Archived Trouble getting time off

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifewithtarget

datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
Alright, so I had a question and I've been thinking about it and I can't seem to come up with an answer to my problem.

So on July 11th, I requested the weekends (August 3-4), (August 17-18), (August 24-25) off. I just checked and only the August 3-4 weekend got approved and the others were denied.

Can anyone come up with a reason as to why they would deny it. I'm only part time, I rarely request time off, probably the last time was back in January. I don't have any attendance issues, and I have to close almost every weekend as it is so I wanted to take a few weekends off because I have friends I'd like to see and so forth.

I realize I could call off (but I never do ), and I can put my shifts on the board, but I never have any luck with closing shifts on the weekend.

You should ask your ETL or whoever approves your time off.
Do you work in a special area? One that isn't easily filled?
They might think it's unfair to other team members.
Also keep in mind that mid August is when students go back to school, so again they might not have someone to fill you.
Which is why you were only approved for early August.

That's what I was planning on doing tomorrow when I work. I work Cashier and Sales Floor interchangeable.

I understand that there are students that go back to school in August, but at the same time, I'm going to school and working there as well and it's not fair to me that everyone calls off, but the one time I plan ahead and take off a few weekends (not consecutively) I tried to split every other weekend, I get denied. I just don't see how it is fair for me to have to close every weekend and when I ask for a few weekends off, I get pushed aside.

I know for our store, we were told the 11-25 are "blackout dates" for back to school time and we are not to request time off during those times

Requests aren't guarantees. Asking for a lot of weekends off is also not a good way to get time off. And calling in on a weekend where you previously requested off is a good way to get a bad reputation.

Move on.

If you were asking for multiple weekends fairly close together. I would think that would be the reason.

It's probably just Blackout dates for BTS. My new store is blacked out for pretty much the entire month of August, but I still submitted a few requests (not full weekends though) anyway. It's funny because right next to the blackout notice there is a sign in TMSC that reads "Unpaid time-off requests for the week of Aug 18-24 are due by July 21," which to me means they just don't want people taking vacations, etc. during that time. Like another person said, if you do get scheduled during those unwanted weekends put it on the swap shift board ASAP and talk to some of your fellow TMs about picking it up (especially those that want additional hours). If they are just Cashier and Sales Floor shifts, you'll have a better chance, since those aren't really speciality areas.

Ask your ETL. My store doesn't even have blackout dates anymore, besides Black Friday.

If you get scheduled when you have approved time off, absolutely put it on the board, but it's not your responsibility to fill that shift. They're the ones that messed up.

Time Off Requests are at the leisure of the schedule writer, based on a first-come first-serve basis.

Thanks guys. I talked to HR today and understood that with it being a busy month, the times were too close and the fact that it would be unfair to other team members were some of the reasons she gave me. So, we worked out a deal so that I won't have to close every weekend and she's gonna try to mix it up each weekend so that I'm not consecutively closing every weekend on both Saturday and Sunday.

I'm just gonna try to take off a few weekends every once in a while and adjust my availability when school starts.

I got denied one part of my requested time in August, because of tax free weekend. Went back and explained why I needed the day off, and got it.....then they changed the tax free weekend (to another weekend I was already granted time off for)....our store is not good for telling you why they deny things, but usually if you talk to them things can be worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back