through the fake Red Card application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back