Archived Trying to transition to Electronics TL / jealous coworkers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Some of you who have read any of my older posts might know my situation: I've been with target for a few months now working in electronics. Our team lead left the company a couple weeks ago, prior to their departure, the TL and Hardlines ETL have been training me on a few things to take over after our TL left (extra duties are nothing major - keeping up the binder, printing and communicating reports, helping the team drive AAR, and most recently schedule writing). The goal is to eventually get me TL ready so that I can effectively lead the department after my ETL goes on leave in a couple months from now.

I've taken extreme careful care not to tell anyone I'm being considered for eventual TL, and I've been as humbling and non-pushy with the team about AAR as I possibly can be in an attempt to earn their respect and nix any jealousy that might come into play if I end up getting the position down the road.

Unfortunately, a sales rep from the mobile side informed me this morning that on my day off yesterday he overheard two of our hard working / veteran electronics team members talking major smack about me. Things like: "he's only been working here for a few months - no way is he qualified to be running this department" - "He doesn't even do AAR!"
(Which is a complete lie because I have the highest AAR numbers in the department right now, and am trying to help some of our newer team members drive theirs)

I know I should just be ignoring the gossip, but this just really got to me today since the two coworkers talking shit both gave me my initial training, and I respect them both a ton. Anyone have any advice on how I can handle these types of jealousy issues going forward? Should I even bother telling my ETL about what I heard? Or would that just fuel the fire?

I think it's always hard for people to see newer team members doing things that they've never been given the opportunity to do themselves. I'd probably be jealous too (if electronics didn't scare the shit out of me, and if I had any desire to be a TL).. but I can definitely still relate to the situation. I wouldn't take it to heart.

It's also different right now because it's such a fuzzy area... they have to report to you in some ways, but you're still only their equal. If you do become officially their superior, it will become easier.

I wouldn't take it to heart. Like pharm said, I think they're just upset to see someone new get promoted. In their minds they probably think they deserve
the position. I'm sure they'll get over it in a couple of weeks. Telling your ETL and getting them in trouble would make matters worse.

Welcome to management. People talk smack about their superiors. Doesn't matter if they like you or not. They're gonna talk smack if you're their boss. It'll probably die down. Just have thicker skin.

The rep may also feel gleeful about stirring a little salt in the mix, sow a little discord.
I'd say don't acknowledge it but keep it in the back of your thoughts.
The old adage of "keep your friends close but your enemies closer" comes to mind.

Good luck with your development! And yes, as others have noted it's always hard when you end up passing your peers. Know that it will never go away if you make it, and you can always kill them with kindness. You can only do so much about the talk around the water cooler... and those that want to "let you know" about something that was said.

Just be careful. If you're just a team member and you are actively writing the schedule (not just having the ETL/TL explain how and why they schedule like they do) you can get some major hot water.

I've been there, just ignore them. Kill them with kindness and work your tail off. You'll get their respect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back