Archived Truck times

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long should it take to unload a 1700 to 1900 piece truck?
We start at 4 why time should we be done?

Uh. It really does depend entirely on how fast, and large, your team is. These things vary by store, and if you want feedback on it you really should ask your manager. As I don't work unloading trucks (nor supervise it), I personally can't say from my own stores perspective. It probably is something you want to talk to your TL or ETL about, depending.

thanks for the response, just looking for average times from flow team members across the board

On a typical truck the size you mentioned it normally takes about 90 minutes for our team. Of course that is not including any unforseen incidents. Such as poorly stacked pallets that spill. Double stacked pallets that are too high to be pulled off the truck. Things that can slow down the process. The goal however is to have it unloaded in an hour. The only time we reach that goal is for the smaller trucks. (1000-1200)

Our store can get it done in about an hour. We usually get a 2300-2500 piece truck done in about 90 min.

Take a 2,500 piece truck as an example. On a bad day, we can unload it in 62.5 minutes(40 cartons per minute), but on a good day we can do it in 48 minutes(52 cartons per minute, our record). The variance is due to call ins, frequency of trucks and how they are loaded. I know if we could get everything to line up right we could do it even faster. We have 10-12 TMs on the line.

Wow you guys have armies of people on your line. We have like 6 or 7 people - probably half of which are either underperformers or senior citizens.

Take a 2,500 piece truck as an example. On a bad day, we can unload it in 62.5 minutes(40 cartons per minute), but on a good day we can do it in 48 minutes(52 cartons per minute, our record). The variance is due to call ins, frequency of trucks and how they are loaded. I know if we could get everything to line up right we could do it even faster. We have 10-12 TMs on the line.

You have twice as many on the line as we do. Maybe you're a bigger volume store & have more payroll & thus a larger team. That would make a difference in the speed of getting the truck unloaded.

You have twice as many on the line as we do. Maybe you're a bigger volume store & have more payroll & thus a larger team. That would make a difference in the speed of getting the truck unloaded.

4am unload normall 2000-2300 cartons per truck... about 10 people... mostly old men and women. Truck is done by about 530-545.

Starting to see now that we are slow. Do you guys have the same two people unload the entire time? Do you rotate out? What technique do you all use?
I need some tips please.

We have the same two people throwing the truck for the duration of the unload. They throw, DC label side up, one scanner scans and pushes cartons down the conveyor to (depending how far into the trailer they are) the first backstock-sider who will push the rest of the cartons down the line to keep a steady pace. I actually have no idea but this is how I believe it works based on my one day of experience being the only person on the backstock side of the line (that was a badddd Saturday... good thing I'm a quick learner because that day had the potential to be disasterous based on a couple different things)

/offtopic

To add some info for you. We are a 6am store, pretty strong "C" volume with trucks 3 times a week. Last time I worked for Target, our store was asked to send people for a few days to a brand new store who had no one with experience really on their truck team how to do things. To break it down a little more, I made a diagram of things for you.

View attachment Unload.jpg

Cool diagram. You might want to reupload it to imgur.com or something similar because the board is resizing it and the text is hard to see :/

OP asks a question that has so many variables that it really doesn't have an answer.

For the record, I'm a prospective Target employee, which is how I found my way here but I don't currently work for them.

I have however worked plenty of trucks in my life and as I said, there are a lot of variables, beginning with what kind of team you have.

Other variables include such things as I was rolling a pallet off of a truck one night and it had been so badly stacked at the DC that everything came down on top of me.

I was fast enough to get out of the way, but we still spent a good 30 minutes cleaning up the mess, getting what was broken into damages, getting what wasn't broken back on a pallet, etc.

thanks guys. today we actually finished by 530. It was a 1900 piece truck but hey. even the best have to train before a big game right?
Our setup is exactly the same as the diagram with maybe 4 that are grandma's and grandpa's, 3 youngins and the rest mothers and fathers. So far we havent had any major spills in the truck but then again im still fairly new. One major variable is that I am in SW Florida and the the back of the truck can feel like 100 degrees EVERYDAY. I have never gotten out of the back of the truck and WASN'T pouring sweat

Here's the image again, a little bigger like Formina Sage said.

It looks like my store almost. I am ex greatland. My question on is your c store, is the process working? We have not heard much on the 6am & how it impacts those stores.

There was a bit of adjustment when we moved from 4am to 6am, but we've been there for about a year now and things have long ago smoothed out. We are basically done with 95% of all truck freight(push and backstock) by 11am. The only areas that might need a little more time are the bulk backstocking and staging any of the transition that may have come in. Our Flow TL is also in charge of Seasonal, so sometimes if they have payroll left that day the Flow TMs will get used to push transition in the department if POG hasn't gotten to it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back