Archived Traveler's Checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill of All Trades

hang on, I've got a blinker
My store doesn't accept traveler's checks, but that doesn't stop our cashiers from taking them anyway. The "other checks" --> "traveler's check" option doesn't work on our POS as far as I can tell so they're either processing them as cash or as a regular check- I have no way of knowing. 90% of the time they're not properly signed, filled out and countersigned. What do I do with them when I get them in the CO? Send them to the bank with the cash deposit? Send them in with the processed checks? I can't find anything on workbench.

Make copies of them, front & back, before turning them over to the GSA/GSTL/ETL.
They can look up the trans info on POS>EJ & get the TM# who processed it.
It'll be up to your leadership to coach, especially if they were tendered as cash (which leads to drawer shortage).
If they were processed as checks, send them in with the others to the clearing center.

Bumping this because while redeye58 had helpful suggestions on how to get coachings done, I'm still not clear on how to process these in the CO. I think I'll email sales audit.

Travelers checks go in with the regular checks.
They're imprinted at POS & are handled like your other checks.
They'll go in the same bag to the same clearinghouse.

I've never had a travelers check that was legitimate. Literally every time someone has used one at our store, they've been fake. And the once or twice I've seen one actually get accepted (usually by a new tm) the checks were also fake.

They are issued by American Express.
You can hold them up to see a watermark & some now include a hologram along with other security features.
They are bought & paid for by cash so we're not supposed to request ID but ASANTS.
They were originally issued in denoms of $20/$50/$100/$500 but AMex partnered with several companies to offer gift cheque rebates in funky amts like $25/$35/$40, etc.
The bearer is supposed to sign them upon receiving them, then again when using them (counter signing).
If neither line was signed when presented, we were supposed to decline them but that was dropped pretty quick & we just asked for ID but again, ASANTS.
If your store doesn't accept them but the cashiers are taking them anyway, let the coachings begin.

We accept them if all security measures are present (water mark, microprint, and WORKING hologram), countersigning HAS to be done, and the guest also had to write their driver's license number at the top of the check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back