Archived Trophy Shirt Controversy

• Thread starter Barcode
  • Start date
  • Replies 80
  • Views 8K
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to quote Ducky in Pretty in Pink, " It`s called a sense of humor. They`re nice. You should get one"
I am not referring to you Barcode

For the softlines folks what the heck size is 'womans juniors'?

The only way I think someone could find this out of line is if it was marketed to kids.

I think it's really only hardcore feminists who are complaining (Feminazis lol).

I've seen far more demeaning shirts to women than "Trophy"...

Truth of the matter is Women are Trophies in a way - considering Women are more selective than Men in choosing their partners. Heck even Feminist Women expect the guy to ask them out and take control (most do - not all). We have to win their heart, so why wouldn't we consider them a prize? :p In a non-demeaning way that is.

I don't think this shirt has any ill-intent due to my above reasoning.

For the softlines folks what the heck size is 'womans juniors'?

The only way I think someone could find this out of line is if it was marketed to kids.
The Juniors sizes are in Ready to Wear. Includes The Xhilaration and Mossimo Supply as well as some of the Licensed Tees like the one in question

No...no...no! Women are not objects. The fact that in 2015 a high profile company like Target thinks this is acceptable shows just how much work women still have to go. Many men still view them as objects to be acquired rather than people with their own desires, feelings and intellect.

You can view a woman as a trophy/prize without objectifying her. Fact of the matter though is that in 2015 even with Feminism, Women expect guys to intiate, ask them out, take control of things. Feminists seem to be making grounds on advancing themselves professionally, they can be CEO's and World Leaders, yet many seem content letting Men be dominant in the relationship/bedroom. I wouldn't say they're letting themselves be objectified when they put themselves in that spot. Not saying this applies to all Women, but some.

And I'm not trying to objectify Women myself either -- I would never say out loud that a Woman is a prize/trophy, even if I might think it.. I think the shirt is poking fun at the notion of being a "Trophy" in a satirical way.

The shirt is making light of the fact that "Men Chase" and Women play "hard to get". It's not saying that Women are literally a trophy (object).

Much ado about nothing. When we got them off the truck none of us gave it a second thought.

Long-time feminist here.
If a guy buys it for his girlfriend & 'makes' her wear it, eh no...
If she 'wants' to wear it, whatevs.
I seem to remember a pic of a silicone Barbie perched on the hood of a Mercedes convertible with the license plate "KEPT".
I also had Cosmo's edition with the Burt Reynolds centerfold.
Objectification is no longer 'just for the girls' as "Magic Mike" just proved.
Women can do what they want & deal with the backlash as they please; just like men.
Do they still get judged more harshly?
Hells to the yeh but who are we to tell women (or men) what they can/should wear?
Equality doesn't necessarily translate to common sense or good taste.

No...no...no! Women are not objects. The fact that in 2015 a high profile company like Target thinks this is acceptable shows just how much work women still have to go. Many men still view them as objects to be acquired rather than people with their own desires, feelings and intellect.

It's a SHIRT. This is the PC crowd going wild, yet again. The article called this "rape culture" like seriously? Sexist, you can make the argument for. Perpetuating rape culture? Oh piss off.

The shirt says trophy, indicating that the woman wearing the shirt is a trophy to be won. To me, that looks like the woman would have high self esteem to consider herself a prize, something you have to fight for if you want her. If a woman wants to think that, then by all means let her.

I'm so tired of feminists and the PC crowd trying to ban everything they don't like from the public market instead of letting the public decide whether it should be stocked or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back