Archived Training other people

Status
Not open for further replies.

doxie71

Former Perishables Assistant
Hey everyone. So I've been with Spot for almost 3 months now (my 90 days should be here in a few weeks). I have not been designated a "Trainer" at my store. Other have and went through "train the trainer" sessions. However, I was assigned a new TM when closing and told that I was her assigned trainer for the night. With no advance notice.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind showing someone the ropes and I enjoyed having an extra set of hands to help. But is it odd for them to have someone who isn't even off the 90 days yet be training someone brand new?(It was this TMs first night ever on the floor.) I'm glad they think I can do it but just not sure where it came from.

It is also marked on my next schedule that I'm training someone who is already a TM, I believe actually a GSA in my area one day next week. Again, I am ok with showing someone how hardlines works but just wondering if they realize that I'm not technically a "trainer".

It does sound odd... but this is also a great chance for you to impress your store leadership, especially with you still being kind of new. However, if they're having you train someone in an area that you haven't been cross-trained in yet yourself, then I would talk to your ETL-HR about it. But again, as long as you feel comfortable doing this, you should take this chance and run with it!

Ah I did make that somewhat confusing on that last part. I'm training the GSA in hardlines. I think as a cross training. So that shouldn't be too bad as they already know how Spot likes things.

I think I did an ok job with the new TM. Like I said, I'm comfortable doing it, just would have appreciated some notice :facepalm:
We'll see what happens. My TLs seem to like me, so I'm guessing that's why it happened in the first place.

Thats typical...really depends on the TL and the schedule.

I was training new TMs, seasonal TMs, and cross-training people from other work centers within a couple months of starting. My store was a bit of a disaster, and it was fourth quarter between the back-to-school rush and holidays, but in my experience they pick whoever is available or whoever is most trustworthy/experienced to train if no designated "trainer" is available.

I was training someone in softlines after three weeks on the job. 6 AM truck unload. Everything out of boxes by 8 AM. 26,00 truck (mostly backstocked back-to-school stuff, though). We were three team members short and our TL was on vacation. We have someone designated to do Z-racks (I don't know why, but they act as if it is a difficult task. eh, I'll maintain my the humble status of box-opener/ cart-organizer until I am Z-wrack eligible).

I was supposed to leave at 9:30, but ended up staying 'til 11:50 after dutifully asking my ETL. Got my 15 minute break and stayed within compliance....I think....still pretty knew at this as well.

Sometimes the best way to learn yourself is to teach other people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back